Italy
Local time: 04:28
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Murphyland Jul 19, 2018

Hilary McGrath wrote:

What is Murphyland? Hoping it's not what it sounds like?

Murphyland is where anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Gaining citizenship can be complicated, but there are certain shortcuts. For instance, if you botch your own name on the application form, you are automatically granted citizenship.

This is the flag and coat of arms of Murphyland:

grabber-drywall-screws-23135-64_1000

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 11:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
Or Jul 20, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

This morning an agency I already worked with in the past (and which appropriately addresses me as sehr geehrter Herr - gotta love that) inquires about my availability for a project due next Monday. I tell them that it can be done and they tell me they will confirm tomorrow.

They just gave me the go-ahead. In none of those three messages they attached the material to be translated.

One more inhabitant of Murphyland? What is going on with everybody? I am tempted to send my "Please find attached the translated document" next Monday with no attachment, just to see their reaction.

You could act like a professional and remind them of their error. Humans make mistakes from time to time, God forgive that you ever make one.

[Edited at 2018-07-21 06:59 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Material to be translated Jul 20, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

This morning an agency I already worked with in the past (...) inquires about my availability for a project due next Monday. I tell them that it can be done and they tell me they will confirm tomorrow.

They just gave me the go-ahead. In none of those three messages they attached the material to be translated.

Be prepared that your murphy agency could in return ask you why you then took the job without having checked it, whether you are comfortable with its content.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Natalia Potashnik
Natalia Potashnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:28
English to Russian
+ ...
NDA Jul 20, 2018

Don't ask us to sign your NDA and lots of other papers "just in case to keep me in your database".

If you do not have a real project for me don't send me any paperwork.

Morano El-Kholy
Matheus Chaud
Gabriele Demuth
Walter Landesman
Marzena Malakhova

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Newsflash Jul 20, 2018

Just seen on Facebook:

The International Association of Translation Agencies has announced that all agencies worldwide will be reforming their misguided practices with immediate effect as a direct result of this thread!

Plus they ask that if you hate cancer you should share their post with 250 friends, although only one in three will do so.

P.L.F. Persio
Ramon Somoza
Matthias Brombach
Angie Garbarino

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Just found it, too: Jul 20, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Just seen on Facebook:

The International Association of Translation Agencies has announced that all agencies worldwide will be reforming their misguided practices with immediate effect as a direct result of this thread!

Plus they ask that if you hate cancer you should share their post with 250 friends, although only one in three will do so.

https://www.facebook.com/BeccaundRebecca/videos/1805022762910428/

Please share!

Christopher Schröder

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
One more Jul 20, 2018

Please do not ask for discounts or "best possible rates", and certainly do not add "we will give you further work".

First, we all know that the future work is a shameless lie, and, second, do you ask your doctor for a discount?

If you want a professional, behave like a professional and not as if you were in a zouk. If the rate is too high for you, look for somebody else.

[Editado a las 2018-07-20 10:07 GMT]

Morano El-Kholy

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rather... Jul 20, 2018

Lincoln Hui wrote:

You could act like a professional and remind them of their error (...)

I think I will still send my non-translation Monday. AND my non-invoice at the end of the month. I just hope they are punctual with their non-payment.

All right, I'll stop posting bull on this thread. It obscures useful messages that agencies should read about things they should stop doing.

Morano El-Kholy
Walter Landesman
Elke Fehling

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And then there's Muphryland Jul 20, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Murphyland is where anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

And then there's Muphry's Law, which states: "If you write anything criticising and correcting someone else's editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in your own correction"

[Edited at 2018-07-20 16:06 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more Jul 27, 2018

The population in Murphyland is growing by the day:

Untitled-1

OK, so basically you just mistook my name and working language. Everything that is relevant, that is.

Still waiting for someone to hit the trifecta of wrong name, wrong language and wrong due date.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dear outsourcers, I beg you, enough with tests

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »