Thread poster: Emmanuel Díaz
Emmanuel Díaz
Emmanuel Díaz
Mexico
Local time: 12:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 20, 2020

Hi everyone. I was recently offered a freelance language lead position and the agency pays this kind of job per hour.

I understand that being a language lead involves a lot of responsibilities as basically I would have to have a perfect understanding of the client's needs and expectations in the translations as much as if I actually were the client so that I can communicate these to all the linguists involved in the translation of a project. I would create and modify glossaries, st
... See more
Hi everyone. I was recently offered a freelance language lead position and the agency pays this kind of job per hour.

I understand that being a language lead involves a lot of responsibilities as basically I would have to have a perfect understanding of the client's needs and expectations in the translations as much as if I actually were the client so that I can communicate these to all the linguists involved in the translation of a project. I would create and modify glossaries, style guides and reference materials, have direct communication with clients, PMs and linguists, offer language solutions, etc.

My question is, working from English into Spanish in this role with an American agency, what would a reasonable hourly rate be? If you could please give me an actual number range, it would be great.

I have never applied for a position like this so I am now basing my idea on my proofreading and QM hourly rates but I know this position involves more responsibilities. Searching on other sites, I have only found large explanations of all the things I should consider before accepting a rate but no one gives actual numbers, which is what really would help a lot.

Thanks a lot in advanced!
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:05
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
ProZ Community Rates Feb 21, 2020

If you check Community Rates, it gives you a minimum of $25.70/hr and a standard of $34.08/hr. These rates correspond to translation. If you assume a managerial position, you would have to multiply these by a reasonable factor. This factor would reflect the difference between a translator and his/her manager's salary. I am not particulary knowledgeable about such a factor but what comes to my mind is numbers like 1.3 or 1.4 or 1.5 etc. I hope this helps.

Emmanuel Díaz

Emmanuel Díaz
Emmanuel Díaz
Mexico
Local time: 12:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 21, 2020

Thank you. That factor does help indeed.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Emmanuel Feb 22, 2020

I would need to know some other factors before risking an hourly rate, namely how many hours are you expected to work per week or per month? Is there a minimum and maximum of hours? What are exactly the parameters of the commitment? Will you be able to continue to work for other clients? How and in what currency will you be paid? Is the exchange rate favorable to you? If a dispute arises, how will it be resolved? Is there a termination clause? I could go on and on…

Good luck!
... See more
I would need to know some other factors before risking an hourly rate, namely how many hours are you expected to work per week or per month? Is there a minimum and maximum of hours? What are exactly the parameters of the commitment? Will you be able to continue to work for other clients? How and in what currency will you be paid? Is the exchange rate favorable to you? If a dispute arises, how will it be resolved? Is there a termination clause? I could go on and on…

Good luck!

Teresa

[Edited at 2020-02-22 11:05 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language lead hourly rate

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »