Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
ChatGPT : Are translators an endangered species ?
Thread poster: M. El Kadimi
IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 15:56
English to Russian
+ ...
No, but some clients are Apr 2, 2023

I don't know what kind of medical translation is considered suitable for AI, maybe some simple medical history or certain popular science articles. I don't touch it with a barge pole but once I asked for help because my relative asked me to help him with the doctor's conclusion (maybe it's called differently in medical terms ).

Here is my question:

multi-planar sliding thin slab reformation

G
... See more
I don't know what kind of medical translation is considered suitable for AI, maybe some simple medical history or certain popular science articles. I don't touch it with a barge pole but once I asked for help because my relative asked me to help him with the doctor's conclusion (maybe it's called differently in medical terms ).

Here is my question:

multi-planar sliding thin slab reformation

Google masterpiece:

многоплоскостное скользящее преобразование тонких плит (slab as in concrete slab is just one problem, spiced with "sliding reformation" verbatim)

Professional answer:

мультипланарная (многоплоскостная) реконструкция с применением программы сложения тонких фрагментов/срезов
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Inge Schumacher

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:56
German to Swedish
+ ...
Suitability Apr 2, 2023

IrinaN wrote:

I don't know what kind of medical translation is considered suitable for AI, maybe some simple medical history or certain popular science articles.

On the contrary AI would likely do very well with lots of extremely difficult material (medical studies, also legal material etc.). The terminology is characteristic and predictable, the text is often structured in a similar way, various statements are used over and over with slight variations in content. But 98% isn't good enough here and there's no room for the inevitable occasional AI howlers.

Also, AI is bad at translating a few words without much context, but often very good when given more context.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-04-02 16:09 GMT]

Inge Schumacher
Jorge Payan

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Original post removed.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Original post removed.
Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
ChatGPT is a ticking time bomb Apr 3, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

I had the following session with ChatGPT and then decided to move to an undisclosed location.

How long do you think you can hide, Baran?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvk1ITr0-Mg&list=LL&index=15

Baran Keki

Frank Wong
Frank Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:56
Chinese to English
+ ...
agreed Apr 3, 2023

Though ChatGPT can take away a great deal of jobs or change how we work, I think it's a million miles away from eliminating translators or any other positions requiring human interaction. The next big thing about AI is supposed to come from biology (specifically research on human brain) rather than data, computing and machine learning. If we can someday cure neurological disorders like dementia, epilepsy, autism etc., we then really come closer to real AI. It is great in terms of our wellbeing, ... See more
Though ChatGPT can take away a great deal of jobs or change how we work, I think it's a million miles away from eliminating translators or any other positions requiring human interaction. The next big thing about AI is supposed to come from biology (specifically research on human brain) rather than data, computing and machine learning. If we can someday cure neurological disorders like dementia, epilepsy, autism etc., we then really come closer to real AI. It is great in terms of our wellbeing, but it could be a grave concern for everything else.

[Edited at 2023-04-03 09:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-04-03 09:06 GMT]
Collapse

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
true Apr 4, 2023

Sara Massons wrote:

Chat GPT, as any AI of nowadays, is not really "intelligent": it is just a giant algorithm that compiles a tremendous amount of data available on the Internet and has been sufficiently trained to be able to produce understandable human language. As such, when asked this type of question, it just search all related content on the Internet and make a synthesis (which, from a technical point of view, is quite a performance). Chat GPT's "opinion" is just a rather balanced synthesis of the opinions of the trillions of people (us included) who produce content on the Internet.

That said, I'm glad to read that enough people who publish content on the web are convinced of the quality of our work to take the AI to this conclusion.

True, but the same goes for many human beings, whose thought is just a compilation of politically correct insights fed by mainstream media.

Mr. Satan (X)
Jorge Payan

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
fair enough Apr 4, 2023

fullt
M. El Kadimi wrote:

Here's ChatGPT's answer:
In conclusion, while machine translation technology can help businesses and individuals with their translation needs, it cannot replace the need for human translators entirely. Instead, it should be seen as a complementary tool that can help increase efficiency and productivity in the translation industry.

Fair enough, huh?

what matters is how it impacts our revenue. Combine harvesters also cannot replace human labor force entirely but nowadays agriculture only employs 4 percent of the labor force.

Tomasz Sienicki
Julia Burgess

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
It takes all sorts Apr 4, 2023

David GAY wrote:
True, but the same goes for many human beings, whose thought is just a compilation of politically correct insights fed by mainstream media.

Or, indeed, a compilation of bigoted disinformation fed by alternative media.

Matthias Brombach
Lieven Malaise
Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philippe Etienne

Julia Efimova
Julia Efimova
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:56
English to Russian
Prompts for GPT Apr 4, 2023

Has anyone already tried writing prompts for ChatGPT for translation tasks?

I've read recently that it was integrated into Trados, and translators may write prompts to utilize GPT-based translations.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a Trados license and work on another cloud-based platform.

It would be nice to hear from the pioneers of prompt engineering:)

Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
ChatGPT may be useful as another MT tool but it will never be able to replace human translators Apr 5, 2023

Only yesterday I started working on the translation of a piece of literature from French to German and I used different tools such as DeepL, Matecat and ChatGPT for this. Even if these tools are quite efficient and helpful (they give you ideas) it still needs the eyes and the brain of a human translator to do a good job.
I would NEVER rely on a machine to do a (difficult) translation!

I fully agree with Sara Massons: "it is just a giant algorithm that compiles a tremendous a
... See more
Only yesterday I started working on the translation of a piece of literature from French to German and I used different tools such as DeepL, Matecat and ChatGPT for this. Even if these tools are quite efficient and helpful (they give you ideas) it still needs the eyes and the brain of a human translator to do a good job.
I would NEVER rely on a machine to do a (difficult) translation!

I fully agree with Sara Massons: "it is just a giant algorithm that compiles a tremendous amount of data available in the Internet..." which implicitly means that, if a text, an idea, isn't available in the internet, the best AI can't give you the information.

Here is the answer of ChatGMP by the way:

"No, translators are not an endangered species. In fact, with the rise of globalization and international communication, the need for professional translators is greater than ever. While machine translation technology has advanced significantly in recent years, it still cannot fully replace human translators, especially in areas where cultural nuances and idiomatic expressions are important.

Moreover, many industries require accurate translations for legal, medical, technical, and scientific documents, which require a deep understanding of the subject matter and terminology that can only be provided by professional human translators. Additionally, businesses and individuals often require translations of marketing materials, websites, and other content to reach a global audience, which requires careful attention to cultural differences and local customs.

Overall, while technology has certainly impacted the translation industry, it has not made human translators obsolete, and there will continue to be a demand for their services for the foreseeable future."

[Modifié le 2023-04-05 12:56 GMT]
Collapse

Godfrey Herman

Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
Translations skills and (political) opinions Apr 5, 2023

Polically correct insights fed by mainstream media and Translation/language skills haven't got anything to do with each other!

David GAY wrote: True, but the same goes for many human beings, whose thought is just a compilation of politically correct insights fed by mainstream media

Sara Massons wrote:

Chat GPT, as any AI of nowadays, is not really "intelligent": it is just a giant algorithm that compiles a tremendous amount of data available on the Internet
... See more
Polically correct insights fed by mainstream media and Translation/language skills haven't got anything to do with each other!

David GAY wrote: True, but the same goes for many human beings, whose thought is just a compilation of politically correct insights fed by mainstream media

Sara Massons wrote:

Chat GPT, as any AI of nowadays, is not really "intelligent": it is just a giant algorithm that compiles a tremendous amount of data available on the Internet and has been sufficiently trained to be able to produce understandable human language. As such, when asked this type of question, it just search all related content on the Internet and make a synthesis (which, from a technical point of view, is quite a performance). Chat GPT's "opinion" is just a rather balanced synthesis of the opinions of the trillions of people (us included) who produce content on the Internet.

That said, I'm glad to read that enough people who publish content on the web are convinced of the quality of our work to take the AI to this conclusion. [/quote]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Or Apr 5, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

David GAY wrote:

Or, indeed, a compilation of bigoted disinformation fed by alternative media.

A compilation of indoctrinations they received in their families, at schools, etc. We could go on forever.

This comparison doesn't make any sense, as human beings receive this information viscerally. GTP does not have a gut, heart or pulse. A huge difference. But it won't matter to the market that already decided translators should be paid less because of the new robots, and a lot of translators accepted it.

[Edited at 2023-04-05 13:28 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ChatGPT : Are translators an endangered species ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »