Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Care for preview (and fairness)? Don't buy SDL.
Thread poster: Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 23:01
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So... Sep 12, 2019

So nobody gives a toss after all? So painfully typical - not caring about any standards of corporate decency whatsoever as long as the offender's offence is not an issue to me personally. Instead blame the whistleblower for being too demanding.

Don't be surprised if software doesn't get any better any time soon though (or if it gets only worse and less reliable with time, which it probably will).

Civilizations end with the cessation of expectations, lads!

[Edited
... See more
So nobody gives a toss after all? So painfully typical - not caring about any standards of corporate decency whatsoever as long as the offender's offence is not an issue to me personally. Instead blame the whistleblower for being too demanding.

Don't be surprised if software doesn't get any better any time soon though (or if it gets only worse and less reliable with time, which it probably will).

[Edited at 2019-09-12 06:30 GMT]
Collapse

SpecializedTR

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:01
French to English
+ ...
" as long as the offender's offence is not an issue to me personally. Sep 12, 2019

Ekhangel wrote:

So nobody gives a toss after all? So painfully typical - not caring about any standards of corporate decency whatsoever as long as the offender's offence is not an issue to me personally.

[Edited at 2019-09-12 06:30 GMT]

What I meant to say [and must have given up, without realizing that it was posted anyway] was that civilizations don't end when we cease to have expectations, but rather when we cease to find solutions.
In addition, if you are the only one to have a problem it probably means that either nobody else has it, in which case you should find out why, or that nobody thinks this is a critical issue.

Civilizations end when we arrogantly expect others to solve our problems. Civilizations advance when we use our minds, available tools and help from others to solve problems.

Incidentally, some of us are not "lads", but "gals".

Sandra

[Edited at 2019-09-13 09:58 GMT]

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tired of this reply title nonsense Sep 12, 2019

Ok Sandra, keep watching that thief robbing your neighbour's house.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:01
English to Russian
Curious Sep 12, 2019

Over a decade of using Studio as of the day it was born in 2009, I never felt like Studio was designed for viewing. I use Studio for translating. By the way, Studio is also not as good in making coffee as my coffee machine. For me, coffee is an integral part of my work process. Does it mean that SDL is robbing me by seizing my lawful right to want and have coffee?
I criticize Studio from time to time for other bugs (like not recognizing terms that you've just added, etc.). But making such
... See more
Over a decade of using Studio as of the day it was born in 2009, I never felt like Studio was designed for viewing. I use Studio for translating. By the way, Studio is also not as good in making coffee as my coffee machine. For me, coffee is an integral part of my work process. Does it mean that SDL is robbing me by seizing my lawful right to want and have coffee?
I criticize Studio from time to time for other bugs (like not recognizing terms that you've just added, etc.). But making such a drama out of the preview feature?.. Come on... Who cares of it at all? I always remove it from the Studio interface. And if this feature never existed in Studio, hardly I would ever want it to be there.

Maybe this is why "nobody gives a toss"?

[Edited at 2019-09-12 20:03 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Lorenzo Bermejo

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stephan Sep 13, 2019

Stephan,

Not really a matter of the malfunctioning preview at all. It's a matter of dishonesty and unfairness on the part of SDL! I thought I made it clear in the very OP.

Yes, preview is a godsend and major time saver in technical translations where you keep wondering whether that "pin", "bolt", "track", "tape", "item" or whatever is really what you think it is, and having the possibility of quickly viewing the exact place in the source document with all the reference
... See more
Stephan,

Not really a matter of the malfunctioning preview at all. It's a matter of dishonesty and unfairness on the part of SDL! I thought I made it clear in the very OP.

Yes, preview is a godsend and major time saver in technical translations where you keep wondering whether that "pin", "bolt", "track", "tape", "item" or whatever is really what you think it is, and having the possibility of quickly viewing the exact place in the source document with all the reference pictures etc. is very convenient.

If all you ever translate is NDAs, T&Cs and such, then indeed there is not use for the preview feature.
Collapse

SpecializedTR

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PPTX Oct 14, 2019

Or that Power Point presentation I'm doing now… God, how great it would be to have a functional preview of that like in good ol' Studio 2011. If you know the first thing about the translator's job, you know that it's impossible to translate a typical corporate presentation accurately without the visual context. At least not into Polish with its complex grammatical and stylistic structures.

And if you know the second thing, you know that having to peek into the source .pptx all th
... See more
Or that Power Point presentation I'm doing now… God, how great it would be to have a functional preview of that like in good ol' Studio 2011. If you know the first thing about the translator's job, you know that it's impossible to translate a typical corporate presentation accurately without the visual context. At least not into Polish with its complex grammatical and stylistic structures.

And if you know the second thing, you know that having to peek into the source .pptx all the time is a major efficiency buster.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Care for preview (and fairness)? Don't buy SDL.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »