Trados Studio compatible with Dragon software?
Thread poster: Rosalind Howarth
Rosalind Howarth
Rosalind Howarth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2018

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if Dragon Naturally Speaking software is compatible with Trados Studio 2017, and if so which version do I need to buy?

Thanks!

[Edited at 2018-10-10 15:28 GMT]

Roy Chacón
Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 04:18
English to Spanish
It is Oct 10, 2018

Hi Rosalid,

I use Naturally Speaking 13 Premium with Trados 2019 and works fine.

With 2017 it also works ok, I had to disable autosuggest to dictate, but this issue is mostly solved in 2019.

Roy

Rosalind Howarth
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 10, 2018

Thanks Roy! I was thinking of upgrading Trados soon anyway, so perhaps I'll do that first.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Improvements Oct 10, 2018

Roy Chacón wrote:
With 2017 it also works ok, I had to disable autosuggest to dictate, but this issue is mostly solved in 2019.

Interesting - so in your experience 2019 works better with Dragon?
If others have found the same, that alone would be worth the price of the upgrade.

Dan

Roy Chacón
Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 04:18
English to Spanish
2019 Oct 10, 2018

Dan,

I would upgrade not only because of Dragon, also because of the performance upgrade (plus many other things). 2019 is far more faster than 2017 (I also bought 8.5 and it seems like WordStar on a IBM PCjr in comparison).

Roy

Martha Fillastre
Martha Fillastre  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:18
French to English
Dragon doesn't alway work for me Oct 11, 2018

Since I changed from DNS 12 to 14 and then to Dragon Professional Individual, the Correction feature does not work in Studio (2017). This is such a problem that I've now stopped using DPI with Studio.

Rosalind Howarth
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dragon Professional Individual - worth the extra money? Oct 11, 2018

Ah yes I saw that that Naturally Speaking was no longer available on the Dragon website, only Dragon Professional Individual which is nearly three times the price! It looks like Naturally Speaking is still available from other places though so I'll probably go with that.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:18
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Upcoming webinar on Trados + Dragon Oct 15, 2018

For anyone who may be interested, I will be giving a webinar this Wednesday for SDL on this very topic. You can sign up for the free webinar here:

https://www.sdl.com/event/language/webinars/10-2018/translating-without-typing.html

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Interesting, will try to attend! Oct 16, 2018

Nora Diaz wrote:

For anyone who may be interested, I will be giving a webinar this Wednesday for SDL on this very topic. You can sign up for the free webinar here:

https://www.sdl.com/event/language/webinars/10-2018/translating-without-typing.html

Btw, have you tried this yet: https://voicenotebook.com/ ???

I have been getting very good results with it. I have a slightly underpowered laptop I like to use for work, and so have been experimenting with using VoiceNotebook instead of Dragon Professional Individual 15 for simple dictation. That is, no commands, no KnowBrainer/Vocola, just basic flowing text, which is what I mainly use DPI 15 for anyway. Anyway, I have been surprised at how good this is (almost the same quality as DP1 15 on basic text/sentences), and it even has sth called “OS integration” which allows you to dictate into any text field in windows, using Google's actually very good dictation engine!

Michael

Rosalind Howarth
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This sounds really interesting Oct 16, 2018

Nora Diaz wrote:

Hi Nora,

This sounds really interesting, but unfortunately I can't make 3pm. Is the webinar recorded and available to listen again at a later date?

Thanks,

Rosalind

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Recording Oct 16, 2018

Rosalind Howarth wrote:

Is the webinar recorded and available to listen again at a later date?

It is. You just need to sign up for it before the actual webinar and you'll be notified when the recording is available.

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sounds interesting! Oct 16, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

Btw, have you tried this yet: https://voicenotebook.com/ ???

I have been getting very good results with it. I have a slightly underpowered laptop I like to use for work, and so have been experimenting with using VoiceNotebook instead of Dragon Professional Individual 15 for simple dictation. That is, no commands, no KnowBrainer/Vocola, just basic flowing text, which is what I mainly use DPI 15 for anyway. Anyway, I have been surprised at how good this is (almost the same quality as DP1 15 on basic text/sentences), and it even has sth called “OS integration” which allows you to dictate into any text field in windows, using Google's actually very good dictation engine!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely have a look. I don't explore other options that much as I'm really happy with Dragon+KB but it's always a good idea to see what else is out there!

Best,

Nora

Rosalind Howarth
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 17, 2018

Nora Diaz wrote:

Rosalind Howarth wrote:

Is the webinar recorded and available to listen again at a later date?

It is. You just need to sign up for it before the actual webinar and you'll be notified when the recording is available.

Thanks Nora, I have signed up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio compatible with Dragon software?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »