100% 0 0 0 0%
95%-99% 0 0 0 0%
85%-94% 0 0 0 0%
75%-84% 0 0 0 0%
00%-74% 1288 24195 160713 59%
Total 2998 40850 276552
0 tags
=========================================================

Looking at the repetitions, is the first time that a sentence (which is subsequently repeated) appears counted as a 0%-74% match (with all subsequent identical sentences appearing as Repetitions)? Or are all instances of that sentence counted as Repetitions?

In other words, in the example above, will I translate 24195 words and the rest will be repetitions of those words, or will I actually have to translate some of the 16655 words from scratch, and they will subsequently be repeated?

Just trying to get an accurate picture of how many words I have left to translate.

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lee Oct 25, 2019

Lee Roby wrote:
In other words, in the example above, will I translate 24195 words and the rest will be repetitions of those words...?

Yes. A "repetition" is a segment for which there is an identical segment elsewhere in the percentages.

Here is one 0-74% match and two repetitions (so, 9 new words, plus 18 words of repetitions):
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains.

[Edited at 2019-10-25 17:01 GMT]

Lee Roby
Lee Roby
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:32
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Understood Oct 25, 2019

That's brilliant thanks!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Caveat Oct 26, 2019

I work mostly with direct clients and normally just bill my translations based on the wordcount according to Microsoft office. However, I apply a discount for repetitions when I think it is merited; for example, the other day I gave one client a 50% discount because there were a lot of repetitions, it's a new client, and they're sending me quite a lot of work.

On the other hand, it's usually agencies that impose deductions for repetitions and "fuzzy matches" on translators. I'm usua
... See more
I work mostly with direct clients and normally just bill my translations based on the wordcount according to Microsoft office. However, I apply a discount for repetitions when I think it is merited; for example, the other day I gave one client a 50% discount because there were a lot of repetitions, it's a new client, and they're sending me quite a lot of work.

On the other hand, it's usually agencies that impose deductions for repetitions and "fuzzy matches" on translators. I'm usually reluctant to accept this kind of imposition, but then again, I only work with one or two translation agencies on a very occasional basis - I don't recall doing any agency work since February or March.

On the basis of the figures you posted, I wouldn't allow any discount on the total.

[Edited at 2019-10-26 12:19 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast repetitions: How do they work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »