Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:37
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 26, 2023

I have been spammed for years with mails from applicants for a job as a translator. All the mails were @gmail adresses.
As an e-mail client I had Airmail installed for years (among others).
Recently I did not update my Airmail client and removed it from my system.
I have not been receiving spam from job applicants since I removed Airmail.
I'm getting much less spam than before.
A coincidence?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Wolfgang Mar 9

I was about to post a thread about spam when I saw yours. I haven’t changed anything about my Gmail and yet I’m receiving much less junk mail than before. Just one or two per day instead of a constant flow. Did spammers (and scammers for that matter) come to their senses?

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
new rules Mar 9

In February, Google has introduced more restrictive rules for senders who send more than 5,000 emails a day to Gmail addresses, so maybe this is having an effect?

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure... Mar 9

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I was about to post a thread about spam when I saw yours. I haven’t changed anything about my Gmail and yet I’m receiving much less junk mail than before. Just one or two per day instead of a constant flow. Did spammers (and scammers for that matter) come to their senses?

...that spammers have come to their senses, and scammers certainly not as long as there are people falling for them.
In my message I accused Airmail (a softmail dedicated to gmail users) to be the culprit and AAMOF, as soon as I dismissed the application I had no more spams (often they were more than 10 per day, mostly first thing in the morning), but I reinstalled Airmail about 10 days ago and I'm not getting spam from gmails so maybe I was wrong and hope you are right!

Muhammad Nejati
Muhammad Nejati
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Spammers Mar 10

All in all, it seems to me that spammers are more interested in specific types of software, the same thing happened to me trying some social media more often than others whose junk mails abounded at times, so here the same thing might apply to airmail. You might talk get some advice from the designer or read about such glitches online from authoritative sources.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gmail spam

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »