Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: In your opinion, which is the most valuable tip for a beginner in the industry?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Do you have any proof of that? Mar 14

Maja_K wrote:

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Without a high level of networking skills, no inhouse job will ever happen. The EC and most official bodies only hire those who managed to be well-connected before they applied. If you don't know the right people, you'll never get hired no matter how qualified you are.

I worked for 20 years as staff translator at an EU institution and before being hired I didn’t know a single soul there. I had to pass a rigorous selection procedure – some pre-selection psychometric tests, followed by a test on EU knowledge, and several written translation tests (in all my working languages: EN, FR, ES and IT/PT) and then an interview. I was included in the so-called reserve list of successful candidates in 5th place and was recruited when the reserve list was about to expire…

Although I have never worked for an EU institution, I kinda believe it's the way how writeaway describes it. @Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida I guess you (and only small number of translators or other professionals) would be an exception to that.

I should also point out that all the tests are anonymous!

Kay Denney

Maja_K
Maja_K  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:52
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Do I have a proof of what? Mar 14

Maja_K wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Without a high level of networking skills, no inhouse job will ever happen. The EC and most official bodies only hire those who managed to be well-connected before they applied. If you don't know the right people, you'll never get hired no matter how qualified you are.

I worked for 20 years as staff translator at an EU institution and before being hired I didn’t know a single soul there. I had to pass a rigorous selection procedure – some pre-selection psychometric tests, followed by a test on EU knowledge, and several written translation tests (in all my working languages: EN, FR, ES and IT/PT) and then an interview. I was included in the so-called reserve list of successful candidates in 5th place and was recruited when the reserve list was about to expire…

Although I have never worked for an EU institution, I kinda believe it's the way how writeaway describes it. @Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida I guess you (and only small number of translators or other professionals) would be an exception to that.

I should also point out that all the tests are anonymous!

In both of my sentences I used "I believe, I guess", it's not like I stated facts.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
10 years can be Mar 14

Baran Keki wrote:
there are certain areas where MT fails miserably and thus human translation is still very much needed' during the whole workshop for the next 10 years?

But 10 years can be ok for me, but what is 10 years in a career of a 30 year old person? A flap of butterfly wings, they fly away in an instant.

I agree with Kay.

[Edited at 2024-03-14 16:25 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Inhouse jobs Mar 14

writeaway wrote:
Without a high level of networking skills, no inhouse job will ever happen.

Official bodies aren't the only ones who offer inhouse positions. You don't need a network to find a job in a translation agency.

Angie Garbarino
Rachel Waddington
Baran Keki

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Networking Mar 14

writeaway wrote:

Networking is certainly useful but this is an exageration (and I'd like to see some evidence for the EC claim too).

In any case, you can learn to network. You just need to put yourself out there.

Lieven Malaise

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I am with Kay Mar 14

Kay Denney wrote:

I'd tell them to find another job. I really don't see any future in translating. NB I don't consider MTPE to be translation.

I still have 2 years to go till my retirement (besides, no idea what to do else, and who would hire me anyway?), so I am not worrying, but for young(er) people who want to start a career in translation, I also don't see a future. And if there is a future in translation, it would be a very 'low budget' one, unless you like peanuts.

[Edited at 2024-03-14 17:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-14 17:50 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
writeaway
Paulo Melo
Jorge Payan
Elaine Ruby
Chosana Thanabhumi

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What this means Mar 14

Thomas Johansson wrote:

What does "marketing my services with clients" mean? My clients already know I translate. Can anyone give an example?

Marketing yourself full stop. To everyone who isn't already a client. Prospects. New clients.

Dan Lucas
Angie Garbarino
Jorge Payan
Thomas Johansson
Rachel Waddington

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Dear Maria Teresa, Mar 14

writeaway wrote:

Sorry to say so (no insult meant), but those were different times, uncomparable with today's reality.

Maja_K
Angie Garbarino
writeaway
Jocelin Meunier
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Jorge Payan
Elaine Ruby

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In my practice Mar 14

Baran Keki wrote:
Why not advise them to become 'translation mastermind coaches' to do 'take your translation business to the next level' workshops (charging 199.99 $ per person), harping on the message 'while AI has made great strides, there are certain areas where MT fails miserably and thus human translation is still very much needed' during the whole workshop for the next 10 years?

You also get to say "in my translation practice" when you mean "in my work". What's not to like?

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:52
English to Turkish
Right on Mar 14

Christopher Schröder wrote:
You also get to say "in my translation practice" when you mean "in my work". What's not to like?

You also get to 'empower' people by being an 'empowerer'

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
Jorge Payan

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Good luck Mar 14

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Thomas Johansson wrote:

What does "marketing my services with clients" mean? My clients already know I translate. Can anyone give an example?

Marketing yourself full stop. To everyone who isn't already a client. Prospects. New clients.

Don't you think 'the clients' haven't discovered chatGPT/MT themselves yet?

I used to work for an end client who sent me quite a lot of work. One day the well dried up. I asked them about it. The answer was that they threw the text through some damn machine, and let 'John' from some department 'correct' the whole stuff. He was from Holland, so he knew the language.

You and I know that quality is far to look for in this case, but unfortunately, it is also today's reality.

[Edited at 2024-03-14 18:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-14 18:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-14 18:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-14 18:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-15 09:15 GMT]

Maja_K
Angie Garbarino
Jorge Payan
Elaine Ruby
Barbara Carrara
Christine Andersen
Claudia Cherici

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Robert Mar 14

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Sorry to say so (no insult meant), but those were different times, uncomparable with today's reality.

As far as I know, requirements to become a translator in an EU institution are even tougher today than they were in 1986 when I took part in my competition. That’s why EPSO was created. Anyway, application files are anonymous and go through so many stages and hands that frankly I can’t see how networking would work. But that’s just my experience and point of view.

P.S. No insult taken whatsoever….

Rachel Waddington

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I do Mar 14

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

writeaway wrote:

As far as I know, requirements to become a translator in an EU institution are even tougher today than they were in 1986 when I took part in my competition. That’s why EPSO was created. Anyway, application files are anonymous and go through so many stages and hands that frankly I can’t see how networking would work. But that’s just my experience and point of view.

We apparently disagree. Doesn't matter, but I think knowing people/having a network surely helps by getting a job. We have a saying: you won't get there without connections.

It is all more difficult nowadays.

Thats all.

writeaway

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Hype Mar 14

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
I used to work for an end client who sent me quite a lot of work. One day the well dried up. I asked them about it. The answer was that they threw the text through some damn machine, and let 'John' from some department 'correct' the whole stuff. He was from Holland, so he knew the language.

We have the hype to thank for that. But one day John might be held responsible for some terrible mistakes he has let pass. MT is far from flawless, John is very likely not a trained linguist and he obviously isn't newly hired for this, so he does this "in-between".

I'm rather optimistic about the fact that end clients like yours might be leaving today, but will eventually come back, at least for documents that are somewhat of importance.

What I don't doubt is that they will demand an MTPE service at a reduced rate.

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-03-14 18:30 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Robert Rietvelt
Nadja Balogh

Maja_K
Maja_K  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
It's not about what you know ... Mar 14

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

writeaway wrote:

We apparently disagree. Doesn't matter, but I think knowing people/having a network surely helps by getting a job. We have a saying: you won't get there without connections.

It is all more difficult nowadays.

Thats all.

I believe it's the Americans who have a nice saying about this: "It's not about what you know, it's about who you know and who you blow".

writeaway
Matthias Brombach
Robert Rietvelt

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In your opinion, which is the most valuable tip for a beginner in the industry?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »