Hands-off headsets for telephone interpreting
Thread poster: Cecilia Gowar
Cecilia Gowar
Cecilia Gowar
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 4, 2008

I do a lot of TI and always dream of a headset with a microphone like those you see in pictures. I just use a normal receiver and get tired of holding it to one ear. Can anyone recommend a make/model? I am in the UK and need to buy it urgently so very grateful for any advice.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Any Store Apr 4, 2008

Just ask at any store that sells related items, I'm sure they'll be glad to sell you one.

Cecilia Gowar
Cecilia Gowar
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not any in my area... Apr 4, 2008

but thanks for the suggestion!

[Edited at 2008-04-04 20:37]

Cecilia Gowar
Cecilia Gowar
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Never mind... Apr 4, 2008

Just bought some from Amazon. Will report in due time if anybody's interested.

Christina Courtright
Christina Courtright  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:21
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mail-order in UK Apr 4, 2008

Try Plantronics, a popular brand - I use the one with an amplifier, you can control input and output. I don't know how you've worked without one!! Here's a sample link for UK purchases:
http://www.pmctelecom.co.uk/categories/headsets/23
Maybe it will give you an idea about future online searching. Good luck!

Cecilia Gowar
Cecilia Gowar
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't know either!!! Apr 4, 2008

I have wanted to buy one for a long time but did not know how to choose or where to look. I even asked my employers but they told me it was a question of "trying out".....
I have JUST bought BT accord 20 from Amazon (cheaper that at the BT shop). I read a couple of good reviews.... but at your link I found cheaper ones!!!
Thanks anyway! And you are right, that link is going to come useful!
All the best

[Edited at 2008-04-04 21:49]

Thorson
Thorson
Local time: 03:21
Danish to English
My preferred headsets Apr 6, 2008

cgowar wrote:

I do a lot of TI and always dream of a headset with a microphone like those you see in pictures. I just use a normal receiver and get tired of holding it to one ear. Can anyone recommend a make/model? I am in the UK and need to buy it urgently so very grateful for any advice.

You can get cordless phones with standard micro plugs for headsets like used on many cell phones such as Motorola, and these often include free headsets.

I also have a small doro phone with a micro plug that came with a headset for about $15.

I prefer the small single-ear headsets with the boom mic, which I use for the phone and also for Ventrilo when gaming: http://www.tiger.dk/show_p/6/452/50020002/1/11/0/ $10

If you use skype or call through your computer, you can use a bluetooth headset and move about your home or office while talking. If your computer doesn't have bluetooth, you just plug in a bluetooth usb dongle.

Elenacb
Elenacb  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
English to Slovak
+ ...
Plantronics Apr 11, 2008

I use Plantronics and they are great!

Best wishes,

Elena

Cecilia Gowar
Cecilia Gowar
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 11, 2008

To everybody. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and ordered BT accord 20, which arrived yesterday.... and they are one sided!!! I am sooo angry! Still have had no time to contact the company to see if I can change them. A lot of people have recommended Plantronics, but I get confused with the amount of models!

Clare Rubin
Clare Rubin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
Spanish to English
Also investigating Aug 24, 2018

Forgive the ignorance but do I need to buy a corded phone for these? I have 2 cordless handsets and a Samsung S6 mobile.

Many thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hands-off headsets for telephone interpreting

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »