Thread poster: Brian O Callaghan
Brian O Callaghan
Brian O Callaghan
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:13
French to English
May 18, 2019

Hi there,
I have a file with tags between every word in long paragraphs, I think it's an OCR'ed document which might explain all the tags. I don't mind having all the tags at the end of each translation unit, so I'm looking for a way to isolate the tags only or the text only, and to remove the text. I hope this makes sense, I'd really appreciate if anyone had any ideas on this. I've come across this issue many times of course, but never as bad as this!
Thanks,
Brian

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:13
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
This has been discussed so many times in the past May 19, 2019

Please check, for example
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/06/15/tag-soup-in-trados-studio/
http://www.proz.com/topic/291079

Yo
... See more
Please check, for example
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/06/15/tag-soup-in-trados-studio/
http://www.proz.com/topic/291079

You may also find a number of other threads at http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y - just enter, for example, "tag soup" in the search field and don't forget to tick the 'exact match' option.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
FWIW May 19, 2019

Yes. This is a blog post by Emma Goldsmith. She essentially says "go back to Word and fix it there". Her solution works if (a) you have access to the original Word file and (b) you are allowed to create a new SDLXLIFF file. Do you have access to the original Word file and are you allowed to create a new SDLXLIFF file, Brian?

You may also find a number of other threads here -- just enter, for example, "tag soup" in the search field and don't forget to tick the 'exact match' option.

I find that searches for "tag soup" only gets me solutions about how to fix the problem in Word. I could not find any solution that is similar to Brian's suggestion, i.e. an easy way to shift all tags to the end of the segment. This may also have to include a method to strip the active segment's target text from all tags. Do you know of such a method, Natalie?

I have encountered segments in which I wanted to tag the target text in a segment from scratch, but could not find an easy way to strip all tags in one go, so I then I had to select the tags manually, one by one, to delete them. Does anyone know of a way to delete all tags from the active segments target text, and a way to insert all tags at once, at the cursor position?

Gareth Callagy

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
In general... May 19, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:
I find that searches for "tag soup" only gets me solutions about how to fix the problem in Word. I could not find any solution that is similar to Brian's suggestion, i.e. an easy way to shift all tags to the end of the segment. This may also have to include a method to strip the active segment's target text from all tags. Do you know of such a method, Natalie?

...working with tons of redundant tags makes no sense, irrespectively of the source file format.

However, there is a method (suggested here in the forum by somebody a few years ago) that allows you to do what you want, however, in a different way: not by moving the tags, but by removing all text and leaving just the tags. This allows you to start typing your translation where you want, before the tags, between or after them.

1) Open the sdlxliff in the editor
2) Copy all source to target, and place the cursor in the first position of the first segment
3) Go to Find&Replace
In the 'Find what' field type '.' (just a fullstop, without quotation marks)
In the 'Replace with' field do not type anything, just leave it empty
In the 'Find options' tick the 'Use' option, and choose 'Regular expressions'
Click 'Find next' and then 'Replace all'
The target column will be stripped of all text and only the tags will be left.

Brian O Callaghan
Brian O Callaghan
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:13
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yep, find and replace May 20, 2019

Samuel and Natalie, thanks for your replies.

After a night thinking about it, this is exactly what I did, although I had to go through every letter, number and a good few special characters, I wasn't aware of the shortcut suggested in the previous forum post. This is a great way to handle enormous numbers of tags, for sure, just avoid doing it on a laptop as it runs quite slow in large documents!

All the best,
Brian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing text between tags

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »