Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:41
German to English
+ ...
May 31, 2010

I suggest you should replace the text "Post discussion entry" with "New discussion entry" in the dialog box where a discussion entry contribution (in Kudoz) is typed (or even hide that button while a discussion entry is being typed).
Reason:
On at least two occasions this year I have clicked on "Post discussion entry" after typing my text for a discussion entry; the result was that all my typed text disappeared and I was taken back to the situation with empty input fields where I had
... See more
I suggest you should replace the text "Post discussion entry" with "New discussion entry" in the dialog box where a discussion entry contribution (in Kudoz) is typed (or even hide that button while a discussion entry is being typed).
Reason:
On at least two occasions this year I have clicked on "Post discussion entry" after typing my text for a discussion entry; the result was that all my typed text disappeared and I was taken back to the situation with empty input fields where I had to type it all again (or go away and not post an entry). My subconscious thinking was evidently: "I have typed my discussion entry; now I want to post it. There's a button labelled "Post discussion entry" - yes, that's what I'm ready to do now."
After that happens, I realise of course that the correct button to click was "Submit", but it's too late, unless I have saved or prepared my text somewhere else such as a plain text editor.
Oliver
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:41
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Good point Oliver... May 31, 2010

... this has happened to me too.

Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
Agree May 31, 2010

It happens to me too... regularly, my brain doesn't seem to be able to get it

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Or, use Opera May 31, 2010

Oliver Walter wrote:
On at least two occasions this year I have clicked on "Post discussion entry" after typing my text for a discussion entry; the result was that all my typed text disappeared and I was taken back to the situation with empty input fields where I had to type it all again...

If you use Opera as your browser, you could simply use the Back button and your text would still be there. But I know this is not the solution for you, so here's my +1 for your suggestion.

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:41
English to Latvian
+ ...
Or, use Firefox May 31, 2010

There is a useful add-on for Firefox, called Lazarus: Form Recovery: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6984/
It proves to be very useful in cases like these.
Nevertheless, I agree that the button name "Post discussion entry" might be quite misleading.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
To Evija May 31, 2010

Thank you very much for the tip about Lazarus. I have often felt the need for something like this. I sometimes browse the Firefox add-ons looking for anything that I might find useful, but somehow this one didn't register. I've just installed it and tried it out, and it works very well.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Could you please specify your browser type and version? May 31, 2010

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Oliver.

I tested this with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.19 and Google Chrome 4.1 and I was not able to reproduce the problem.

Would you mind specifying the browser type and version you are using? This will help our developers to look into this better. Thanks!

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Issue not related to browser type or version May 31, 2010

Hi all again!

Apparently, this issue is not related to the browser type or version used but with how the Kudoz discussion feature works. It seems that when no discussion entry has been submitted, and we are about the enter the first entry, both sets of buttons are shown --"Preview/Submit/Cancel" and "Post discussion entry/Hide discussion".

Now, let me see that only the first set of options is shown whether when posting the first discussion entry or a reply to others an
... See more
Hi all again!

Apparently, this issue is not related to the browser type or version used but with how the Kudoz discussion feature works. It seems that when no discussion entry has been submitted, and we are about the enter the first entry, both sets of buttons are shown --"Preview/Submit/Cancel" and "Post discussion entry/Hide discussion".

Now, let me see that only the first set of options is shown whether when posting the first discussion entry or a reply to others and let you know once it has been fixed.

Thanks again for reporting this and in advance for your patience.

Lucia
Collapse

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Same here, Firefox 3.5.6 May 31, 2010

After clicking "Post discussion entry" and typing the entry I clicked "Post discussion entry" again instead of clicking "Submit", and my entry was gone. This happens most easily when using the "Preview" function before, because then the "Post" button is located directly under the preview, while the correct "Submit" button is above the preview.

Even if it was possible to recover the entry by using the browser's "Back" button, this seems to be a quite common problem, so hiding the "Po
... See more
After clicking "Post discussion entry" and typing the entry I clicked "Post discussion entry" again instead of clicking "Submit", and my entry was gone. This happens most easily when using the "Preview" function before, because then the "Post" button is located directly under the preview, while the correct "Submit" button is above the preview.

Even if it was possible to recover the entry by using the browser's "Back" button, this seems to be a quite common problem, so hiding the "Post" button or finding some other solution would be helpful.

Matthias

Edit: Too late

[Edited at 2010-05-31 13:13 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks! May 31, 2010

I've been there and done that several times too!

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that is correct May 31, 2010

♫ Lucia ♫ wrote:
Lucia

Yes, that is what I meant.
I am interested to note that several other members have had the same experience as me! ... and thank you Evija for pointing out the existence of Lazarus. I mostly use FireFox but there are so many add-ons available - I didn't know this one existed.
Oliver

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 21:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ctrl + Z May 31, 2010

The very same thing has happened to me, and more than once! I'm a slow learner, I guess.

Can't you get your text back by pressing Ctrl + Z? I can't say with confidence that this trick has worked for me on this site, but it has elsewhere. It's "Undo" when you're not in a word processor with an "undo" icon.

Jane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hide "Post discussion entry" button when entry is already being typed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »