Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
What's your beverage of choice while translating?
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2017

My poison is coffee, mainly instant coffee (Nescafé or similar), although I try to grind my own coffee from time to time. It's hard to find true arabica beans.

Next, it's tea, herbal tea, or mate in between. Coffee is still my pick-me-up of choice in the afternoon to start translating or writing.

What about you?

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:48
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Water, water, water Jul 19, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

My poison is coffee, mainly instant coffee (Nescafé or similar), although I try to grind my own coffee from time to time. It's hard to find true arabica beans.

Next, it's tea, herbal tea, or mate in between. Coffee is still my pick-me-up of choice in the afternoon to start translating or writing.

What about you?

Mine is water. Always water. I use a big bottle of water to keep me away from coffee, juice, softdrinks, etc.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:48
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
In order of preference: Jul 19, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

What about you?

1. Coffee (used to be a big Nescafe Gold fan; now only from fresh beans)(sometimes with sugar, sometimes without)
2. ‘Builder's tea’ (UK term for regular tea with milk)(sometimes with sugar, sometimes without)
3. Water
4. Ribena (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribena )
5. Mate
6. Green/white tea

Michael

[Edited at 2017-07-19 21:10 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Nothing, usually Jul 19, 2017

I can't be bothered to go and get a drink while I'm working. I just sit there, thirsty.

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 15:48
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2017

[Edited at 2017-07-19 22:14 GMT]

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 15:48
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Water Jul 19, 2017

Lots of cold water. Alcoholic beverages make me drowsy.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
not healthy Jul 20, 2017

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I can't be bothered to go and get a drink while I'm working. I just sit there, thirsty.

Not good.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Disagree Jul 20, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Not good.

I think it admirable to be able to focus on one's work so intensely as to put off satisfying one's thirst or hunger for long stretches.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:48
German to English
+ ...
Coffee Jul 20, 2017

large cup of coffee from fresh ground beans with a big tablespoon of honey
green tea
kefir (in the afternoon)

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Water and coffee Jul 20, 2017

Water while in the office in the morning, and a ridiculously large mug of latte in the afternoons when working from home.

At the expense of losing part of my professional glamour, I confess that I never grind my own coffee beans... BUT I always use my cherished macchinetta del caffè. Does that replenish my glamour or what?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nothing. Jul 20, 2017

I gave up coffee and tea because they stain my teeth. Anyway, when I'm translating I'm totally engrossed and never think about eating or drinking.

By the way, the word "latte" means milk. So a ridiculously large mug of latte would be a ridiculously large mug of milk. Then there's a word "latté" which means nothing in any language.

At the end of a hard day's work, when I've stopped and turned off the computer, there's nothing better than a gin and tonic. Although it pu
... See more
I gave up coffee and tea because they stain my teeth. Anyway, when I'm translating I'm totally engrossed and never think about eating or drinking.

By the way, the word "latte" means milk. So a ridiculously large mug of latte would be a ridiculously large mug of milk. Then there's a word "latté" which means nothing in any language.

At the end of a hard day's work, when I've stopped and turned off the computer, there's nothing better than a gin and tonic. Although it puts me to sleep soon afterwards before I've had dinner. So not often.

[Edited at 2017-07-20 07:43 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too far Jul 20, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

No, my lattes (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/latte, http://dictionary.cambridge.org/es/diccionario/ingles/latte, http://www.coffeereview.com/coffee-glossary/l/, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latte) are indeed rather pale, but not that pale. I would obtain the same kind of product for my ridiculously large mug by feeding coffee beans to a cow. Just a joke, fellow animal lovers out there!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Coffee Jul 20, 2017

Real coffee, I make a whole pot sometime before lunch, when the breakfast tea wears off. When that is ready, I drink the first cup and let the rest get cold.

Every hour or two, I go and do a tiny amount of exercise or running on the spot while a cup of good-as-fresh coffee heats up for 90 seconds in the microwave.

If I am still working and there is no more coffee in the pot, I supplement with a mild Fairtrade instant, not as bitter as Nescafé. I have to admit I chose i
... See more
Real coffee, I make a whole pot sometime before lunch, when the breakfast tea wears off. When that is ready, I drink the first cup and let the rest get cold.

Every hour or two, I go and do a tiny amount of exercise or running on the spot while a cup of good-as-fresh coffee heats up for 90 seconds in the microwave.

If I am still working and there is no more coffee in the pot, I supplement with a mild Fairtrade instant, not as bitter as Nescafé. I have to admit I chose it primarily for the flavour, but it certainly pleases me that it is Fairtrade.

Does it keep me awake? As one of my friends once said, "Just that I can't drink coffee when I'm asleep."
After about four or five mugs of coffee a day, I wind down on builders' tea or plain water at bedtime.

Once regarded as wildly unhealthy, coffee is now said to help ward off diabetes and dementia.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Jul 20, 2017

Christine Andersen wrote:
Once regarded as wildly unhealthy, coffee is now said to help ward off diabetes and dementia.

Yes! We strike back now, after years of hiding our cups and mugs! "I drink coffee, and I'm proud!"

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
5 o'clock beer Jul 20, 2017

It means it's 6pm (time zone difference) and most of my working day is behind me.
To keep myself hydrated during the day: filter coffee and/or water.
Tea when I don't feel well, strong bacteria-killing alcohol when I feel ill.

We've certainly had this poll already!

Philippe

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's your beverage of choice while translating?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »