Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:22
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 1, 2019

Good afternoon,

I am trying to save 8 sdlxliff files (source content) as Excel (or Word) and get a message saying "Failed to save target content". The fact is I just want to save the source content. (I am using Studio 2011 and also have Studio 2015 on my laptop)

Have already tried "Export for external review", and this won't work either, and I get a message saying it cannot open the file "as it contains languages that are not configured for this installation".
... See more
Good afternoon,

I am trying to save 8 sdlxliff files (source content) as Excel (or Word) and get a message saying "Failed to save target content". The fact is I just want to save the source content. (I am using Studio 2011 and also have Studio 2015 on my laptop)

Have already tried "Export for external review", and this won't work either, and I get a message saying it cannot open the file "as it contains languages that are not configured for this installation".

Basically, I just want to extract all the source text from 8 files.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try another CAT tool Nov 1, 2019

Ana Vozone wrote:
Basically, I just want to extract all the source text from 8 files.

Option 1. Well, you can open these files in OmegaT or Wordfast Pro (and for your purposes, it would be free).

Option 2. Open the SDLXLIFF files in a plaintext editor (e.g. Notepad++), search for <header>, and then look just before it for source-language="xx-xx" target-language="yy-yy" (where xx and yy are language codes), and change the language code to something that your Trados is installed for, and then open the files in Trados.

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:22
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Saving the source Nov 1, 2019

Hi Ana,
On Studio 2019 there is a menu command "Save source As" in the Advance Save option of the File menu. If you don't have it you can download the "Glossary Convertor" from SDL store (its free) and use it to convert your SDLxliff to excel. Just take some minutes to learn how to use it. I did use it many times and it work fine.

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Samuel and Amnon Nov 1, 2019

I tried your suggestions but unfortunately am not able to implement or use them.
In any case, many, many thanks for your suggestions!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
If your only purpose is extracting all the source text from files, Nov 1, 2019

just select all segments with your mouse as you normally do with MS Word, copy them and paste to an MS word file.

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Try this... Nov 1, 2019

Copy all source to target without confirming (so that you do not commit text to the TM), save (Ctrl+C) and then save as target. You can then clear the target zone and fill it up from your TM, if you have translated something meanwhile.

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ekaterina and Stepan Nov 2, 2019

Thank you again for your suggestions!

Before I posted the original message I had already copied the source text onto a Word file, but all the formatting went away (bold, etc.). The same thing happens now when I copy all source text to target (Alt+Shift+Insert) as suggested by Ekaterina.

So, apparently there is no way I can copy whilst keeping the original formatting.

Again, many thanks again for taking time to help me!

Have a lovely weekend!... See more
Thank you again for your suggestions!

Before I posted the original message I had already copied the source text onto a Word file, but all the formatting went away (bold, etc.). The same thing happens now when I copy all source text to target (Alt+Shift+Insert) as suggested by Ekaterina.

So, apparently there is no way I can copy whilst keeping the original formatting.

Again, many thanks again for taking time to help me!

Have a lovely weekend!

[Edited at 2019-11-02 00:43 GMT]
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
What kind of file have you received? Nov 2, 2019

Did you receive and xliff file, or a package? Because, as far as I know, if it is a package, you may not be able to recreate the source.

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Ekaterina Nov 2, 2019

Hi!

I received sdlxliff files and simply wanted to convert them to Excel or Word while keeping all the formatting. It should be simple, but apparently not

Many thanks in any case!

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
I am sorry... Nov 2, 2019

In this case, I don't understand. Normally, be it source or target, formatting should be there. There might be something wrong with the xliff. Have you tried to post your question to the SDL Community forum?

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Ekaterina Nov 2, 2019

Thanks, I will find an alternative solution with the client.
Many thanks in any case!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Maybe this somehow relates to an older version of Studio Nov 2, 2019

Update: did not notice your latest message. Share your solution if not top secret =)

----------------
You mentioned that you "just want to extract the source text", so I misunderstood you. I am sorry.
As far as I remember, with 2011 version you can only save as source from sdlxliff when you have the source file metadata embedded in there (but it was too long ago, 8 years now, I may be wrong). Packages normally do not include the source file. Maybe this is your problem. O
... See more
Update: did not notice your latest message. Share your solution if not top secret =)

----------------
You mentioned that you "just want to extract the source text", so I misunderstood you. I am sorry.
As far as I remember, with 2011 version you can only save as source from sdlxliff when you have the source file metadata embedded in there (but it was too long ago, 8 years now, I may be wrong). Packages normally do not include the source file. Maybe this is your problem. One more, and the last, thing I can suggest is going to File > Options > File Types > SDLXLIFF > General > set to maximum (100MB in 2019, not sure about 2011) and try saving target as copied from source again.
----------------

[Edited at 2019-11-02 12:09 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ana Nov 2, 2019

Ana Vozone wrote:
Before I posted the original message I had already copied the source text onto a Word file, but all the formatting went away (bold, etc.). The same thing happens now when I copy all source text to target (Alt+Shift+Insert) as suggested by Ekaterina. So, apparently there is no way I can copy whilst keeping the original formatting.

Sorry, we did not know that you wanted to keep all formatting.

There is no way to save the source text of an SDLXLIFF file in such a way that all the formatting of the source text shows up as formatting (instead of tags) in the exported Word file... unless... unless the SDLXLIFF files themselves contain the source files within themselves.

Sometimes, an SDLXLIFF file contains the original file embedded in itself. If you open the SDLXLIFF file in a plain text editor (e.g. Notepad++) and it contains a section called <internal-file form="base64"> followed by a long list of random-looking characters, then it means that the original source file is available inside the SDLXLIFF file. Unfortunately it's not simple to convert that into the original file.

1. Open a copy of your SDLXLIFF file in a plain text editor, e.g. Notepad++.
2. Delete all content except for the code between <internal-file form="base64"> and </internal-file>.
3. Save it as e.g. myfile.txt, and make sure the encoding is UTF8 without byte order mark.
4. Open a commandline prompt in that window, and use the command:
certutil.exe -decode myfile.txt myfile.zip
5. This will create a ZIP file with the source file inside it.

Image credit: Marcus Mangelsdorf, stackoverflow.com/questions/8432584/how-to-make-notepad-to-save-text-in-utf-8-without-bom

[Edited at 2019-11-02 12:15 GMT]

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Nov 3, 2019

Many thanks for the detailed suggestion.

However, in spite of the step-by-step explanation, it is too technical for me, I am afraid. But I am sure this will also be helpful to colleagues experiencing a similar problem in the future.

Again, many, many thanks for all the help!

Muhammad Razin Ong Abdullah
Muhammad Razin Ong Abdullah  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 21:22
Member (2006)
English to Malay
+ ...
RWS Appstore free converter plugin for Studio 2019 and 2021 Dec 29, 2021

https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/w/customer-experience/3397/export-to-excel

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving sdlxliff source text as Excel or Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »