Agency is overdue with payment. What can I do?
Thread poster: Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert
Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert
Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 11:38
Member (2023)
English to German
Aug 21, 2023

Hi everyone,

this is the first time that this is happening to me. One of the agencies I am working for is overdue with payment (Net 30). It's been two weeks now. They have already been banned by Proz for payment issues. When I started to work for them, I did not know about Proz and for one year their payment was on time.

Upon request, they send me a receipt with proof that the payment had already been approved a month ago and the status is set as completed. However, th
... See more
Hi everyone,

this is the first time that this is happening to me. One of the agencies I am working for is overdue with payment (Net 30). It's been two weeks now. They have already been banned by Proz for payment issues. When I started to work for them, I did not know about Proz and for one year their payment was on time.

Upon request, they send me a receipt with proof that the payment had already been approved a month ago and the status is set as completed. However, the payment team has not yet confirmed the payment.

The headquarter of the company is situated in the UK, but I am being paid by the US branch. I am residing in Switzerland.

What would be the next step? They cannot be banned twice so I am not sure if it is helpful to leave a negtive comment.

Thank you.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:38
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Pia Aug 21, 2023

As you say that for one year their payment was on time, I would wait another week as staff vacations might play a role in the delay. Then, my next step would be sending them a registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt. Anyway, I would leave a negative comment even if they are banned, as the ban decision can be reversed.

Thayenga
Kay Denney

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Blue Board and more Aug 21, 2023

It is always a good idea to file a Blue Board record in such cases.

It gives Proz staff an overview of the outsourcer's behaviour.

It also gives you the option to file a non-payment report after you have filed the Blue Board record. Proz staff use them to decide when to ban and lift the ban, so they need as much information as possible.

It also helps your colleagues to inform them of bad behaviour.

I don't agree with Maria Teresa Borges that we
... See more
It is always a good idea to file a Blue Board record in such cases.

It gives Proz staff an overview of the outsourcer's behaviour.

It also gives you the option to file a non-payment report after you have filed the Blue Board record. Proz staff use them to decide when to ban and lift the ban, so they need as much information as possible.

It also helps your colleagues to inform them of bad behaviour.

I don't agree with Maria Teresa Borges that we should take possible staff holidays into account. Staff holiday is not an excuse for breach of contract, just as we could not use a holiday as an excuse to deliver our work two weeks late. Payments can be programmed in advance in today's banking systems, so if they intend to take a holiday, they can simply program their payments in advance – or simply pay before going on holiday to ensure their obligations are met. What they cannot do is use us as financial buffer for their internal matters.

You can send a recorded letter, and you can also look for ways to contact managers in the company, for example on LinkedIn. Also try to call them, if necessary repeatedly, until they pay. Insistence often pays off. You can also add comments to their social media mentioning their behaviour. Managers' LinkedIn accounts, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Another thing that may help is to inform them that given their breach of contract, you will consider contacting their end clients to inform them that you are still the copyright owner, since the agency hasn't paid for your work. This often works.

In other words, you need to cause so much trouble for them that they prefer to pay just to get rid of you. It's sad, but that's how people are sometimes.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Magnus Rubensson
Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert
Philip Lees
Évariste Willy Noah
Andriy Yasharov
quintanbarne

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Thomas Aug 21, 2023

I suppose Pia is speaking of an agency for whom until March 2023 she had “completed around 100 assignments (…). Payment on time, direct response.” That’s why I suggested she waited another week…

Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Source? Aug 21, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I suppose Pia is speaking of an agency for whom until March 2023 she had “completed around 100 assignments (…). Payment on time, direct response.” That’s why I suggested she waited another week…

Is that from the Blue Board?

Pia hasn't said anything about 100 assignments, so we don't know if it's that one. We also don't know how big or small any assignments were.

Each of us can decide how long we wait before we start chasing bad payers depending on the circumstances, but if a client ignores reminders for no known and acceptable reason, I myself wouldn't wait any further. In the rare cases where a company is having financial problems, it's better to get money out them before they go into administration.

A phone call may still help, as it's more difficult to ignore than an email.

Christel Zipfel

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Thomas Aug 21, 2023

Yes, it’s from the BB. I may have jumped to a conclusion too soon, but she has only one BB entry and by coincidence for a banned agency. I haven’t had a single delayed payment for some time (touch wood!), but in the past I had one or two payment delays in August for the reason I mentioned (from small agencies, which doesn't seem to be the case here).

Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
BB Aug 21, 2023

Well, it's speculation until Pia confirms it, but even a good past client is without interest for the future if it stops paying.

I had to chase up a fairly recent small US translation company client a few months ago for minor amounts. They managed to pay both invoices ever issued to them late, the second using another method than agreed so a fee was deducted, which I then had to chase them up to pay too. The methods I indicated worked. They had a good BB record when I signed up with
... See more
Well, it's speculation until Pia confirms it, but even a good past client is without interest for the future if it stops paying.

I had to chase up a fairly recent small US translation company client a few months ago for minor amounts. They managed to pay both invoices ever issued to them late, the second using another method than agreed so a fee was deducted, which I then had to chase them up to pay too. The methods I indicated worked. They had a good BB record when I signed up with them, and then it suddenly went bad. They seemed to change their accounting manager as frequently as the rest of us change our shirt. The video interview on signing up was carried out by an intern, probably unpaid. It's probably a horrible and messy place to work. The CEO likes to brag about himself online.
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
... Aug 21, 2023

I would base any action on my previous experience with the agency.
If this happened for the first time and rates, jobs and communication with the PMs have been good so far,
I would ask for the reason and be a bit accomodating if it was due to human or technical failure.

I collaborate with an agency that outsourced their accounting some years ago,
which led to very late payments for quite a while. After some time things got sorted out and they are now paying regula
... See more
I would base any action on my previous experience with the agency.
If this happened for the first time and rates, jobs and communication with the PMs have been good so far,
I would ask for the reason and be a bit accomodating if it was due to human or technical failure.

I collaborate with an agency that outsourced their accounting some years ago,
which led to very late payments for quite a while. After some time things got sorted out and they are now paying regularly.
As they are good payers and their projects are interesting, I stuck with them, and it was the right decision.
Collapse

Arne Krueger

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:38
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
... Aug 21, 2023

I think you can make a complaint about a UK company using below site, even if you're a foreigner.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

And this is for the US:

https://www.bbb.org/
... See more
I think you can make a complaint about a UK company using below site, even if you're a foreigner.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

And this is for the US:

https://www.bbb.org/

I hope that helps.
Collapse

Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert
Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2023)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Blueboard and future projects Aug 21, 2023

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Yes, when I made the BB entry I was content with the agency. However, since then they have decreased my rate "we need to stay competitive" and some of the PMs have turned out to be rude and disrespectful treating me like an employee without the benefits, and now they are overdue with payment.

I am currently involved in a project which will last until December, and I am wondering whether I have to put it on hold very soon. The project started befo
... See more
Thanks to everyone for your advice. Yes, when I made the BB entry I was content with the agency. However, since then they have decreased my rate "we need to stay competitive" and some of the PMs have turned out to be rude and disrespectful treating me like an employee without the benefits, and now they are overdue with payment.

I am currently involved in a project which will last until December, and I am wondering whether I have to put it on hold very soon. The project started before the payment issue arouse. Calling may be a good idea. I do not know about debt collection agencies.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:38
Japanese to English
+ ...
Overdue payment Aug 22, 2023

I think you should do this one project that lasts until December. Look for other clients in the meantime and then bow out gracefully with this late-payer. Make the project your swansong. No translator deserves to be treated the way they are treating you.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
It’s only been a fortnight Aug 22, 2023

No need to panic yet. These things happen, as Teresa says. Talk to them.

If that doesn’t help, go down the Thomas/Tom route.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 09:38
Japanese to English
Don't keep working with them. Aug 22, 2023

Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert wrote:

I am currently involved in a project which will last until December, and I am wondering whether I have to put it on hold very soon. The project started before the payment issue arouse. Calling may be a good idea. I do not know about debt collection agencies.

What's the guarantee that you'll be paid for the project that lasts until December? Put it on hold now until you get paid and spend the time looking for other clients.

Thomas T. Frost
Christel Zipfel

Matthieu Ledoré
Matthieu Ledoré
France
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
One of my mentors said... Aug 22, 2023

"As long as they have a payment overdue, I don't deliver anything, and if it happens three times, they're out."
Of course, the feasibility of this principle depends on your personal position. I, for one, don't apply it, as one of my regular clients is consistently late, but ends up paying.
Best of luck!
Matthieu.

quintanbarne
quintanbarne
United States
payment issues with the agency Feb 7

Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert wrote:

Hi everyone,

Upon request, they send me a receipt with proof that the payment had already been approved a month ago and the status is set as completed. However, the payment team has not yet confirmed the payment.

The headquarter of the company is situated in the UK, but I am being paid by the US branch. I am residing in Switzerland.

What would be the next step? They cannot be banned twice so I am not sure if it is helpful to leave a negtive comment.

Thank you.

Hi there,

You could consider reaching out directly to the UK headquarters or the US branch's higher management, explaining the situation and providing the evidence you have received.

As for leaving a comment, while it's understandable that you may be hesitant to leave a negative one, sharing your experience could serve as a cautionary tale for other freelancers. You could express your concerns without necessarily resorting to a negative tone. Honest feedback can be valuable for others navigating similar situations.

Wishing you a swift resolution to your payment matter.

[Edited at 2024-02-07 16:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency is overdue with payment. What can I do?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »