I use a Mac. Need to use Trados or Memoq asap. What shall I do?
Thread poster: Micaela Pineyro
Micaela Pineyro
Micaela Pineyro
Argentina
Local time: 23:12
Member (Jan 2024)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2022

Agencies in my country require specially Trados and Memoq but I have a Mac and none of them are compatible with MAC. which is unbelievable for me.
Any solution that really works?

Andrew Hawkins
Andrew Hawkins  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:12
Japanese to English
Virtual machine Feb 19, 2022

Hi Micaela,

Most people deal with Windows programs on Macs by installing Windows in a virtual machine. Unfortunately, this requires purchasing a Windows license in addition to paying for virtualization software. There is free virtualization software out there such as VirtualBox, but it's not the most fully featured and won't run on newer Macs. The most popular software seems to be VirtualBox, but it's not the most fully featured and won't run on newer Macs. The most popular software seems to be Parallels, which is the most fully featured and up-to-date, but it is not free.

Hope this helps,

-Andrew
Collapse

achisholm

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:12
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
If it's urgent, ... Feb 19, 2022

...you can install Parallels Desktop with 15-day trial period, then install Windows 11 without activation (to be activated later on), on which you can install Trados or MemoQ on a trial basis again (30 days for Trados, and I don't know how long for MemoQ). You can arrange the licenses and activations when you're done with the project you have at hand.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:12
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
CATs on Macs Feb 19, 2022

Micaela Pineyro wrote:

Agencies in my country require specially Trados and Memoq but I have a Mac and none of them are compatible with MAC. which is unbelievable for me.

Forget about agencies, get Cafetran, it runs Trados and MemoQ files as well as many other file types.
You don't have to do what agencies say, just deliver the file format they want.
Or get Parallels for Mac and a Windows licence.

[Edited at 2022-02-19 17:06 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Hans Lenting
Tom in London
Elena Kharlamova
Charlotte Englund
Georgi Kovachev
Sara Pivato

Micaela Pineyro
Micaela Pineyro
Argentina
Local time: 23:12
Member (Jan 2024)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tks! Feb 19, 2022

Thanks a lot to the three of you.

The info has been extremely useful!

Thank yoU!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Online projects Feb 20, 2022

memoQ and Trados are only required when you have to translate online projects. Do you have to?

If not, get CafeTran. Install it and select the Mac theme:

https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/355364-tip_how_to_get_a_windows_macos_linux_look.html

Tom in London
Sara Pivato
Muses Inc

Charlotte Englund
Charlotte Englund  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:12
Member (2022)
English to Swedish
+ ...
I had a job due yesterday with Trados, but I use Mac too. Feb 22, 2022

Micaela Pineyro wrote:

I have a similar situation on hand. I had a job due on Trados yesterday. I tried downloading it to my Mac, only to get the information that it was not possible. I find this very annoying as Mac is so much easier to use.

Then I tried my old Compaq device with Windows 7, which was also a no go. I repeated the process on my mum's Toshiba, with Windows 10, also a no go.

I called my cousin, whom is a computer engineer and can usually find a solution to ANY problem, also with no luck. The stress level is rising as the deadline for the job, was almost up.
I call my brother as a last resort, and finally with an old Toshiba with a Windows 8+, he was able to download the Trados SDL trial version !!!
So late last night, my hubby and I drove over, so I could finish the job from his laptop.

Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to share this, just to let you know that you're not alone.
Now I finally understand, when seeing our fellow co-workers office pictures on Instagram, with two computers set up!

Take care

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:12
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Do it by the books Feb 23, 2022

Charlotte Englund wrote:

I have a similar situation on hand. I had a job due on Trados yesterday. I tried downloading it to my Mac, only to get the information that it was not possible. I find this very annoying as Mac is so much easier to use.

Then I tried my old Compaq device with Windows 7, which was also a no go. I repeated the process on my mum's Toshiba, with Windows 10, also a no go.

I called my cousin, whom is a computer engineer and can usually find a solution to ANY problem, also with no luck. The stress level is rising as the deadline for the job, was almost up.
I call my brother as a last resort, and finally with an old Toshiba with a Windows 8+, he was able to download the Trados SDL trial version !!!
So late last night, my hubby and I drove over, so I could finish the job from his laptop.

Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to share this, just to let you know that you're not alone.
Now I finally understand, when seeing our fellow co-workers office pictures on Instagram, with two computers set up!

Take care

Well, I have two computers, both are Macs and on both computers I work happily and proficously with Wordfast Pro and Cafetran on the Mac OS side and with MemoQ, Studio 2021, DVX on the Windows side. Never even the slightest problem. I read your message again, but cannot see you talking about Parallels or VMWare Fusion to virtualize a Windows environment. As long as you hope running any of the Windows tools on a Mac OS, you're lost for sure. So get Parallels, a Windows licence, install and you'll be a happy Studio or MemoQ (or both) user. Or, as already said, get Cafetran and work happily on any sort of files.
Mind you, I'm talking Intel Macs here, not M1 Macs.

Sara Pivato

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I use a Mac. Need to use Trados or Memoq asap. What shall I do?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »