Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: If you were a "generalist", which hard core niche (broad) would you choose?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 14:13
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Well Mar 8

Angie Garbarino wrote:
Jack of all trades was valid in the thread over number of pairs and not over number of subjects.

I don't agree wit the statement that translators better not have more than 1 or 2 language pairs, like I also don't agree with the statement that a translator can't handle (sufficiently good) several subjects a day or simply several subjects in general. I'm under the impression that people like to exaggerate in stating how complicated things are, while in reality they simply aren't.

It's all a matter of the right amount of concentration and dedication and a proper professional attitude, combined to what matters the most : linguistic skills.

(Yes, this is only my opinion)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:13
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
OK Mar 8

Lieven Malaise wrote:

It's all a matter of the right amount of concentration and dedication and a proper professional attitude, combined to what matters the most : linguistic skills.

Professional attitude aside, just how do you decide what to work on? Do you really accept anything that is being offered and have no issue handling all the work? One of the reasons why I could drop entire languages and be very picky about subjects (while also raising my rates) was because I was having too much work already, so I'm really curious...

Christopher Schröder

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
And I agree Mar 8

Lieven Malaise wrote:

I don't agree wit the statement that translators better not have more than 1 or 2 language pairs, like I also don't agree with the statement that a translator can't handle (sufficiently good) several subjects a day or simply several subjects in general. I'm under the impression that people like to exaggerate in stating how complicated things are, while in reality they simply aren't.

(Yes, this is only my opinion)

Ok this is also my opinion. I agree with the above, really.

Lieven Malaise
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Answers Mar 8

Liena Vijupe wrote:
Professional attitude aside, just how do you decide what to work on?

'First come, first served' is my principle. I accept most assignments even without looking at the text, unless I'm asked to translate spare part lists and the like. I can do that because I have only decent customers that virtually never offer me shitty jobs.

Liena Vijupe wrote:
Do you really accept anything that is being offered

I accept everything that is conventional translation, editing, post-editing and proofreading. I really don't care if it's about nuclear plants, baby toys, garden furniture, women's underwear, legal agreements, medical devices, clinical studies, surgical procedures, packaging machines or court cases.

Liena Vijupe wrote:
and have no issue handling all the work?

Why should I have issues with that? If my schedule is full I stop accepting assignments. And being a translator for almost 24 years I know pretty well how long a certain type of text will take me to translate or post-edit. I work with stats, you know. I measure every single hour or every two hours how much words I have translated to be able to predict how many more hours I will need.

Aitor Salaberria

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:13
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Researching vs translating. Mar 8

Lieven Malaise wrote:

At the end of the day the most important asset of a translator are his linguistic skills, followed by his ability to search for and correctly analyze the information at hand, not his acquired knowledge about whatever topic (we have the internet for that).

That means more time spent researching and less time translating.

Liena Vijupe
Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Productivity Mar 8

Lieven Malaise wrote:

But would you not agree that you would get more work done if you worked in fewer areas?

Michele Fauble
Liena Vijupe

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
whatever works for you Mar 8

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Why should I have issues with that? If my schedule is full I stop accepting assignments.

So do I and everybody else, I believe. What I meant was having to reject work and spend time replying to e-mails when you're already busy while also trying not to let down best clients too often.
When I was getting more work than I could handle and had to reject work I would have loved to take (or just preferred to some other for any reason) it seemed inevitable to narrow it down somehow, but keep going however you like.

Christopher Schröder

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
other Mar 8

a combination of medical and engineering (IT included)

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Disagree Mar 9

Lieven Malaise wrote:

At the end of the day the most important asset of a translator are his linguistic skills, followed by his ability to search for and correctly analyze the information at hand, not his acquired knowledge about whatever topic (we have the internet for that).

I might be the best internet researcher in the world, that doesn't mean that I would be able to read between the lines of a complex text in a field I know nothing about it, at least in my case.

Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington
IrinaN
Michele Fauble
Barbara Carrara
Becca Resnik

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
re Mar 9

Gianni Pastore wrote:

I might be the best internet researcher in the world, that doesn't mean that I would be able to read between the lines of a complex text in a field I know nothing about it, at least in my case.

Quite rarely, this approach might be good in business, political and social communication only. In most other cases, a good translator should exactly convey what's been said or written, especially all and every mistake or ambiguity at the source side. Only such job of delivering quality feed to the analysts can be considered as a professional one. It's up to the analysts to make special glossaries for specific cases (when specific persons communicate on specific matters in a specific situation, time, location). Well-motivated analyst will always provide such glossary to his/her translator.
If a Chinese/Indian/Arab/Slavic business writes in ""English"" a technical instruction/description addressed to his foreign counterpart, the latter should be aware of every detail of the subject under discussion.

Lieven Malaise

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
I voted engineering Mar 9

I already specialize in certain areas of engineering. If you go to KudoZ (in my pair), you'll see that lots of engineering-related questions only get answered by a very limited number of people: there aren't many translators who specialize in these things today, everyone prefers what service economy brings to the table. How do you talk about building things? Nobody cares anymore, and yet things have to be built, there's no way around this

Christopher Schröder

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:13
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jack of all trades Mar 9

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I wonder why

Jack of all trades was valid in the thread over number of pairs and not over number of subjects.

Strange thing

My thought exactly.

[Edited at 2024-03-09 18:42 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Mar 10

Michele Fauble wrote:
That means more time spent researching and less time translating.

In the beginning, sure. After 20+ years? Not so much. Let there be no mistake: after all these years I consider myself specialized in every single translation field I translate regularly. But does that mean I'm an expert in the theory behind those fields? Not even close.

Gerard Barry

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Eggs Mar 10

Christopher Schröder wrote:
But would you not agree that you would get more work done if you worked in fewer areas?

Perhaps, but I like to put my eggs in as much baskets as possible. And the longer I'm active in this business the faster I'm becoming in translating even the hardest stuff.

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-03-10 11:52 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Mar 10

Liena Vijupe wrote:
What I meant was having to reject work and spend time replying to e-mails when you're already busy while also trying not to let down best clients too often.

Time replying is no issue at all. I've made it a habit to reply instantly to every e-mail I get. It takes me seconds (I'm available / I'm not available). I work with about 15-20 returning clients on a year basis, so I don't get dozens of e-mails a day.

It might be tricky to let down your best clients, but choices have consequences. I've chosen to consequently accept the work from whoever comes first. I don't hesitate a second to "let down" my best clients even 4 times in a row if it must be. It is my experience that they always come back sooner or later and mostly sooner. I've told this before, but it's true: my clients are extremely loyal and I think they appreciate the fact that I inform them of my unavailability within minutes. Besides that I don't think it's bad that your clients feel that they don't own you in any way.

Kevin Fulton

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you were a "generalist", which hard core niche (broad) would you choose?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »