Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
I charge $0.01/w, I have 3 years of experience, how much should I be charging?
Thread poster: Ammar Naif
Ammar Naif
Ammar Naif
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 11:50
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 12

When I first started working as a freelance translator for En-Ar back in 2021, I did a translation test by a LSP then they told me they would be willing to pay $0.01/w, which to me sounded great back then, and I've been charging the same amount for the past 3 years, I was scared to increase the rate and lose my current customers, so to me $0.01/w was better than $0, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to survive on this rate, and I've been struggling financially lately and struggling to fin... See more
When I first started working as a freelance translator for En-Ar back in 2021, I did a translation test by a LSP then they told me they would be willing to pay $0.01/w, which to me sounded great back then, and I've been charging the same amount for the past 3 years, I was scared to increase the rate and lose my current customers, so to me $0.01/w was better than $0, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to survive on this rate, and I've been struggling financially lately and struggling to find clients in general.

I recently increased it to $0.02/w, but I'm not getting any clients, so I'm considering lowering it back to $0.01/w

I feel like I'm undercharging for my services, but I could be wrong, so I want to ask for your opinion; I want to increase my rate, but I don't want to increase it too much that I can't find any clients at all, so I want your suggestion as to what I should charge based on my experience:
My name is Ammar, I'm 23, I'm based in Dubai, UAE, and I have 3 years of experience in Technical, Commercial, Medical, Legal and General Translation, experience in localizing software for PC and Mobile, localizing websites, transcribing, subtitling, MTPE, experience in using CAT tools and TMS such as MateCAT, Crowdin, MemoQ, and OmegaT, and subtitling tools like MateSUB and Subtitle Edit, I scored 108/120 in TOEFL back in 2021, which is equivalent to C1 in CEFR, but I'm pretty sure I can get C2 if I redo the test now, I can type 157 WPM in English, and I worked with global customers in the US, UK, UAE, Poland, India, France, Morocco and other countries via Fiverr, WhatsApp and email.

I checked the average rate on ProZ and it's $0.08-$0.10/w, but I don't have a formal translation degree like I assume most of the sample size does, so I'm not sure if I should be charging that much.

Please advise.

[Edited at 2024-01-12 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
. Jan 12

Yes, you are charging far too little for your services. My suggestion is to continue marketing your services at a higher rate and then drop your present clients whenever you are able to replace them.

Ammar Naif
Angie Garbarino
Christine Andersen
Inge Schumacher
Dalia Nour

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:50
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
So... Jan 12

You are a student and study computer science, yet you also do "Technical, Commercial, Medical, Legal" translations...
This sounds like someone doing translations as a side gig, not to be taken very seriously as a translation professional.
If I were you I would concentrate on and offer services in the fields below and raise my rates to, say, $0.05 per source word initially:

Software Localization:
Translate software interfaces, menus, and documentation to make them c
... See more
You are a student and study computer science, yet you also do "Technical, Commercial, Medical, Legal" translations...
This sounds like someone doing translations as a side gig, not to be taken very seriously as a translation professional.
If I were you I would concentrate on and offer services in the fields below and raise my rates to, say, $0.05 per source word initially:

Software Localization:
Translate software interfaces, menus, and documentation to make them culturally and linguistically appropriate for different regions.

Programming Languages and Code Documentation:
Translate programming code, documentation, and comments to facilitate collaboration and understanding among developers worldwide.

Web and Mobile App Localization:
Translate websites, mobile apps, and their content to cater to diverse language-speaking audiences.

IT and Technical Support Documentation:
Translate technical support documents, manuals, and troubleshooting guides for hardware and software products.

User Manuals and Guides:
Provide translation services for user manuals, guides, and technical documentation accompanying various products.

Cybersecurity and Information Security:
Translate documents related to cybersecurity policies, procedures, and best practices to ensure global understanding and compliance.

Data Science and Analytics:
Translate data-related reports, analytics, and data visualization descriptions to make them accessible to a wider audience.

Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence:
Translate documentation, research papers, and articles related to machine learning algorithms, models, and AI technologies.

Network and Systems Administration:
Translate documentation for networking equipment, server configurations, and system administration guides.

Database Management:
Translate content related to database design, administration, and query optimization.

Cloud Computing:
Translate materials on cloud services, deployment strategies, and cloud architecture.

Programming and Development Tools:
Translate content related to popular development tools, integrated development environments (IDEs), and version control systems.

Open Source Projects:
Contribute to the translation of open source project documentation, making them more accessible to a global community.

Game Development and Localization:
Translate scripts, dialogues, and in-game content for video games developed for international audiences.

E-learning and Online Courses:
Provide translation services for e-learning platforms, online courses, and educational content in the field of computer science.
Collapse

Ammar Naif
Inge Schumacher
Dalia Nour

Felix Täumer
Felix Täumer
Germany
Local time: 09:50
English to German
+ ...
Up the price Jan 12

Checking the average prices charged for your language combination can really help honing in on a good price. Don't forget that your price is also an idication for how the quality of your services might be. Therefore, offering low prices might make clients think that what they will receive will be of a poor standard. Standing behind the service you offer with confidence and a higher price will give clients more confidence in your abilities as well. Also, don't forget that by charging low rates yo... See more
Checking the average prices charged for your language combination can really help honing in on a good price. Don't forget that your price is also an idication for how the quality of your services might be. Therefore, offering low prices might make clients think that what they will receive will be of a poor standard. Standing behind the service you offer with confidence and a higher price will give clients more confidence in your abilities as well. Also, don't forget that by charging low rates you will bring down payment clients are willing to pay other translators as well. I hope you found this comment useful, good luck in your future endeavours!Collapse

Ammar Naif
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga
Inge Schumacher
Dalia Nour
Morano El-Kholy
Angus Stewart

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Consequences of getting off on the wrong foot Jan 12

Ammar Naif wrote:
When I first started working as a freelance translator for En-Ar back in 2021, I did a translation test by a LSP then they told me they would be willing to pay $0.01/w, which to me sounded great back then, and I've been charging the same amount for the past 3 years, I was scared to increase the rate and lose my current customers, so to me $0.01/w was better than $0, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to survive on this rate, and I've been struggling financially lately and struggling to find clients in general.

I suspect that when that LSP told you they would be willing to pay you $0.01/w, and you thought it 'sounded great', you failed to grasp the LSP's underlying message, the 'sub-text'.

So what, most probably, was the LSP really telling you? That your test was barely acceptable and your services - as we tend to say here - were (to them at least...) worth 'peanuts'. But, being a profit-hungry agency, they added: "if you'll accept our peanuts, you're just the kind of translator we need".

And now, having been lured into the system, you haven't been able to raise your rate - and are finding it 'difficult to survive'. No surprises there...

Ammar Naif wrote:
I checked the average rate on ProZ and it's $0.08-$0.10/w, but I don't have a formal translation degree like I assume most of the sample size does, so I'm not sure if I should be charging that much.

The 'average rates' on Proz tell you nothing about the formal qualification of other translators, or how degrees (in translation or any other field) impact on rates. There are many colleagues here with walls-full of certificates attesting to their academic achievements - but who are charging rates below the average rates shown on Proz. And there are others - myself included - who never went to university and have never charged less than $0.25/w for their services.
If the average rates shown here are around $0.08/w, it's not because 'most of the sample size have a formal translation degree' - it's because for each one of of us who charges a fair market price for our work, there are one or more others taking one-tenth or our rates - or even less.

Ammar Naif
Anton Konashenok
Becca Resnik
Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga
Inge Schumacher

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Am I the only one… Jan 13

… who is hearing “I’m naive” in a cod Italian accent here?

Baran Keki
Inge Schumacher
Abdikhani Mohamed

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Jan 13

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Yes.

Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Maybe Jan 13

Maybe try $0.005 psw, and see if you get any clients. This is how to works lineary, right, the lower you go the more clients you get?

Baran Keki
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Ammar Naif
Ammar Naif
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 11:50
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 13

Thank you everyone for the great tips, you're right, a low rate indicates low quality; I'll raise my rate to $0.05-$0.1/w, then slowly work from there.

[Edited at 2024-01-13 11:27 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ammar Jan 13

Ammar Naif wrote:
When I first started working as a freelance translator for En-Ar back in 2021, I did a translation test by a LSP then they told me they would be willing to pay $0.01/w...

From what I can tell, Arabic is one of those languages were most translators are getting paid very, very little. There are agencies that pay Arabic translators a more international rate, but you'll have to put in a lot of effort and contact many, many agencies to find such a match.

I was scared to increase the rate and lose my current customers...

Not wanting to raise your rate is a common fear of young translators. But I can assure you that you should be able to get USD 0.05 per word quite easily, if you contact enough agencies and if you deliver good work, and if you market yourself realistically.

I recently increased it to $0.02/w, but I'm not getting any clients, so I'm considering lowering it back to $0.01/w.

The reason why you're not getting any new clients has nothing to do with your rate. How many agencies have you contacted so far? A hundred? Two hundred? Five hundred? Remember, only about 5% of agencies that you contact will end up being clients of yours.

Or, perhaps it does: perhaps agencies do not want to use you because you're charging too little, and they're afraid that you're just a mickey mouse translator. My suggestion is that you start the negotiations at 9c or 10c per word, and then be willing to be "negotiated down" to around 5c per word. This will make the agency feel like they're getting an expensive translator for a very good deal.

I want to increase my rate, but I don't want to increase it too much that I can't find any clients at all...

Keep your rate for your current client(s) at 1c, but find other agencies that are willing to pay 5c or 8c or 10c.

I checked the average rate on ProZ and it's $0.08-$0.10/w, but I don't have a formal translation degree like I assume most of the sample size does...

No, 8c per word is really the average for untrained translators. 1c per word is very, very, very low.

Ammar Naif
Eman Riesh
Inge Schumacher
Dalia Nour
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Anna Sarah Krämer
Karina Ohashi

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Italian? In the Emirates? Jan 13

Where is Italian accent in this post from Emirates? Where is the connection? Can you explain please?

[Edited at 2024-01-13 10:50 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Wolfgang Schoene

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Only me then Jan 13

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Where is Italian accent in this post from Emirates? Where is the connection? Can you explain please?

[Edited at 2024-01-13 10:44 GMT]

The poster’s name could belong on this list:
http://nowthatsnifty.blogspot.com/2010/05/list-of-prank-names.html?m=1

Inge Schumacher

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
As an Italian citizen Jan 13

Angie Garbarino wrote:

[Edited at 2024-01-13 10:44 GMT]

The poster’s name could belong on this list:
http://nowthatsnifty.blogspot.com/2010/05/list-of-prank-names.html?m=1

I can assure you that Ammar is absolutely NOT an Italian name. If there is an AMMAR living in Italy (which is possible), he is an immigrant., just one among the millions of immigrants arrived in Italy, in the las 3 decades.
Please note, no Italian name or surname ends with a consonant, (a part some German surnames in Sudtirol, border with Austria). Also according to this site that name could sound I am naif in ENGLISH, not in ITALIAN which translation is IO SONO INGENUO/NAIF

[Edited at 2024-01-13 11:07 GMT]

Dalia Nour
Wolfgang Schoene

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ammar II Jan 13

You should create a résumé/CV that focuses on your translation business and which mentions only things that translation clients might be interested in. Things that are relevant for people that hire operations managers are not the same things that are relevant for translation clients. If a translation agency sees your current CV, it's no wonder they're offering you 1c per word, because they think you're a factory worker doing translations in the evenings by candle light after your day shift.<... See more
You should create a résumé/CV that focuses on your translation business and which mentions only things that translation clients might be interested in. Things that are relevant for people that hire operations managers are not the same things that are relevant for translation clients. If a translation agency sees your current CV, it's no wonder they're offering you 1c per word, because they think you're a factory worker doing translations in the evenings by candle light after your day shift.

On your résumé, if you have failed in something or did not complete a training course, do not mention it. Only mention the training courses that you have successfully completed. I would say: do not mention the places where you worked, unless it is specifically translation-related or related to your chosen subject-field. I understand that one must provide a complete CV if you apply for a salaried position (not doing so might disqualify you from work, make you lose your status or get you deported), but if you're trying to find translation clients, you should consider your translation CV to be a more a type of brochure, where you highlight all the best things about yourself.

Do not mention your grade scores for certificates: if you achieved a Scientific Baccalaureate certificate, then it doesn't matter to clients whether your grade score was 80% or 60% of 40%. Besides, foreign clients have no idea whether they should be impressed by a score of 57%. The education systems in other countries are all different, and not many clients will know what is a high-school Scientific Baccalaureate certificate exam (it is essentially an ordinary high-school diploma with two or three science subjects).

Don't feel bad if you don't have any education yet -- many translators have no formal training. From an agency's perspective, you have no tertiary education and you're currently studying for a BSc in Computer Science part-time. I suppose you can tell people that you have a "full scholarship", since it is completely true, although you and I both know that that doesn't mean what most people would assume it means.

If you live in Dubai, don't tell people you're from Syria (even if you are). You may not be aware of this, but you'll struggle to find clients in the West if they think you're from Syria. Some countries have laws against working with people from Syria, or they may be vassals of such countries.

On your ProZ.com profile page, you claim to be a native English speaker, but by your own admission, you're only at level C2. You also claim to be a native speaker of TEN distinct variants of Arabic. That is simply not possible, and a client that sees this claim, will know that they cannot trust you. And no-one is a native speaker of FIVE distinct variants of English, trust me.

It is disingenuous to say that you have "three years" of experience in all of the fields that you mention, when in fact you have been a full-time student for the past 3 years and you currently work full-time at an employer. It may be better to say that you "offer services" in those fields, and not that you have experience in those fields. Clients tend to think of "experience" as extensive experience.

[Edited at 2024-01-13 11:33 GMT]
Collapse

Ammar Naif
Dalia Nour
Inge Schumacher
Marie Michelle Sia

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Angie Jan 13

Angie Garbarino wrote:
I can assure you that Ammar is absolutely NOT an Italian name.

Dearest Angie, don't you get it? The joker is making fun of Ammar's surname (Naif > naive). It's very mature. I'm not sure what the Italian connection is, though. This sort of behaviour must be okay because neither Jorge Rodrigues nor Andriy Bublikov nor Rita Pang nor James Heppe-Smith have chosen to do anything about it.

Eman Riesh
Dalia Nour

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I charge $0.01/w, I have 3 years of experience, how much should I be charging?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »