Thread poster: swisstell
swisstell
swisstell
Italy
Local time: 13:41
German to English
+ ...
Dec 28, 2007

a friend asked me for an Egg Nog recipe and I recommended that he consult Google. He found a real treasure, to wit:
"Basic vielseitig Nog / 6 getrennt / 1 Tasse Zucker / 1 1/2 Quarz dicken Creme, 1 1/4 Becher Whiskey, Weinbrand oder Rum / Bindestrich von Zimt oder Muskat / Beat Eigelb und Zucker zusammen, bis sie sinnlose (oder Zitrone - farbig). Flächenstilllegung, während Sie schlagen des Ei-Weißen steif, gefolgt von einigen hart geprügelt Creme. Kipper und all dies in den Bügel zus
... See more
a friend asked me for an Egg Nog recipe and I recommended that he consult Google. He found a real treasure, to wit:
"Basic vielseitig Nog / 6 getrennt / 1 Tasse Zucker / 1 1/2 Quarz dicken Creme, 1 1/4 Becher Whiskey, Weinbrand oder Rum / Bindestrich von Zimt oder Muskat / Beat Eigelb und Zucker zusammen, bis sie sinnlose (oder Zitrone - farbig). Flächenstilllegung, während Sie schlagen des Ei-Weißen steif, gefolgt von einigen hart geprügelt Creme. Kipper und all dies in den Bügel zusammen mit Ihrer Wahl von Alkohol. Dann chillen".

Na dann, Prosit Neujahr an alle ProZmitglieder, mit diesem herrlichen Eierflip....
von einem "heimischen Lautsprecher" (wie sich letzthin ein Kandidat für eine Übersetzung En-Ge bei mir vorstellte!)
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
:-) Dec 28, 2007

Sounds great....

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
hahaha Dec 28, 2007

is this sort of writing the result of egg nog consumption? Great!

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 07:41
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Can you share the joke? Dec 28, 2007

For those of us who are Germanically-challenged...

Nancy

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wish I could Dec 28, 2007

Nancy, sorry but it is really impossible to explain that hilarious translation. Happy New Year nevertheless! (Have an Egg Nog to celebrate and maybe, just maybe, you'll get the essence of it).

Annamaria Arlotta
Annamaria Arlotta  Identity Verified
English to Italian
don't drink and cook! Dec 29, 2007

My German is not good enough to understand the humour, but somehow this story reminds me of an American "recipe" I kept. Not sure if it has circulated here already, but I find it wonderful...Here it is:

Christmas Fruit Cake

Ingredients:
1 cup water 2 cups dried fruit 1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar 1tsp salt 8 oz nuts
4 large eggs 1tsp baking soda juice of 1 lemon
1 bottle of whisky

Method:

Sample whisky to check its qual
... See more
My German is not good enough to understand the humour, but somehow this story reminds me of an American "recipe" I kept. Not sure if it has circulated here already, but I find it wonderful...Here it is:

Christmas Fruit Cake

Ingredients:
1 cup water 2 cups dried fruit 1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar 1tsp salt 8 oz nuts
4 large eggs 1tsp baking soda juice of 1 lemon
1 bottle of whisky

Method:

Sample whisky to check its quality.
Take a large bowl. Re-check the whisky to ensure it is of the highest quality. Pour one level cup and drink.
Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.
Make sure the whisky is still okay and try another tup.
Turn off the mixerer. Break two eggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the dried fruit. Mix on the turner, and if the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the whisky to check for tonisticity.
Next sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find. Then grease the oven and turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.
Don’t forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out the window, check the whisky again and go to bed.
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Do as you are done by ... Dec 29, 2007

NancyLynn wrote:
For those of us who are Germanically-challenged...

It is obviously an MT translation, so I MT'd it back into English:

"BASIC versatile Nog / 6 separated / 1 cup sugar / 1 1/2 quartz of thick cream, 1 1/4 cups of Whiskey, brandy or rum / hyphen of cinnamon or nutmeg / beat yoke and sugar together, till them senseless (or lemon - colored). Taking land out of productive use, while you are beating the egg white stiffly, followed by some hard beaten cream. Tipper and all this into the bow together with your choice of alcohol. Then chill out".

Anyone for hyphen of cinnamon?

As always with MT, some of the flair of the original is lost.
The phrase "Beat Eigelb", for example, looks in German as if it is referring to a musical rhythm ("beat"). and the hard beaten cream in German sounds as if it has been thoroughly duffed up with fists and boots.

Time to take the advice in the last 3 words of the recipe sent by "unadiluna".

[Edited at 2007-12-29 09:58]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
English? piece of cake... Dec 29, 2007

Basic versatile Nog/6 separately/1 cup of sugars/1 1/2 quartz thicken cream, 1 1/4 cup Whiskey, weinbrand or rum/hyphen of zimt or Muskat/Beat eigelb and sugar together, to it senseless (or lemon - colored). Surface quiet putting, during you strike proteins rigidly, followed from some hard flogged cream. Dump truck and all this into the handle as well as your choice of alcohol. Then chillen

Backtranslation by babelfish

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all, Unadiluna, Victor and Vito Dec 29, 2007

You all deserve a triple portion of that concoction! Prosit Neujahr!

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Okay Dec 29, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:
strike proteins rigidly

That made my day!

Nancy

Thanks guyZ

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
You might need a bag of ice (or two) Dec 29, 2007

unadiluna wrote:

Sample the whisky to check for tonisticity.
Next sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

And what kind of hangover do you wake up with then??

Thanks unadiluna, that was an oldie but goodie!

Nancy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"Next sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts" Dec 29, 2007

NancyLynn wrote:And what kind of hangover do you wake up with then??

hard to explain that pain to ... well, let's not get into the sex argument.

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Egg Nog / Eierflip

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »