Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Szwajcaria
Local time: 07:50
angielski > arabski
+ ...
Dec 5, 2005

Dear friends,

I know this question about interpreting rates has been asked many times before but I really can't find anything regarding the rates in the Middle east. I was contacted today by an Italian person asking me if I am available for an interpreting task here in Jordan. To say the truth, this will be the first time for me, all the translation I have done so far is written. The task is going to be interpreting (from Italian into Arabic)for an Italian lecturer who is going to s
... See more
Dear friends,

I know this question about interpreting rates has been asked many times before but I really can't find anything regarding the rates in the Middle east. I was contacted today by an Italian person asking me if I am available for an interpreting task here in Jordan. To say the truth, this will be the first time for me, all the translation I have done so far is written. The task is going to be interpreting (from Italian into Arabic)for an Italian lecturer who is going to speak about water and soil analysis systems, they told me that they will provide with a list of all the terms that are going to be used in the course, plus they will get me a personal driver. The course will last upto one week. I really have no idea about the rate that I should ask. Thank you very much for your help and have a nice day.

Kind regards,
Ziad

[Edited at 2005-12-05 12:18]
Collapse

Mueen Issa
Mueen Issa  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:50
angielski > arabski
+ ...
Hello Ziad Dec 5, 2005

rates in general depends on many aspects:
1- The number of hours/days for the job: If you are supposed to do a couple of hours only, you should maybe ask for half a day rate, or if this is a long term one, then this is another issue.

2- The Language pair you are dealing with. I can only speak of Eng-Ara pairs, and I know there are a lot of interpreting jobs out there in Jordan and the Middle east for this pair.

3- Your experience and capability of doing the job. I
... See more
rates in general depends on many aspects:
1- The number of hours/days for the job: If you are supposed to do a couple of hours only, you should maybe ask for half a day rate, or if this is a long term one, then this is another issue.

2- The Language pair you are dealing with. I can only speak of Eng-Ara pairs, and I know there are a lot of interpreting jobs out there in Jordan and the Middle east for this pair.

3- Your experience and capability of doing the job. If you have an acceptable experience in interpreting powered maybe by a certificate, then you may ask for a handsome amount. But if you were not experienced, and you just want to try this thing out, then you should accept the minimum.

4- The market prices in general: The market is skyrocketing now. jordan is the backyard for so many conferences, workshops and seminars, trainings and other events that need interpreting, and it is worth going through this experience, only if you think you have the minimum requirements of this field.

You should have some background material on the subject that will be talked about, like any written material to get your self familiarized with the terminology they will use.

Back to prices, I know for a fact that you can ask high rates and you will be contacted.
Collapse

Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Szwajcaria
Local time: 07:50
angielski > arabski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
thanks Dec 5, 2005

Thanks a lot Mueen for your response, it was really helpful. The job as I said before is from Italian>Arabic and maybe vice versa as well and it will last for 7 days. I have already sent them my quote and I hope it wont be very low nor very high. Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting rates in the Middle east

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »