WordFast Pro 3 - Translations disappear after cleanup
Thread poster: BTCBH
BTCBH
BTCBH
Belgium
Aug 19, 2019

After translating a relatively long document, I found that some items were missing in the translation even though I did translate them.
When I made a copy of the source file, opened it in WF Pro and ran through it, they remained gray (no translation found in memory).
However, when I checked the memory file in WordPad, the translations were actually there.

This is very frustrating and time consuming ... anybody an idea as regards to the reason and a possible solution?

kneyens
kneyens
Belgium
Local time: 12:33
French to Dutch
We have the same problem! Aug 19, 2019

We have the same problem. One of my colleagues asked for help with this quite some time ago, but we haven't found a solution yet
As you say, it is quite time consuming, and it also makes working with WF a bit unreliable.
We often translate documents that follow a specific template, and although this template has been translated completely, some parts never show up as 100%. The memory file however, contains several iden
... See more
We have the same problem. One of my colleagues asked for help with this quite some time ago, but we haven't found a solution yet
As you say, it is quite time consuming, and it also makes working with WF a bit unreliable.
We often translate documents that follow a specific template, and although this template has been translated completely, some parts never show up as 100%. The memory file however, contains several identical instances of these parts.
Very weird and very inconvenient.
A solution (or at least an explanation) would be higly appreciated!
Thank you for posting this! Hopefully some kind of answer will come up!
Collapse

Thayenga

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@BTCBH Aug 19, 2019

BTCBH wrote:
After translating a relatively long document...

What is the file format of the document(s) that you translate?

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Compatibility issue? Aug 22, 2019

This might not be your case, but I've had compatibility problems between WF3 and WF5 that sounds similar to your issue. When I've used TMs created in WF5 with WF3, there have always been random segments that were not showing up as translated, when they were.

Yes, it is frustrating to have work you have already done not appear when it is supposed to. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a CAT tool in the first place.

kneyens
kneyens
Belgium
French to Dutch
@Samuel Murray Aug 22, 2019

In our case it is mostly .doc or .docx

BTCBH
BTCBH
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
Format Aug 26, 2019

Same here: docs and docxs

BTCBH
BTCBH
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
Format Aug 26, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Doc and Docx most notably

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Pro 3 - Translations disappear after cleanup

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »