Thread poster: Steven Smith
Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:18
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Jul 19, 2018

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2015 to translate a Word document which contains field codes for intradocument hyperlinks to tables, section headings, etc.

When these field codes appear in the middle of a segment they are shown as vertical bars and I can transfer them to the target segment.

However, when a sentence starts with a field code (e.g. '[Section 1] describes...'), the field code is omitted from the source segment in Studio. It is not even separately segmented,
... See more
I am using SDL Trados Studio 2015 to translate a Word document which contains field codes for intradocument hyperlinks to tables, section headings, etc.

When these field codes appear in the middle of a segment they are shown as vertical bars and I can transfer them to the target segment.

However, when a sentence starts with a field code (e.g. '[Section 1] describes...'), the field code is omitted from the source segment in Studio. It is not even separately segmented, just omitted entirely. I only know it is there by checking the Word document. The field code is retained in the cleaned up file but then needs to be moved to the correct part of the translated sentence.

Are there any solutions for this?

[Edited at 2018-07-19 10:08 GMT]
Collapse

Janine Teuscher
Janine Teuscher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:18
English to German
+ ...
Tag settings Jul 24, 2018

Hi Steven,

I have had similar problems in the past and changing the tag settings did the trick in my case.
You can find them in the "options" window:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/Options_Editor.htm

The "Formatting display style" section is what could make a diff
... See more
Hi Steven,

I have had similar problems in the past and changing the tag settings did the trick in my case.
You can find them in the "options" window:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/Options_Editor.htm

The "Formatting display style" section is what could make a difference. "Show all formatting and tags" might be the safest bet so Trados doesn't hide things from you. This setting should be applied to the next project/file you create in Trados.

I hope this helps.

Best regards
Janine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with field codes when translating Word doc

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »