Thread poster: Omar Escobar
Omar Escobar
Omar Escobar  Identity Verified
Nicaragua
Local time: 19:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 22, 2019

I have been offered a job to provide the following services for educational videos:

1) Same-language subtitles: Creation and timing. I will be expected to transcript the instructor's spoken words and then time them accordingly.

2) Transcript editing: The company´s system automatically generates a transcript in text form. All I need to do is add paragraphs and make it readable.

The company wants me to provide a rate for each service described above per vide
... See more
I have been offered a job to provide the following services for educational videos:

1) Same-language subtitles: Creation and timing. I will be expected to transcript the instructor's spoken words and then time them accordingly.

2) Transcript editing: The company´s system automatically generates a transcript in text form. All I need to do is add paragraphs and make it readable.

The company wants me to provide a rate for each service described above per video minute or a combo rate.

I am new in the industry. I would truly appreciate any suggestion or feedback regarding how much to charge per service and per video minute.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Omar Sep 22, 2019

Omar Escobar wrote:

It will take anywhere between 6 and 10 minutes of actual time to transcribe 1 minute of video with reasonably clear speech quality. So, take your usual hourly rate, divide it by 60, and then multiply by e.g. 10.

I assume the client is essentially asking for what is the equivalent of a quick proofreading. The average speech speed of TED Talks is 160 words per minute. So, take your usual per-word proofreading rate, and multiply it by 160. If you don't have a per-word proofreading rate, take your usual per-word translation rate and divide it by 5.

If you don't have a "usual" hourly and per-word translation rate yet, then you'll have to figure out what other Nicaraguan translators typically charge. ProZ.com only provides the average rate per language, but not per translator country or per client country. So, visit the profile pages of Nicaraguan translators individually to see if they mention any rates (there seems to be only 58 of them at ProZ.com).

PS. I'm not a subtitler/transcriptionist myself.

[Edited at 2019-09-22 11:01 GMT]

Omar Escobar
Omar Escobar  Identity Verified
Nicaragua
Local time: 19:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Helpful asnwer Sep 23, 2019

Thanks a lot Samuel for the time you took to provide very helpful and meaningful information, which enabled me to have clear ideas as to the right pricing for these services.

I truly appreciate your suggestion and feedback.

Best regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same-language subtitle and transcript editing rates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »