Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:38
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Jun 5, 2015

I guess most have seen that Microsoft is keen on offering a free upgrade to Windows 10. Does anyone know if it will create any problems with Studio 2014 or 2015 to upgrade to the new Windows version? I tried the preview version some months ago, and had problems getting my anti-virus working, though I hope that is now ironed out.

Roy

[Edited at 2015-06-06 09:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-06-06 09:00 GMT]

Pavel Slama
Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:38
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not needed Jun 5, 2015

AFAIK you don’t need to and shouldn’t be running an antivirus from Windows 8 up.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My question was if Studio will run fine on Windows 10 ... Jun 5, 2015

... not if I need an antivirus on Windows 10 or not.
Roy

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:38
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
So far so good Jun 5, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:
My question was if Studio will run fine on Windows 10

Working fine with Studio 2014 here.

Just by the bye, most antivirus vendors are not yet formally offering anything for Windows 10.

Dan

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Windows terms of use Jun 6, 2015

I don't know about Studio but I've heard some controversial stuff about their terms of use, like gathering any kind of information from your computer. So carefully read their EULA before installing.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for warning Jun 6, 2015

Will make sure to read it carefully, though usually these terms are so dense that it can be difficult to be really sure what they actually do say.
Roy

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would like to believe that ... Jun 6, 2015

babylondon wrote:
AFAIK you don’t need to and shouldn’t be running an antivirus from Windows 8 up.

I must confess I don't feel confident that Microsoft at last have managed to create as secure a OS as MacOS. I would be interested to know what you base this statement on. Of course, Windows has some basic anti-virus program, but I am not certain it will block everything bad that is out there.

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/01/microsoft-not-keen-antivirus-windows-10/
"Regardless, Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials don’t really score too highly in independent security tests. Microsoft, however, has made it clear that these solutions are only there to provide basic protection, and nothing more. That is the reason why as soon as a third-party antivirus application is installed, the default Windows solution is automatically disabled."

This seems to indicate that we still need something also in Windows 10.

Roy

[Edited at 2015-06-06 09:01 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:38
Finnish to French
Pointers? Jun 6, 2015

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:
I've heard some controversial stuff about their terms of use, like gathering any kind of information from your computer.

Do you have pointers about this "gathering of any kind of information"? Gathering usage information isn't anything new in Microsoft's programs: they have had the CEIP for years. Here is what the relevant setting looks like in Word 2010, for instance:

And this is not specific to Microsoft or even Windows: Apple does it to. See:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202031

So show me a link that says Microsoft will gather "any kind of information" in Windows 10 without asking the user and without providing a way to opt out.

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:38
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Back en-rout Jun 6, 2015

Seems the discussion is avoiding the original question "how compatible is Studio 2014 with the new W10?"
Anybody can comment?

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Re: Pointers? Jun 6, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Do you have pointers about this "gathering of any kind of information"?

Salut Dominique,

Not really, I was just warned by my teenage son. I googled that, and here is what I found about the Windows X preview released end of 2014:
http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/microsofts-windows-10-permission-watch-every-move.html

So it won't hurt to reed their licence agreement before installing the official version.

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Re: Back en-rout Jun 6, 2015

Amnon Shapira wrote:

Seems the discussion is avoiding the original question "how compatible is Studio 2014 with the new W10?"
Anybody can comment?

Yes, in the windows that appears with the "Get Windows 10" prompt, there are three horizontal bars in the upper left corner; when you click on them, you see a "Check your PC" link. It will tell you which programmes are not compatible with Windows 10. Studio 2014 was not signalled as incompatible.

I guess this is another way of gathering information about your computer, by the way.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Chances are high Jun 7, 2015

Roy

No one can tell you for sure at this time whether Studio will run without an problems on Windows 10, simply because there is no final version of Windows 10 available yet.

However, the chances are very high that it will. I base this on two facts:
1. I have tested Studio 2014 and 2015 with the latest preview build of Windows 10 TP and did not encounter any problems.
2. Since Studio came out in 2009, we never had any incompatibility problem with a new OS.... See more
Roy

No one can tell you for sure at this time whether Studio will run without an problems on Windows 10, simply because there is no final version of Windows 10 available yet.

However, the chances are very high that it will. I base this on two facts:
1. I have tested Studio 2014 and 2015 with the latest preview build of Windows 10 TP and did not encounter any problems.
2. Since Studio came out in 2009, we never had any incompatibility problem with a new OS.

This is why I expect that it will run flawlessly with Windows 10.

Concerning the antivirus, Windows 10 comes with inbuilt "Windows Defender" (the successor of Microsoft Security Essentials), meaning that you do have a basic AV solution on board already. You may choose to install a better AV software instead, but you'll have to wait because AFAIK none of the major AV solution providers already has a version that is ready for Windows 10.

Walter
Collapse

Line Merrette
Line Merrette  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:38
English to French
at least one antivirus works with Win 10 Jul 28, 2015

Good, I will run the test, but experience has taught me not to change OS too soon.

And here is what I received just this morning (copy-paste from an email):

Dear ESET customer,
With Windows® 10 launching soon, here’s an update on the compatibility of our ESET® Smart Security® and ESET NOD32® Antivirus products with the new version.
1. If you are using ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 7 or 8:
All current builds are fully
... See more
Good, I will run the test, but experience has taught me not to change OS too soon.

And here is what I received just this morning (copy-paste from an email):

Dear ESET customer,
With Windows® 10 launching soon, here’s an update on the compatibility of our ESET® Smart Security® and ESET NOD32® Antivirus products with the new version.
1. If you are using ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 7 or 8:
All current builds are fully supported and compatible with Windows 10.
o No user action is required.
o All your application settings and license information will be migrated during the Windows upgrade process automatically.

2. If you are using ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 6 or earlier:
Depending on your upgrade method to Windows 10, you may be notified that your current version of ESET security software is not compatible with Windows 10.
o In most cases, your application will be automatically upgraded to ESET’s latest version 8 release, after your upgrade to Windows 10 completes. In some cases, a webpage will open where you can download the latest compatible version of ESET software.
o The upgrade process will migrate all application settings and license information as well.
To find out how to upgrade to Windows 10 with ESET product installed: kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3747
For additional assistance with your ESET product contact ESET Chat Support:
https://helpus.eset.com/
M-F, 5 a.m.–7 p.m. PDT
Collapse

Ping Tan
Ping Tan
Local time: 00:38
English to Chinese
Couldn't open Studio 2014 after Win 10 Upgrade Jul 30, 2015

Hi all,

FYI, I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 (official release) today, and then got the following error message when I tried to open Studio 2014:

Service 'Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService' could not be started.

Have to switch back to Win 7 for now.

Ping

limlom (X)
limlom (X)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Trados error Jul 30, 2015

I got the same message as Ping:

Service 'Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService' could not be started.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 10 v. Studio 2014/2015

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »