Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:43
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dec 29, 2010

Thanks to Beatriz Ramírez de Haro for flagging this up.
I feel that perhaps, given the many threads ongoing, site staff could have flagged this up in them - not everyone lands on the home page.
Although appreciating the opportunity, timing is not the best with many people elsewhere. Even I took some time out from banging my head against brick walls.
Could you tell us please how long these surveys will be up for?

Diolch

Suzi

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:43
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Kudoz surveys on home page Dec 30, 2010

Good idea to bring this up in a separate thread, Susanna.

I never use the Proz home page, and only happened to read about the Kudoz Surveys on other threads here.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very rarely use the home page Dec 30, 2010

Thanks for pointing this out! There are a number of important issues mentioned in the survey and it feels very relevant indeed.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Bump Dec 30, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I never use the Proz home page, and only happened to read about the Kudoz Surveys on other threads here.

As a matter of interest, then, how do you connect to proz - what page do you hit first when you decide to visit? Purely out of interest. And it might help people (staff?) understand how others use the place. It never occurred to me until recently that people might not go to the homepage first...(in fact, you say you never go there - what technique do you use to navigate?)
I'm just curious and it is a bit off-topic, I guess, although as I say, it could help the site in arranging future stuff of this nature....

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Off topic - site navigation Dec 30, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

As a matter of interest, then, how do you connect to proz - what page do you hit first when you decide to visit? Purely out of interest. And it might help people (staff?) understand how others use the place. It never occurred to me until recently that people might not go to the homepage first...(in fact, you say you never go there - what technique do you use to navigate?)
I'm just curious and it is a bit off-topic, I guess, although as I say, it could help the site in arranging future stuff of this nature....

I have the "Most recent posts" page open on my browser. When I boot up and open Firefox it refreshes automatically, so I can see what's been going on overnight, and I can connect to anything else I want from there anyway. I only ever visit the home page if something of interest is flagged up in the forums - such as these surveys.

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Italian to English
kudos!! Dec 30, 2010

Kudos to the site staff for opening the two KudoZ surveys posted on the Home Page to non-paying members.

Sarah

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Proz is on my favourites bar Dec 30, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

As a matter of interest, then, how do you connect to proz - what page do you hit first when you decide to visit?

Like Marie-Helene, I have the recent posts page in my favourites bar, and email notifications of Kudoz activated in my inbox. Yes, I must admit, I spend too much time here

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Thanks, I see Dec 30, 2010

Had never thought of that approach. I'm not bothered about the jobs and kudoz raises the temperature of my urine to dangerously high levels, so it might be worth looking at...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Most recent topics" Dec 30, 2010

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
I have the "Most recent posts" page open on my browser.

I have that page as one of the links in my favourites toolbar in Chrome.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 01:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quick polls Dec 30, 2010

Does that mean that many of you miss out on the daily "quick polls"? That's my main reason for coming to the home page. I usually click on an interesting KudoZ question that I receive via email; after reading it (and perhaps answering/commenting), I click on the Home tab, where I answer the quick poll and check out the forums.

Jane

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
quick polls Dec 30, 2010

JaneTranslates wrote:

Does that mean that many of you miss out on the daily "quick polls"? That's my main reason for coming to the home page. I usually click on an interesting KudoZ question that I receive via email; after reading it (and perhaps answering/commenting), I click on the Home tab, where I answer the quick poll and check out the forums.

I also go to the home page for quick polls. I do it every day, even when I am busybusybusy. I've recently found out that they even give 5 browniz for every quick poll answer.

As about the proz page I open first, I think I access the link of a kudoZ question that seems interesting or I start writing "pr..." in my browser (Chrome) and it opens the home page or a recently visited page.

Veronica

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I go to Recent topics or KudoZ Dec 31, 2010

I hardly ever open the home page, and only participated a couple of times in the surveys.
I get notification on relevant job advertisments and the surveys did not tempt me.
Any reason why I should visit it?

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
home page Dec 31, 2010

juvera wrote:

Any reason why I should visit it?

Well I use to access translation news there; I check the status of some interesting jobs; I check the proz.com exchange requests and sometimes I take a look at the profile of the featured proZ.com (corporate) member. Also I use home page to change the site's language (I change it quite often Is there any other way to do this?

Happy New Year to everybody!

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:43
SITE STAFF
Survey results Jan 14, 2011

Hello all,

I've just posted some of the survey results related specifically to the issue of context at http://www.proz.com/post/1663198#1663198

I have posted info on the general results of both of the term help system surveys that were run in the Translator T.O.

Jared

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Me too Jan 14, 2011

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

As a matter of interest, then, how do you connect to proz - what page do you hit first when you decide to visit?

I have the "Most recent posts" page open on my browser. When I boot up and open Firefox it refreshes automatically, so I can see what's been going on overnight, and I can connect to anything else I want from there anyway. I only ever visit the home page if something of interest is flagged up in the forums - such as these surveys.

I never go to the start page, as I usually leave Kudoz, Terminology search and Forums (most recent posts) open in my browser - just for convenience if ever I wish to look at them.

[Edited at 2011-01-14 22:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz Survey - please participate

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »