Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
Local time: 06:58
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
A matter of habit Jul 12, 2017

Hello, Claudio!

That's absolutely ok that you made such conclusions. I fully understand and support your decision. A lot of TO3000 users can't be wrong! While BaccS is young, and also has a lot of users, which also can't be wrong.

You worked with TO3000 a lot of time, and expect the same from the new program, while this program is different and can't work absolutely the same as another product. BaccS has tabbed interface, which allows to keep a lot of data opened. In y
... See more
Hello, Claudio!

That's absolutely ok that you made such conclusions. I fully understand and support your decision. A lot of TO3000 users can't be wrong! While BaccS is young, and also has a lot of users, which also can't be wrong.

You worked with TO3000 a lot of time, and expect the same from the new program, while this program is different and can't work absolutely the same as another product. BaccS has tabbed interface, which allows to keep a lot of data opened. In your case, you had to open Language directions tab after filling Languages, or click Refresh button in the Language directions list after updating the list of languages, because the needed data were changed externally (in another tab).
Collapse

Silvia Di Profio
Silvia Di Profio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:58
Member (2015)
English to Italian
Importing Proz.com data Jul 12, 2017

Hi Eugene,

Firstly, thank you for your efforts
Secondly, I have a short, crucial question (sorry if someone already posted it): may I import all my clients and invoicing data from my Proz.com account?
It would allow me to avoid starting over my last three years of accounting history on BaccS (plus personal data, invoice settings, reports and so on) and a cumbersome transition to the new tool.

Thank you

Silvia

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

Version 2 already has the following features implemented:
- Connection with your ProZ.com account.
- Ability to quickly post, edit and view WIWO entries (What I’m Working On now).
- Ability to link clients with Blue Board records to get general details about them, view and post feedback.
- Get list of recommended clients to leave feedback.
- A lot of small fixes.
Of course, these functions available not only to Plus package subscribers. Detailed explanation of new stuff can be found in this series of help articles

This partnership means a lot of new plans. Here is what to expect in nearest future:
- Set availability in Proz profile from within BaccS
- Take part in polls
- View client jobs/invoices/payments from within client editing form (user's request, I personally do not like it too much)
- Exceptional new planning tool
- Database backup to cloud (e.g. Google Drive)

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Not easy Jul 12, 2017

Silvia Di Profio wrote:

Hi Eugene,

Firstly, thank you for your efforts
Secondly, I have a short, crucial question (sorry if someone already posted it): may I import all my clients and invoicing data from my Proz.com account?
It would allow me to avoid starting over my last three years of accounting history on BaccS (plus personal data, invoice settings, reports and so on) and a cumbersome transition to the new tool.

Thank you

Silvia

Hello, Silvia,

Thank you for the question! First of all, have to say that unfortunately BaccS does not have access to your invoices issued through ProZ. It only can access availability, general personal information, WIWOs, and Blue Board records. Seem like ProZ.com does not have API to access invoices/clients.

So, it is possible to import this data, but only through exporting to Excel (csv) and then using Import from Excel inside BaccS. If there will be no problems with customers, Invoices importing may be difficult, because there will be no jobs to link with invoices. I will try to do that by myself on Friday and will let you know about the results in private message. If needed, I will correct the code to facilitate importing.

Thank you!

Silvia Di Profio
Italy
Member (2015)
English to Italian
Thank you! Jul 12, 2017

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

Hello, Silvia,

Thank you for the question! First of all, have to say that unfortunately BaccS does not have access to your invoices issued through ProZ. It only can access availability, general personal information, WIWOs, and Blue Board records. Seem like ProZ.com does not have API to access invoices/clients.

So, it is possible to import this data, but only through exporting to Excel (csv) and then using Import from Excel inside BaccS. If there will be no problems with customers, Invoices importing may be difficult, because there will be no jobs to link with invoices. I will try to do that by myself on Friday and will let you know about the results in private message. If needed, I will correct the code to facilitate importing.

Thank you!

Hi Eugene,

looking forward to the results of your experiment

Thank you very much,
Silvia

Juan Perello
Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 00:58
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
importing from TO3000 error Jul 15, 2017

Hello, Eugene,

I am trying to import my TO3000 v11 database to see if I can use your program instead of upgrading to TO3000 3D, but it keeps crushing after it has almost imported everything. When opening the file, there are no errors marked in red. The only possible problem I can think of is that some content is not well encoded, as it was originally written in Japanese (some other content in Japanese displays perfectly, as you can see below).

Captura

This is the error message just before crushing:

Captura2

what can I do?

I really want to give it a try because it seems quite cool and integrated with everything, but as for now, doesn't seem to work for me.
I also tried to email you from the program, and even tough I put my email settings, it says I haven't...

Kind regards, Juan Luis

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Unusual case Jul 15, 2017

Juan Perello wrote:

Hello, Eugene,

I am trying to import my TO3000 v11 database to see if I can use your program instead of upgrading to TO3000 3D, but it keeps crushing after it has almost imported everything. When opening the file, there are no errors marked in red. The only possible problem I can think of is that some content is not well encoded, as it was originally written in Japanese (some other content in Japanese displays perfectly, as you can see below).

what can I do?

Hello, Juan!

Thank you for writing the report here! Because I see registered crash, and see the same error description, but couldn't understand what happens until you wrote here. Now, when the reason is more or less clear, I can try to find out how to solve it. Will try to do it today.

Juan Perello wrote:
I also tried to email you from the program, and even tough I put my email settings, it says I haven't...

Sorry for this! In addition to e-mail server settings please specify your e-mail address on the main (first) tab in the Settings. I think this is the reason why the program tells you that e-mail preferences were not set.

To Silvia:
It looks like soon there will be an option to access your clients/invoices from BaccS through ProZ.com API. But we must wait when it will be implemented

Juan Perello
Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 00:58
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
wow, that was fast Jul 15, 2017

Thanks Eugene for the fast reply. The email thing now works properly.

Hopefully you can solve the other problem soon.

Congratulations and thank you anyway, I am confident it will work out in the end.

Best regards
Juan Luis

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
10-minute guide to setting up BaccS Jul 19, 2017

When you open a program for the first time, it's hard to know where to start. To help people through that initial phase, I wrote a quick step-by-step guide (and video) to setting up BaccS for the first time. There may well be better ways of setting it up, especially if you have more time, but this m... See more
When you open a program for the first time, it's hard to know where to start. To help people through that initial phase, I wrote a quick step-by-step guide (and video) to setting up BaccS for the first time. There may well be better ways of setting it up, especially if you have more time, but this method seems to work:

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2017/07/19/baccs-in-10-min/
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It's nice to finally see some competition! Jul 19, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

When you open a program for the first time, it's hard to know where to start. To help people through that initial phase, I wrote a quick step-by-step guide (and video) to setting up BaccS for the first time. There may well be better ways of setting it up, especially if you have more time, but this method seems to work:

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2017/07/19/baccs-in-10-min/

Wow, I always enjoy your software/hardware reviews/comparisons, and it's great to see BaccS getting some deserved attention here and there online. I've been using BaccS myself now since it was first released, and am happy I finally had the courage to ditch TO3000. IYAM, each TO3000 "upgrade" was merely yet another failed UI update, and the program itself no fun to use.

It's nice to see some competition though, and it looks like BaccS may even have woken AIT from its development slumber.

For example, after having asked AIT for it for literally years, and having it implemented in only a matter of days in BaccS, it's nice to see that AIT finally managed to add currency exchange data downloading. AIT is currently playing catch up. I wish them luck.

Michael

Silvia Di Profio
Italy
Member (2015)
English to Italian
Great news! Jul 19, 2017

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

To Silvia:
It looks like soon there will be an option to access your clients/invoices from BaccS through ProZ.com API. But we must wait when it will be implemented

Thank you for letting me know, Eugene.

I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting for this implementation. It would definitely save a lot of time

Silvia

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 20, 2017

Thank you, Emma! This is a qualification of high-grade professional, when one can explain the whole system with just a few words. And share with others.

Thanks, Michael, for the incredible support, cool ideas and communication!

Silvia Di Profio wrote:

Thank you for letting me know, Eugene.

I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting for this implementation. It would definitely save a lot of time

Silvia

Silvia, can't give 100% guarantee, but maybe this will be done on Monday-Tuesday.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Little things that cheer a translator's day Jul 21, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Wow, I always enjoy your software/hardware reviews/comparisons, and it's great to see BaccS getting some deserved attention here and there online. I've been using BaccS myself now since it was first released

Thanks, Michael. Yes, I'd seen you were a BaccS convert. That's one reason I thought I'd give it a try - you'd done some pretty thorough research into business management systems and chosen BaccS in the end. Looks like we're on the same path.

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:
This is a qualification of high-grade professional, when one can explain the whole system with just a few words

Well, thank you Eugene. Actually, I only explained a fraction of the whole system because I haven't had time to very deep.

That's one of the fun things about learning to use new software: discovering a minor but useful feature just makes my day!
Yesterday, for example, I learnt that there's no need to open a job to mark it as sent - simply right click the job in the dashboard and change the status to sent. The current date is automatically entered in the date delivered field! Cool!

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:58
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
In the BaccS ad placed on Proz, Jul 23, 2017

It is stated that the app is free for "Plus" package subscribers. However, I cannot see any icon or link for the Plus subscribers to download the exe file. Can you explain how I can get it for free as a "Plus" package subscriber?

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 12:58
Instructions for Plus subscribers Jul 24, 2017

jyuan_us wrote:

It is stated that the app is free for "Plus" package subscribers. However, I cannot see any icon or link for the Plus subscribers to download the exe file. Can you explain how I can get it for free as a "Plus" package subscriber?

Hi jyuan_us,

You can download BaccS here. After doing that follow the instructions in the manual under 'ProZ.com integration' and you will be able to connect your ProZ.com account for free access to the full version of BaccS.

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
News Jul 25, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Yesterday, for example, I learnt that there's no need to open a job to mark it as sent - simply right click the job in the dashboard and change the status to sent. The current date is automatically entered in the date delivered field! Cool!

Nice to hear this, Emma! You know, not everything is created by me here, as I use few external components to build this program, and they are so powerful, that even I still find cool hidden things. Among them, for example, is possibility to group jobs by time periods (years, months, weeks). Very handy.

Thank you, Kevin, for the recent answer! It was night here when jyuan_us asked the question. By the way, jyuan_us, did you encounter any problems while connecting to ProZ account and unlocking full version?

General news
Today I've uploaded new update with a lot of new stuff. First significant one is possibility to import clients and invoices from your ProZ.com account, as Silvia asked. This became possible with Kevin's help. Thanks! Hope it will be useful addition.

Another interesting feature I've been working on for about a month is a Workload planner. The idea is to get a clear picture of our current jobs and t get help with decisions about incoming offers. When we have 1 task for today, that's easy to remember, but if we have 5-10 ongoing jobs, it becomes easy to get lost. Here is the screenshot of the first results (hope we can much improve it after first impressions):

X axis contains days. Each day may include any number of jobs (see colorized rectangles), and we have some maximum day capacity (top red line). When new job is created, the program tries to fit it into empty slots (excluding weekends) according selected allocation method. If this is not possible, than it fits new job above our capacity. In this case we can easily see that this day will be complicated Or we can move excessive volumes to weekends, for example.
Thanks to 2 people who helped with ideas during implementation of this feature!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BaccS - Windows-based management and invoicing software for translators

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »