An invitation to all California medical interpreters; opportunity to participate in a research study
Thread poster: brissam
brissam
brissam
English to Spanish
May 10, 2005

Dear interpreters:

My name is Brissa Martin, and I am a genetic counseling intern in the University of California, Irvine. As part of my Master’s thesis project, I am conducting research on the importance of using professional interpreters for genetic counseling sessions in which the clients have limited English proficiency. I would like to ask for your help in contributing your experiences, opinions, and feelings about interpreting for genetic counselors.

I have wor
... See more
Dear interpreters:

My name is Brissa Martin, and I am a genetic counseling intern in the University of California, Irvine. As part of my Master’s thesis project, I am conducting research on the importance of using professional interpreters for genetic counseling sessions in which the clients have limited English proficiency. I would like to ask for your help in contributing your experiences, opinions, and feelings about interpreting for genetic counselors.

I have worked as a professional English/ Spanish interpreter in Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC) for the past 6 years; it was my experience interpreting for genetic counselors that got me interested in this topic. Inherent in communicating about genetics are a number of barriers that can interfere with a client’s understanding of the genetic information. By its very nature, genetics information is often complex and highly technical. Individuals and families dealing with genetic disease must assimilate large amounts of new information that is always complicated and abstract. This project intends to evaluate if professional health care interpreters feel that they have the appropriate knowledge, language and interpreting skills to deal with a genetic counseling session and if there are any specific areas of the counselor-interpreter-client interaction that need to be evaluated in order to improve communication.

I would like to invite you to participate in this research by taking part in a 20-30 minute telephone interview. Your answers will be completely anonymous and confidential. Information such as name or place of employment will not be asked during the interview.

If you would like to participate in this study, please contact Brissa Martin at 714-456-5837 or via
e-mail at [email protected] to set up a time for an interview. I have attached the official study summary information sheet from the University of California, Irvine, with this posting. Thank you very much for your help with this important project.

University of California, Irvine Study Information Sheet For

HELPING GENETIC COUNSELORS COMMUNICATE WITH CULTURALLY AND LINGUISTICALLY DIVERSE CLIENTS: THE INTERPRETER’S EXPERIENCE

LEAD RESEARCHER: BRISSA MARTIN, (714) 456-5837, [email protected]

FACULTY SPONSOR: ANN P. WALKER, 714-456-5789, [email protected]

UCI MEDICAL CENTER DEPARTMENT OF PEDIATRICS/DIVISION OF HUMAN GENETICS

• You are being asked to participate in a research study about the use professional health care interpreters by genetic counselors. This project intends to evaluate if professional health care interpreters feel that they have the appropriate knowledge, language and interpreting skills to deal with a genetic counseling session and if there are any specific areas of the counselor-interpreter-client interaction that need to be evaluated in order to improve communication.

• The research procedures involve taking part in a 20-30 minute telephone interview at a time that will be convenient for you. The interview will be tape recorded and transcribed.

• The only foreseeable discomforts associated with the study is the invasion of your Privacy and the 20-30 minute time commitment. There are no direct benefits from participation in the study. However, this study can help us improve communication between clients with limited English proficiency and genetic counselors.

• Participation in this study is voluntary. There is no cost to you for participating. You may refuse to participate or discontinue your involvement at any time without penalty. You may choose to skip a question or a study procedure.

• You will receive a $5.00 Starbucks gift certificate upon completion of the study as a token of our appreciation for participating in this research.

• All research data collected will be stored securely and confidentially in a locked drawer in the lead researchers desk in the UCI Medical Center department of Pediatrics. The audio tapes and written transcripts obtained from the interviews will be destroyed and discarded after all the data is analyzed and the results of the research are published or presented.

• If you have any comments or questions regarding the conduct of this research or your rights as a research participant, you may contact the University of California, Irvine, Office of Research Administration by phone at (949) 824-6662.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An invitation to all California medical interpreters; opportunity to participate in a research study

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »