Sebastian Pasiminio Hernandez
Sebastian Pasiminio Hernandez  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2019

Hello, everyone.

I've been visiting the forums for a while, but I still feel sort of new around here because I only started using ProZ in depth this year.

After receiving an email with a translation proposal from a non-registered user and exchanging some emails, I decided to check with a colleague (also a member here) and search the forums. I read several posts about sca
... See more
Hello, everyone.

I've been visiting the forums for a while, but I still feel sort of new around here because I only started using ProZ in depth this year.

After receiving an email with a translation proposal from a non-registered user and exchanging some emails, I decided to check with a colleague (also a member here) and search the forums. I read several posts about scams as well as visited the Translator scam alert center. I'm glad I did.

Some details bothered me from the beginning and some research told me I wasn't just being paranoid. By now, they might seem obvious for some of you, but I still wanted to share this to help newbies like me (or whoever is not aware how this people operate.)

Here's the exchange...

• 1. "A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Shann
    [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
    Author's IP address: 176.113.74.236

-----------

Hello, I have a presentation in 4 weeks time can you help in
    translating documents am using for it. Thanks"

• 2. "Hello, Shann.

If you could please send me the documents, I could take a look and give you an estimate of the time and cost.

Best,

Sebastian"

• 3. "Thanks for getting back to me.
    I will like you to translate some document from English to Spanish. I already attached the document so you can view and send me your proforma invoice/charges."

• 4. "Here is the document attached"

• 5. "Hi, Shann.

Please find attached the invoice.

I would also like to discuss some specifications about the project. Would you care to share me some contact information?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Sebastian"

• 6. "Thanks for getting back I will make a payment through bank transfer or send a cashier check, please provide information to any of them.
    Bank Name
    Account number
    Bank Address
    Name on account

Or

Full names and Address to receive a Cashier Check"

I haven't replied since then. Didn't give any bank information. The refusal to provide any information besides their email address ([email protected]) was the last sign for me.

From what I've read, what happens next, if you give them those details, is that they transfer you an incorrect amount and ask you to return the extra sum. If you do, their transfer gets reversed some days later and you end up losing money and being contacted by your bank and the police.

I'd rather have the opposite happen to the scammer, so I was thinking about contacting my bank and the police, but I don't know if it really makes sense. Any advice on how to proceed?
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:31
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Move on Oct 29, 2019

Unfortunately, these scams are very common. Police are unlikely to do anything, but if it makes you feel better, you can always report it.
There are several posts here about scams like this one; see for instance all the advice given in this pos
... See more
Unfortunately, these scams are very common. Police are unlikely to do anything, but if it makes you feel better, you can always report it.
There are several posts here about scams like this one; see for instance all the advice given in this post:
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/336674-concern_about_a_possible_scam_ive_gotten_involved_in-page2.html

Glad you discovered this one in time!
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds good Oct 29, 2019

After reading the post you shared and some other ones (and even checking with my bank), I agree that the best is to move on after having warned others. There isn't much the banks or the police can do with these scammers besides giving people advice on how to prevent fraud.

Lucky me for finding this community sharing their experiences and helping each other!

Thank you.

Lara Coons
Lara Coons
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Scam Shaan Oct 31, 2019

I am glad that I checked this forum I got the same email . And this scammer logged in through translated cafe and ip showing Canada

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Phew... Nov 1, 2019

Glad to hear that. It also showed an IP in Montreal for me.

Brielle Bautista
Brielle Bautista  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:31
Spanish to English
SHAAN Spaam Feb 22, 2020

I got this email too!! Exact same wording.
Some of the documents he sent me were already translated and I was like what did you want me to do with this?? I asked regular screening questions like what company are you with, what are you using it for, what is your deadline (even though it said 4 weeks, I wanted a specific day)? He ignored all my questions and was just like where do we send the cheque..... So I googled his name and your post appeared. Thanks for verifying that it was a scam. S
... See more
I got this email too!! Exact same wording.
Some of the documents he sent me were already translated and I was like what did you want me to do with this?? I asked regular screening questions like what company are you with, what are you using it for, what is your deadline (even though it said 4 weeks, I wanted a specific day)? He ignored all my questions and was just like where do we send the cheque..... So I googled his name and your post appeared. Thanks for verifying that it was a scam. So glad I didn't put any time into this "project"
Collapse

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thankfully! Feb 22, 2020

These forums and some research are truly helpful to save us some future headaches. It's good to see that you found this post before anything happened. Glad to help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shaan Bhatt and more of the same

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »