Alemanha
Local time: 06:00
alemão para espanhol
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 13, 2010

Hello proz.com-Team,

I have two suggestions:

- Under directories, while searching for a translator, you could add the question if they are sworn in their pairs.

- At the drop menu when I clic my name, you could add my profile number, so I do not need to look for it anywhere else.

Many greetings,
Helena

[Edited at 2010-02-13 12:40 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
alemão para espanhol
+ ...
ProZ.com suggestions Feb 13, 2010

Helena Diaz del Real wrote:

Hello proz.com-Team,

I have two suggestions:

- Under directories, while searching for a translator, you could add the question if they are sworn in their pairs.

- At the drop menu when I clic my name, you could add my profile number, so I do not need to look for it anywhere else.

Many greetings,
Helena

Hi, Helena: I join both suggestions. This would allow to filter easely sworn translators between the others, as well as to read and copy and paste the access number to your profile to any other place.

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Alemanha
alemão para espanhol
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
In memoriam
Thank you very much, Pablo Feb 13, 2010

Dear Pablo,
Thank you very much for joining me for this matter!
I even would add, not only to add my own profile number, but even a complete link to it, so, as you say, if I refer to it, I just need to copy and paste it.

I hope everything's OK for you!

My very best wishes,
Helena

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Espanha
Local time: 05:00
Membro (2007)
inglês
+ ...
Definitely Feb 13, 2010

I even would add, not only to add my own profile number, but even a complete link to it, so, as you say, if I refer to it, I just need to copy and paste it.

I quite agree that this would be useful.

I have actually requested the link to be more easily available but staff gave suggestions to keep it in a separate file (which I have done but I don't find that at all useful) or to put it at the end of all emails, as a signature line, which I don't want to do as it wouldn't be appropriate for a lot of my emails.

I hope this can be made available.

Ronald van der Linden (X)
Ronald van der Linden (X)
México
Local time: 22:00
holandês para inglês
+ ...
sworn translator option not in profile Feb 14, 2010

I think the reason why the option is not present in the search engine, is that mentioning that you are a sworn translator is not possible.

I checked where I could add that I'm a sworn translator (I am not!), but it doesn't exist. If I checked correctly, of course.

This means, it would need to be added in the profile section first. Perhaps a good place is under language where you also state your services for that particular language, like translation, transition, subtitl
... See more
I think the reason why the option is not present in the search engine, is that mentioning that you are a sworn translator is not possible.

I checked where I could add that I'm a sworn translator (I am not!), but it doesn't exist. If I checked correctly, of course.

This means, it would need to be added in the profile section first. Perhaps a good place is under language where you also state your services for that particular language, like translation, transition, subtitles, etc.

OR, in the meantime, when using the directories, you could try and use the "keyword" field, 4th field below when filling in the search details.

[Edited at 2010-02-14 04:09 GMT]
Collapse

Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Alemanha
inglês para alemão
+ ...
search criteria "sworn translator" Feb 14, 2010

Ronald van der Linden wrote:

This means, it would need to be added in the profile section first. Perhaps a good place is under language where you also state your services for that particular language, like translation, transition, subtitles, etc.

OR, in the meantime, when using the directories, you could try and use the "keyword" field, 4th field below when filling in the search details.

[Edited at 2010-02-14 04:09 GMT]

I think not every country has "sworn translators". In the USA and in the UK, for example, translations for certain official purposes may need to be notarised (the translator's certificate confirming accuracy and completeness of the translation is notarised), in the UK "self certified" translations may also be accepted by official bodies, if the translators belong to the IoL or ITI. Translators in Germany can specify in their profiles that they hold a credential from the "German courts" and they are searcheable by that criterion using the advanced search.

Helena Diaz del Real
Alemanha
alemão para espanhol
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
In memoriam
Thank you very much for your opinions! Feb 26, 2010

Hello everybody!

@ Sheila: I quite agree with you. I even think that the suggestion you mention and that was given by the staff is not useful at all, specially in case you've got a message for collaboration through proz.com. There it's useless what do you have on your e-mails information (signature)...

@ Ronald: I do not agree with you. You can, indeed mention in your profile, if you are sworn or not. You have, for it, the section "about me". But I think it would be a
... See more
Hello everybody!

@ Sheila: I quite agree with you. I even think that the suggestion you mention and that was given by the staff is not useful at all, specially in case you've got a message for collaboration through proz.com. There it's useless what do you have on your e-mails information (signature)...

@ Ronald: I do not agree with you. You can, indeed mention in your profile, if you are sworn or not. You have, for it, the section "about me". But I think it would be a great help to include this option among the criteria to find a certain person in the searching engine.

@ Birgit: I think this is not at all a matter of being better or geting more points or whatever. But sometimes, you need a traslation to be sworn. Of course not always and of course not in all countries. But in countries where sometimes you might need one, I think this is a very helpful searching criteria (and, of course I don't know it for sure, but I would say in all european countries you may need to get such a translation). Or with other words: While searching for a certain translator in "XY-Land", I think most of the people do not fill in all criteria the searching engine offers you. So this could be one more to be helped out, whenever you need it.

Thank you very much for your thoughts and comments!

Have a nice weekend!

Regards,
Helena
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
inglês para húngaro
+ ...
Sworn translators Feb 28, 2010

As the above thread shows, even translators are not familiar with the situation of the "sworn translator" status in other countries. It would be unrealistic to expect that others do, and they would be searching for something which simply doesn't exist in a number of countries. I think the implications are numerous, and with a bit of insight you can draw your own conclusions.

On the other hand nothing stops you to make your status as a sworn translator in your country and language p
... See more
As the above thread shows, even translators are not familiar with the situation of the "sworn translator" status in other countries. It would be unrealistic to expect that others do, and they would be searching for something which simply doesn't exist in a number of countries. I think the implications are numerous, and with a bit of insight you can draw your own conclusions.

On the other hand nothing stops you to make your status as a sworn translator in your country and language pair to be known to others by stating it in your profile and website.

This search criteria should be implemented only with a note attached to explain why the search may not show any results, or if it does, the details of the sworn translator status should be scrutinised, and perhaps add a list of the countries where the system and procedures are different.
Collapse

Helena Diaz del Real
Alemanha
alemão para espanhol
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
In memoriam
Just as simply as... Feb 28, 2010

Hi Juvera,
Thank you very much for your reply.

juvera wrote:
As the above thread shows, even translators are not familiar with the situation of the "sworn translator" status in other countries. It would be unrealistic to expect that others do

Well I think this is not an argument. I don't need to know the situation in Malawi or in Bhutan, as most probably I will never need a sworn translator there (or from there)...

and they would be searching for something which simply doesn't exist in a number of countries.

Why should anybody search for something he/she does not need??? Or with other words: Why should I look for a green bear with wings, if I need absolutely no bears at all?

I think the implications are numerous, and with a bit of insight you can draw your own conclusions.

Sorry, I can't figure it out.

This search criteria should be implemented only with a note attached to explain why the search may not show any results, or if it does, the details of the sworn translator status should be scrutinised, and perhaps add a list of the countries where the system and procedures are different.

Why not even more simple: Just a list with the countries in which you can find sworn translators and you may get in need of one?

My best wishes,
Helena

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
EQUIPE DO SITE
Thanks for the suggestions, Helena! Mar 1, 2010

Hello all,

I apologize for the delay in my reply.

As Ronald noticed, adding a "Sworn translator" search criteria in the directory would imply adding a "Sworn translator" option in profiles as this specification is not yet available. I will then add this suggestion to our list of ideas for site improvement to be evaluated for possible future implementation.

I will check with developers on this one and see the possibilities of providing a link to personal profiles that can be copied and pasted for easy sharing.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
inglês para húngaro
+ ...
It is NOT like that Mar 2, 2010

Hi Helena,
thank you for your reply.

Hi Juvera,
Thank you very much for your reply.

juvera wrote:
As the above thread shows, even translators are not familiar with the situation of the "sworn translator" status in other countries. It would be unrealistic to expect that others do

Well I think this is not an argument. I don't need to know the situation in Malawi or in Bhutan, as most probably I will never need a sworn translator there (or from there)...

and they would be searching for something which simply doesn't exist in a number of countries.

Or with other words: Why should I look for a green bear with wings, if I need absolutely no bears at all?

I think the implications are numerous, and with a bit of insight you can draw your own conclusions.

Sorry, I can't figure it out.

Why not even more simple: Just a list with the countries in which you can find sworn translators and you may get in need of one?

The argument is valid, it is based on experience and it is a simple as this;
because there are sworn translators in some countries, we frequently get enquiries: "Are you a sworn translator?" - although there is no "sworn translator" as such for example in the UK, where I live. The correct answer is often received incredulously, even with scorn, implying that surely the translator must be mistaken, or want to hide the fact that he is not one of them. Phew!

Why should anybody search for something he/she does not need???

We are talking about cross-country language exchange. The clients DO need their translated documents made official, and they assume that the solution is the same as in their country, but it isn't.

Introducing a search criterion even with qualification, which is only relevant to some countries, would simply cause more confusion.

Kind regards
Judith

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 00:00
Membro (2002)
inglês para húngaro
+ ...
No need for new feature, IMHO - list it as a credential Mar 2, 2010

I think being "sworn" (whatever that means in each country) is like a credential (such as the ATA certification).
It is possible to add that to your credential list, and perhaps get it verified by ProZ staff as well (I am not sure if that is currently verifyable - Lucia?).
For the search, it is already possible to require credentials (verified or not verified).
It is not possible to filter for a particular type of credential, and I don't think it would be practical either. The
... See more
I think being "sworn" (whatever that means in each country) is like a credential (such as the ATA certification).
It is possible to add that to your credential list, and perhaps get it verified by ProZ staff as well (I am not sure if that is currently verifyable - Lucia?).
For the search, it is already possible to require credentials (verified or not verified).
It is not possible to filter for a particular type of credential, and I don't think it would be practical either. The outsourcer could look through the profiles of those already filtered for having a credential to see whether they are "sworn".

I completely agree with Juvera that introducing a checkbox for "sworn" translators would result in many searches where the person who is searching is not sure what "sworn" is, and whether it is applicable for the languages, country etc. he is looking for, but since the checkbox is there, he would tick it, "just to be sure".

This is the same mechanism that results in job postings where the job is interpretation and they require Trados...

Katalin
Collapse

Christina Paiva
Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 01:00
português para inglês
+ ...
Sworn translators' credentials Mar 2, 2010

It is not pos... See more
It is not possible to filter for a particular type of credential, and I don't think it would be practical either. The outsourcer could look through the profiles of those already filtered for having a credential to see whether they are "sworn".

I submitted my sworn translator ID to have it verified. This is the only proof of my skills as a translator. Anyway, in Brazil we are 'public servants without a desk', and we must comply with the rules of the State Trade Board, including rates which are determined by them.
However, I think that most of the job offers I receive through proz are related to my 'favorite' very technical subject areas On the other hand, most of the sworn translations I get are from clients based in the area I live or those who are abroad, but left their documents with their relatives.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two suggestions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »