Salary
Thread poster: Maria Conrrero (X)
Maria Conrrero (X)
Maria Conrrero (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Oct 16, 2018

Hello everyone !
Where can I find reference for in-house English>Spanish translator salary? Or can you give me an idea as what is the market salary for such position?
I´ve just had an interview and they asked me what do I expect. I couldnt say because I´ve always worked as a freelance translator.

Thank you for your help !
Regards,

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Where? Oct 16, 2018

Maria Conrrero wrote:
Where can I find reference for in-house English>Spanish translator salary? Or can you give me an idea as what is the market salary for such position?

It isn't going to help me answer your question, but I am sure that it's essential to know where the job is. Argentina? In a city or a "local" agency somewhere?

I remember seeing a chart of averages in the US a while back. I think it was on here.

Maybe the translators' organisations publish figures.

Maria Conrrero (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Sheila ! Oct 16, 2018

thank you for your quick answer !!!!
It´s an agency, in Venezuela. They told me they pay in dollars, they have offices in US.
So I assume we should be talking about US salaries, right ?

Sheila Wilson

Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Several factors Oct 16, 2018

The average salary for a Freelance Translator is $24.70 per hour in the United States. (Indeed), different sources point out, 16 hours a week, and earns about 1,500 gross, someone earns 1,700 EUR gross for 32 hours a week... depending qualifications, hours per week and work field (specialized, not, etc...)

Luximar Arenas Petty

Maria Conrrero (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Joel Oct 16, 2018

Thank you Joel !!!!
very very helpfull !!!

I´ve been told the position requires from 8 am to 6 pm eastern time ! that is 10 hours a day ! Full time job.
No less than usd 36.000 yearly, I am correct ?

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 21:21
Russian to English
+ ...
None of this makes much sense Oct 16, 2018

First off, freelance translators (or anyone doing anything on a freelance basis) do not receive a salary. They are independent contractors (aka businesses) and charge whatever they can get away with or whatever their specific markets would bear. There's a myriad different markets and they are all - surprise, surprise! - very different.

Second, there are precious few full-time translators who are straight-laced employees in the United States, so no average would be very informative.<
... See more
First off, freelance translators (or anyone doing anything on a freelance basis) do not receive a salary. They are independent contractors (aka businesses) and charge whatever they can get away with or whatever their specific markets would bear. There's a myriad different markets and they are all - surprise, surprise! - very different.

Second, there are precious few full-time translators who are straight-laced employees in the United States, so no average would be very informative.

Third, good luck expecting a company based in Venezuela to pay US rates to a translator based in Argentina or elsewhere. Ain't gonna happen, I am afraid. Different countries, different costs of living, different everything.

Do yourself a favor and start with finding out what it is your prospective client/employer wants you to do and in what particular fashion. And, last but not least, what the labor laws in your country have to say about it.
Collapse

Rita Pang
Jorge Payan
Andy Watkinson
Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Thayenga
Morano El-Kholy
Vanda Nissen

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:21
French to English
What are you worth? Oct 17, 2018

Why don't you look at how much you are worth first? How much money do you generate as a free-lancer? Most salaried positions here are badly paid: most months I earn almost double now as a free-lancer compared to what I was paid in-house (not translating as many words either). So an agency would have to pay a lot to make it worth my while to give up the freedom of free-lancing.

Klára Kalamár

Anna Augustin
Anna Augustin
Germany
English to German
+ ...
There may be public statistics online Oct 17, 2018

I was offered an in-house position once and I would have had to relocate internationally (which I couldn't do, because of my family), but I was a bit intrigued and started researching standard salaries in that particular country.

I would love to help out and see if I can find anything, but my Spanish isn't good enough to help out. So look for public websites or statistics from the government to get an impression of paid salaries (in the capital of a country it's often more than in t
... See more
I was offered an in-house position once and I would have had to relocate internationally (which I couldn't do, because of my family), but I was a bit intrigued and started researching standard salaries in that particular country.

I would love to help out and see if I can find anything, but my Spanish isn't good enough to help out. So look for public websites or statistics from the government to get an impression of paid salaries (in the capital of a country it's often more than in the rest of the country btw). It's also a good idea to look for statistics on standard living expenses and of course taxes.

And don't work for less money than you're worth. Never forget: They probably need you more than you need them, especially since you already have a freelance business.

Good luck!
Collapse

Eunju Park

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Freelancing vs. employed Oct 17, 2018

Kay Denney wrote:
most months I earn almost double now as a free-lancer compared to what I was paid in-house (not translating as many words either)

Good for you!
Of course, you compare your earnings as a freelancer after you have put aside all what your former employer used to pay on your behalf for your work: pension, tax and compulsory contributions, 4-6 weeks paid without working (illness, holiday)...

Some figures in France from 2013 (http://www.dynamique-mag.com/article/que-coute-un-salarie.2282 ):
what you take home before income tax x 1.82 = what your employer pays for you in total.
So you have to earn nearly twice as much as a freelancer to keep your living standard when on a payroll.

On the other hand, if you're a freelancer working mostly from home, you may save on clothes, commuting expenses (if not handled by your employer) and having to cope with people and decisions you don't necessarily like.

Philippe

[Edited at 2018-10-17 11:46 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
OT Oct 17, 2018

Philippe Etienne wrote:
Some figures in France from 2013 (http://www.dynamique-mag.com/article/que-coute-un-salarie.2282 ):
what you take home before income tax x 1.82 = what your employer pays for you in total.
So you have to earn nearly twice as much as a freelancer to keep your living standard when on a payroll.

That doesn't add up.

Yes, it costs an employer more to employ someone than they get in salary (though it doesn't have to be that much more).

But from the translator's perspective, you just compare your in-house salary and your self-employed profit.

My earnings the first year I went freelance were double what I previously got in-house. And most of that was from working for my former employer, lol.

Kay Denney

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Venezuela - vs - US Oct 17, 2018

Some large agencies have offices in other countries that are little more than a letterbox-type means of contact for translators based in that country. As you are interested in an in-house position in Venezuela, you will need to find out from individuals who are working for US-based translation agencies in Venezuela.

I don't want to disappoint you, but you cannot be certain that working for a US company means that you can expect a US level of salary. Indeed, one of the main reasons
... See more
Some large agencies have offices in other countries that are little more than a letterbox-type means of contact for translators based in that country. As you are interested in an in-house position in Venezuela, you will need to find out from individuals who are working for US-based translation agencies in Venezuela.

I don't want to disappoint you, but you cannot be certain that working for a US company means that you can expect a US level of salary. Indeed, one of the main reasons big companies of any type have branches or agencies in other countries is so they can obtain the skills they need at a lower price, if salaries are generally lower in those other countries. Translation agencies are no different. Bear in mind that your reference salary is likely to be related to norms and legislation (if a minimum wage exists, for example) in Venezuela and not to norms and legislation in the US.
One exception to this may be where the skills are extremely rare in a particular country and the company knows that it will need to pay high wages. You should know how rare your skills are in Venezuela and how good you are at what you do. Whatever the reference salary, if you are good, experienced and can prove it, then you are likely to command a higher salary.

[Edited at 2018-10-17 14:08 GMT]
Collapse

Inga Petkelyte
Kevin Fulton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Average salary in Venezuela Oct 17, 2018

The average salary in Venezuela or 30 dollars per month, so I wouldn't expect a company based in Venezuela to pay you US or European salaries. Will you be based in Venezuela as well?

If this job requires to move there I would recommend you forget the whole deal. Too dangerous, problems with buying food, medicine, etc.

It is one the nicest countries in the world but due to the current political and economic situation you'd better avoid it.

Luximar Arenas Petty
Jorge Payan

Maria Conrrero (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all ! Oct 17, 2018

I´ve read each of your comments and all of them were really helpful.
Thank you very much !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »