Thread poster: Elizabeth Herd
Elizabeth Herd
Elizabeth Herd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:45
German to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2018

Just wondered whether anyone else has been in this situation. I have been offered work that I applied for on ProZ but am then expected to join Upwork. As I didn’t find the work on Upwork don’t really see why I should give them a cut of my earnings!
Advice would be appreciated please!
Many thanks,
Beth

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:45
English to German
+ ...
Job probably doesn't exist. Jul 19, 2018

This job probably doesn't exist. The only purpose of this ad is to make you join that platform -- and probably to pay.

Trevino Translations (X)
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Anthony Teixeira

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Don't join Jul 19, 2018

Who would pay the client to go to work? This looks like a form of manipulation. In your circumstances, I'd steer clear of hooked offers like this: there is no promise of further work, while untied opportunities exist elsewhere.

[Edited at 2018-07-19 09:38 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Who contacted you? Jul 19, 2018

Was it an end client or someone from Upwork (on behalf of a client)?

If it's an end client, I'd just tell them I could work with them directly, without any need to involve a third (or fourth...) party, and tell them what my rates (and other conditions) are right away, to avoid wasting each other's time.

If it's someone from Upwork, then perhaps ProZ staff should be informed about this?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Elizabeth Herd
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks. Jul 19, 2018

Great thanks - I feel there are some dodgy dealings out there sometimes!
Another one I have been caught out with is free translation tests then receive excellent feedback, am added to their database and never hear from them again!!!
Will avoid this one at all costs!

Josephine Cassar

Marissa Aguayo Gavilano
Marissa Aguayo Gavilano  Identity Verified
Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
If job exists... Jul 19, 2018

If the job really exists, and this information wasn't disclosed before you gave your quote, you could tell them that if you are required to join Upwork your quote will increase by 20% (their cut) and that you will charge X for the time spent signing up.

Or they could just avoid all these extra charges by working with you directly, their choice. The plus on Upwork is that they have to put the money in escrow, so at least you know the money is there.

You could also ask f
... See more
If the job really exists, and this information wasn't disclosed before you gave your quote, you could tell them that if you are required to join Upwork your quote will increase by 20% (their cut) and that you will charge X for the time spent signing up.

Or they could just avoid all these extra charges by working with you directly, their choice. The plus on Upwork is that they have to put the money in escrow, so at least you know the money is there.

You could also ask for an advance to be on the safe side.
Collapse

Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer

Elizabeth Herd
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Jul 19, 2018

Thank you to you all for such helpful advice. I have decided to give it a wide berth as rates were very low too so would rather wait for more interesting work and better paid even though the slack periods can be a little souk destroying

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Elizabeth Jul 19, 2018

As you applied for this job on Proz, please send a ticket to staff about this matter…

Ester Vidal
Angie Garbarino
Morano El-Kholy

Elizabeth Herd
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 19, 2018

Thanks Teresa will do and have now spotted contact names underneath !
To be fair, when I re read the advert, it did state jobs will be paid by Upwork.

Nuno Rosalino
Nuno Rosalino
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Shady Upwork Jul 19, 2018

I think this is a shady tactic Upwork has been employing to drive freelancers to their platform. I've already come across stuff like this elsewhere. Given how ludicrous Upwork's business model is, no wonder they have to resort to this kind of thing...

Slobodan Kozarčić
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
I would give Upwork a wide berth Jul 19, 2018

Elizabeth Herd wrote:

Just wondered whether anyone else has been in this situation. I have been offered work that I applied for on ProZ but am then expected to join Upwork. As I didn’t find the work on Upwork don’t really see why I should give them a cut of my earnings!
Advice would be appreciated please!
Many thanks,
Beth

especially for translation work. For one, even as a non US resident or citizen you will beholden to Uncle Sam. Secondly, the rates are particularly low and UW takes a nice cut.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job offer but then expected to join ‘Upwork’

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »