Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2 3] >
What to do if you believe the wrong alternative is selected in KudoZ?
Autor de la hebra: ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turquía
Local time: 23:36
Miembro 2007
turco al inglés
+ ...
Apr 12, 2011

I recently faced this scenario in KudoZ. One of the alternatives was mine, and I had every reason to believe that it was the right one. I was so sure about it. However, another alternative was picked up by the asker. What shall I do? What would you do? One option is just to ignore the situation, which is what I am currently doing. Are there others?

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:36
italiano al inglés
+ ...
Nothing you can do Apr 12, 2011

Just ignore it. It probably won't be the last time it happens, but it's the asker's prerogative to choose the answer he or she considers most helpful (note that right or wrong doesn't come into it as far as the Kudoz system is concerned!)

Just forget about it, there's nothing else you can do.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
España
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
Why did the chicken cross the road? Apr 12, 2011

Because it wanted to. There is little else you can do. Forget about it, and go on with your life.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
francés al inglés
+ ...
Agree with colleagues-just forget about it Apr 12, 2011

Askers are sacred. They rule on Kudoz. It used to be possible to post comments on closed questions such as: the wrong answer has been chosen or the wrong answer is in the glossary, but making those comments now is deemed a criminal offence.
So, as colleagues say, just forget about it and move on.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2006
neerlandés al alemán
+ ...
Agree - ignore (and filter) Apr 12, 2011

I agree with the colleagues: You should just ignore it. Also, in extreme and/or repeated cases, I usually filter the asker, so I don't waste more time in the future.

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordania
árabe al inglés
+ ...
Explain more Apr 12, 2011

You cannot "force" an asker to choose the correct response, but there are other things you can do to make your answer more likely to be selected (if it is, indeed, the "right" answer):

1. Make sure your answer contains a thorough explanation that is convincing enough to the asker. It may not always be enough just to post a link or what looks like your personal opinion. You should somehow "prove" that your answer is correct through references.

2. Disagree with the answer
... See more
You cannot "force" an asker to choose the correct response, but there are other things you can do to make your answer more likely to be selected (if it is, indeed, the "right" answer):

1. Make sure your answer contains a thorough explanation that is convincing enough to the asker. It may not always be enough just to post a link or what looks like your personal opinion. You should somehow "prove" that your answer is correct through references.

2. Disagree with the answers you believe are wrong, and explain why you are disagreeing.

3. Post a discussion entry when applicable.

The above steps should be sufficient. But if the asker still chooses the "wrong" answer, I would not worry about it.
Collapse

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 14:36
inglés al español
+ ...
Disagree and move on with your life Apr 12, 2011

You can't say "the asker chose the wrong option", but you can disagree, and you can explain why, (on current and archived questions).

Then, forget it and move on.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turquía
Local time: 23:36
Miembro 2007
turco al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks! Apr 12, 2011

Thank you all. I will go along with your valuable suggestions.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Miembro 2003
danés al inglés
+ ...
Please disagree or discuss if you have more to add Apr 12, 2011

People do not always like it when KudoZ is called a game, but it is a sort of professional game or practice area, not quite as serious as work. Well, that applies to answerers at least.
(Even though the answers given in KudoZ may become part of someone's work later.)
One of the rules is, as Writeaway says, that the Asker's decision is sacred, or not up for discussion, and that is that.

Often the explanations given with the answers are enough for future users to see that
... See more
People do not always like it when KudoZ is called a game, but it is a sort of professional game or practice area, not quite as serious as work. Well, that applies to answerers at least.
(Even though the answers given in KudoZ may become part of someone's work later.)
One of the rules is, as Writeaway says, that the Asker's decision is sacred, or not up for discussion, and that is that.

Often the explanations given with the answers are enough for future users to see that the wrong answer was chosen. It is always possible to see ALL the answers, besides the one that was given points. These are often useful on later occasions, so your answer will still benefit others.

However, if you think further explanation is necessary, you are welcome to add it.

Better luck next time!

[Edited at 2011-04-12 19:09 GMT]
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
Francia
inglés al francés
Another option Apr 12, 2011

If the asker made a glossary entry, you can click on "contribute to this entry" to the right of both terms, and explain why you disagree with the translation chosen.

Stéphanie

[Edited at 2011-04-12 13:34 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2006
neerlandés al alemán
+ ...
contributions to the glossary Apr 12, 2011

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

If the asker made a glossary entry, you can click on "contribute to this entry" to the right of both terms, and explain why you disagree with the translation chosen.

Stéphanie

Yes, but as far as I know, these contributions will never be shown anywhere. Or has this behaviour changed recently?

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
Francia
inglés al francés
About the "contribute to this entry" option Apr 12, 2011

efreitag wrote:

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

Stéphanie

Yes, but as far as I know, these contributions will never be shown anywhere. Or has this behaviour changed recently?

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that, but you're right, I've just did the test of contributing to an entry and my comment doesn't appear anywhere. BTW this issue was discussed here: http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/134153-kudoz_contribute_to_this_entry_whats_the_use.html

Stéphanie

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Alemania
alemán al inglés
+ ...
In Memoriam
Making KOG entries more visible Apr 12, 2011

As Writeaway pointed out and aside from simply disagreeing with the suggestion chosen, there is really not much one can do about it, except to make a contribution to the KOG-entry (if it is entered into KOG).

Contributing to a KOG-entry obviously cannot change the asker's choice, but it may put those who later find these terms on alert, especially if changes are made to make such contributions more visible.

I, too, have recently posted about this:

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

Currently, and as far as I can tell, the only way to see the contributions made to KOG entries or whether they have been made at all is to click on "Contribute to this entry" on the page of the KudoZ question itself.

When I search the KudoZ open glossary entries, I can see that contributions have been made (although I have to click on "Add comment" to see what comments were made).

See http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/194081-making_contributions_to_kog_entries_more_visible.html

Here's to hoping these changes get implemented soon!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 14:36
inglés al español
+ ...
In Memoriam
Send a Message Apr 12, 2011

If an asker chooses another's answer over mine, no problem. But if an asker chooses an answer that is flat wrong, whether or not I have answered the question, I will send that person a message explaining why the answer is wrong, hoping that it can be corrected before the translation is delivered. It is something I have done only very seldom, but the asker's usual response is positive, thanking me for catching the error in time.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 13:36
Miembro 2002
húngaro al inglés
+ ...

MODERADOR
someone's loss, someone's gain Apr 12, 2011

I whole-heartedly agree with Christine's every statement, thank you for your valuable input!

Christine Andersen wrote:

People do not always like it when KudoZ is called a game, but it is a sort of professional game or practice area, not quite as serious as work.

Often the explanations given with the answers are enough for future users to see that the wrong answer was chosen. It is always possible to see ALL the answers, besides the one that was given points. These are often useful on later occasions, so your answer will still benefit others.

However, if you think further explanation is necessary, you are weldome to add it.

Better luck next time!

Well put! I would like to reflect on the two observations that I believe really stand out:
1) ...the answers given in KudoZ may become part of someone's work later. - The very reason I get upset sometimes when incorrect, or even sub-standard, translations are chosen and saved in the glossary. In these 'blind-leading-the-blind' scenarios, these users contribute to the spreading of 'global misunderstandings' (the exact opposite of our purpose as professional translators).
2) It is always possible to see ALL the answers, besides the one that was given points. These are often useful on later occasions, so your answer will still benefit others. - I think this is what really keeps many of us going, despite our occasional disappointments. The KudoZ system in general is still an extremely valuable resource and a very constructive tool (if used appropriately).

My suggestion, besides 'disagree and move on' is: take what you like, and leave the rest!

Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do if you believe the wrong alternative is selected in KudoZ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »