Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Likely "prepayment" scam (source material was published several years ago)
Thread poster: jm2470
jm2470
jm2470  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2018

I received an email from an Ivan Patrick using the email address [email protected]. He's looking for someone to translate a Science. I researched the document and it's a Science document published in 2015. Just wanted to post so that everyone can be alert and avoid the scam. I've included "Mr. Patrick's" original email.

Hi, i got your mail from a colleague of yours. i want to translate a document, the document is mea
... See more
I received an email from an Ivan Patrick using the email address [email protected]. He's looking for someone to translate a Science. I researched the document and it's a Science document published in 2015. Just wanted to post so that everyone can be alert and avoid the scam. I've included "Mr. Patrick's" original email.

Hi, i got your mail from a colleague of yours. i want to translate a document, the document is meant for Spanish audience not Latin America. I already attached/upload the document in this link - https://www.sendspace.com/file/y4ox1s so you can view for your perusal and send me your proforma invoice/charges. The deadline is 6 weeks and I'm willing to pay prepayment of 50% upfront because we've never worked together and I want to use the document for a project seminar and its not a copyright. In addition, the reference shouldn't be translated because I just need the body of the text. FYI, My name is Ivan Patrick, 11 Beverly Ave, Floral Park, NY 11001 to draft the invoice. And I'm willing to payment for your service through a certified check or bank direct deposit but not via paypal because I've got some absurd experience about it in the past through Ebay so I had to shut it down, I hope you understand. I'm ready to pay 50% upfront and make the full payment at the mid of the job. Please get back to me. Thanks once again.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2018-09-21 09:51 GMT]
Collapse

Touchstone_Tran

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:08
French to English
+ ...
Rather obvious Sep 19, 2018

I'm surprised you bothered to research the document. I suggest further automatic reaction training for your "delete key" finger!

jm2470
Michele Fauble
Vadim Kadyrov
José Henrique Lamensdorf

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apparently, Sep 19, 2018

upfront payments are on the rise…

https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/328828-should_i_accept_this_job.html

Sayuri Norrish
Sayuri Norrish
United States
Local time: 06:08
English to Japanese
+ ...
I got one, too! Sep 20, 2018

Below is what I received. Very annoying.
* Update: After I replied "I'll pass this" I got the 3rd email with the same content of 2nd one.

1 st email from Matthew Larsen [email protected] via proz.com:

Good day, I would like to know if you will be able to translate a
document (The Conservation Social Sciences) which is very straight
forward, I am to use for a presentation in 6 weeks. En
... See more
Below is what I received. Very annoying.
* Update: After I replied "I'll pass this" I got the 3rd email with the same content of 2nd one.

1 st email from Matthew Larsen [email protected] via proz.com:

Good day, I would like to know if you will be able to translate a
document (The Conservation Social Sciences) which is very straight
forward, I am to use for a presentation in 6 weeks. English to
Japanese. It's about 90 pages (33,890 words to be exact). Let me
know maybe I can fit in your busy schedule. Thanks

2nd email with attachment from the same email address with a different name, Charles Wilson, but still stating he is Matthew in the mail body:

Thanks for getting back to me. I already attached the document so you can view for your perusal and send me your proforma invoice/charges. I'm willing to pay prepayment of 50% upfront because we've never worked together and I want to use the document for a project seminar and its not a copyright. In addition, the reference shouldn't be translated because I just need the body of the text. FYI, My name is Matthew C Larsen, 11 Beverly Ave, Floral Park, NY 11001 to draft the invoice. And I'm willing to payment for your service through a certified check or bank direct deposit but not via paypal because I've got some absurd experience about it in the past through Ebay so I had to shut it down, I hope you understand. I'm ready to pay 50% upfront and make the full payment at the mid of the job. Please get back to me. Thanks once again.

Matthew

[Edited at 2018-09-20 02:08 GMT]
Collapse

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I got also this message three days ago. Sep 20, 2018

Hi,

I have just saw your Proz.com post now. This person sent me the same email message and he was also writing to me from that same email address. Is this a scam from Africa or another country?

Let me know. I appreciate it.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia.

Touchstone_Tran
Touchstone_Tran
United States
English to French
+ ...
I also received this same email... Sep 20, 2018

I received this same email except he claimed his name was Aaron Livingstone. Definite scam.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Please don't forget to post IP numbers Sep 20, 2018

Hi all,

Please don't forget to post here not only email addresses but also the IP numbers: this would help to block scammers.

Thank you!

Sandy T
Sandy T  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ivan Patrick - 11 Beverly Ave, Floral Park, NY 11001 SCAM Sep 20, 2018

Dear all,
I have to admit I did not know about this page on ProZ.com. I am not a subscriber of the site anymore. But I do get emails.
I also got this one from Mr. Ivan Patrick which to me, screamed scam. I did not want to be rude at first. You never know.
I did request some background information and an address etc.. and the below is what I got. He also included an attachment since I requested a sample of the text but I did not dare open it.

Thanks f
... See more
Dear all,
I have to admit I did not know about this page on ProZ.com. I am not a subscriber of the site anymore. But I do get emails.
I also got this one from Mr. Ivan Patrick which to me, screamed scam. I did not want to be rude at first. You never know.
I did request some background information and an address etc.. and the below is what I got. He also included an attachment since I requested a sample of the text but I did not dare open it.

Thanks for getting back to me. The document is meant for Spanish audience not Latin America. I already attached/upload the document so you can view for your perusal and send me your proforma invoice/charges. The deadline is 6 weeks and I'm willing to pay prepayment of 50% upfront because we've never worked together and I want to use the document for a project seminar and its not a copyright. In addition, the reference shouldn't be translated because I just need the body of the text. FYI, My name is Ivan Patrick, 11 Beverly Ave, Floral Park, NY 11001 to draft the invoice. And I'm willing to payment for your service through a certified check or bank direct deposit but not via paypal because I've got some absurd experience about it in the past through Ebay so I had to shut it down, I hope you understand. I'm ready to pay 50% upfront and make the full payment at the mid of the job. Please get back to me. with the following so i can prepare your check. Account name or Beneficiary, Amount to be paid and amount to be transfer.
Thanks once again.

Ivan

Thank you all for posting this. It helped me confirm my suspicions.
Kind regards,
Sandy
Collapse

Sandy T
Sandy T  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ivan Patrick - Thanks for getting back to me. The document is meant for Spanish audience not Latin A Sep 20, 2018

I'd like to add that he just created a profile on this site but of course it's empty.

Thank you.

Sandy

Claudia Reynaud
Claudia Reynaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I received the initial request via Proz.com Sep 20, 2018

I received the exact same email from [email protected], after I replied to a request I received from proz.com. Is there any way to report or block this person from sending out requests via the website?

Thanks to all for posting this scam alert.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Blocking scammers is difficult Sep 20, 2018

Claudia Reynaud wrote:
I received the exact same email from [email protected], after I replied to a request I received from proz.com. Is there any way to report or block this person from sending out requests via the website?

Have you submitted a support request? Did you provide at least the IP address?
It is difficult to completely block the scammer even with these minimal data, but it is absolutely impossible to do this without any additional information.

Please provide all available information as soon as you get such messages - either here or by submitting a support ticket to the site staff.

Yolanda Broad
Taner Tanrıöver

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
Bank direct deposit? Sep 21, 2018

jm2470 wrote:
And I'm willing to payment for your service through a certified check or bank direct deposit but not via paypal because I've got some absurd experience about it in the past through Ebay so I had to shut it down, I hope you understand.

If they do pay you by "bank direct deposit", how will the scam work? As I understand it, when the payment is deposited to you bank account, it is your money and the scammer cannot take it back.

Abdul Kader Khattab

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
Don't try Sep 21, 2018

jyuan_us wrote:

jm2470 wrote:
And I'm willing to payment for your service through a certified check or bank direct deposit but not via paypal because I've got some absurd experience about it in the past through Ebay so I had to shut it down, I hope you understand.

If they do pay you by "bank direct deposit", how will the scam work? As I understand it, when the payment is deposited to you bank account, it is your money and the scammer cannot take it back.

You do not want to enter into a contract with a scammer who can legitimately claim that they have fulfilled their obligation in good faith.

Touchstone_Tran
Touchstone_Tran
United States
English to French
+ ...
Classic "Overpayment" Scam Sep 21, 2018

This sounds like the beginning of the classic "Overpayment" scam which works by getting you to "refund" a scammer who has sent you too much money for goods or services.

The scammer will contact you, make you an offer—often quite generous—then make payment through a check. The payment will be for an amount that is greater than the agreed price. The scammer will contact you with an apology for the overpayment, offering a fake excuse. The scammer will then ask you to refund the ex
... See more
This sounds like the beginning of the classic "Overpayment" scam which works by getting you to "refund" a scammer who has sent you too much money for goods or services.

The scammer will contact you, make you an offer—often quite generous—then make payment through a check. The payment will be for an amount that is greater than the agreed price. The scammer will contact you with an apology for the overpayment, offering a fake excuse. The scammer will then ask you to refund the excess amount or they will ask you to forward the refund amount to a third party. They will ask for this to be done through an online banking transfer or a wire transfer such as Western Union. You will then discover that their check has bounced and you are out the money you have refunded them.
Collapse

Nagehan Carroll
Solange Carmo
B D Finch

D. Wisniewski
D. Wisniewski
United States
Polish to English
+ ...
got one too Sep 21, 2018

I got one from Aaron L., from the same town, offspring ave...... certified check, PayPal... all same.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Likely "prepayment" scam (source material was published several years ago)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »