Ongoing projects that never end and never get paid.
Thread poster: Henrique Mariotto
Henrique Mariotto
Henrique Mariotto  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:32
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 1

One of the largest translation companies (if not the largest) owes me quite an amount of money since 2021, but they say that those projects are "ongoing". My bills are also ongoing, but "monthly". We are in 2024 and I have dedicated my time and effort to this 'ongoing project' since 2021. What would you do?

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
Local time: 10:32
German to English
+ ...
3 years? Feb 1

That is crazy. Time for some legalese action.

Henrique Mariotto
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Joe France
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Jorge Payan
philgoddard
Elena Aclasto

Daniel Fernandes
Daniel Fernandes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:32
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
OMG! I would've dropped out long ago. Feb 1

This is so, so wrong, I don't know what to say.

Do they still contact you every month asking you to take a job?
Do they send you POs for every job or task? Or at every end of month?
Is it a job you delivered in 2021 or do you keep work with them?

Although a project never ends, it is made of deliverables. So you should be paid for every job you've delivered.
Whatever they negotiate with their client it's none of your business - you're a professional fre
... See more
This is so, so wrong, I don't know what to say.

Do they still contact you every month asking you to take a job?
Do they send you POs for every job or task? Or at every end of month?
Is it a job you delivered in 2021 or do you keep work with them?

Although a project never ends, it is made of deliverables. So you should be paid for every job you've delivered.
Whatever they negotiate with their client it's none of your business - you're a professional freelancer hired to perform a translation for this agency. You negotiate with the agency.

Hope not but chances are high they are planing not to pay you. And if I were you, I'd contact them at least once a week with the updated amount so they don't forget they owe me money.

Sorry, I wouldn't be that patient.

Henrique Mariotto wrote:

One of the largest translation companies (if not the largest) owes me quite an amount of money since 2021, but they say that those projects are "ongoing". My bills are also ongoing, but "monthly". We are in 2024 and I have dedicated my time and effort to this 'ongoing project' since 2021. What would you do?
Collapse

Henrique Mariotto
Jean Lachaud
Rachel Waddington
Dan Lucas
Pavel Mondschein
Ester Vidal
Angie Garbarino

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
. Feb 1

Henrique Mariotto wrote:

Stop working for this company and seek legal advice.

Are they paying you at all or have you been working for them since 2021 and not seen any money yet?

Dan Lucas
Joe France
Kay Denney
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Inge Schumacher

Bartosz Kurkiewicz
Bartosz Kurkiewicz
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
You're being really patient here. Feb 2

I understand it can feel demeaning to have to ask for the money that's long overdue on your bank account,
but it's high time to practice your best impression of: "Where's my money Lebowsky?"
Sure, you're probably the last one in the payment food chain, but that's no excuse for having to wait years for your money.

Not sure what their gameplan is, but on your end, make sure you have all the relevant materials on hand - the input files, your output files,
all the emai
... See more
I understand it can feel demeaning to have to ask for the money that's long overdue on your bank account,
but it's high time to practice your best impression of: "Where's my money Lebowsky?"
Sure, you're probably the last one in the payment food chain, but that's no excuse for having to wait years for your money.

Not sure what their gameplan is, but on your end, make sure you have all the relevant materials on hand - the input files, your output files,
all the emails and other communication which indicate that they commissioned work from, that you delivered that work, and that it was received by them.
Another thing to double-check is if you have any contracts signed with them and if they stipulate anything about terms of payment.
(even if there are weird terms stipulated there, it still needs to comply with the civil law, that's something to ask a professional)
Also, do you have any sort of breakdown with rates and wordcount for the stuff you have delivered so far?

I've had some payment issues in the past, here's what I'd do in these cases. Take it with a grain of salt, because it's a different country after all.
I'd first ask for them to verify the numbers - wordcount delivered so far and agreed rates. We're just making sure we're on the same page
about the ongoing project, but it also sends a signal that it's time for them to pay up.

If they make no reservations, start talking about actual payment. I believe that's where you are at the moment,
but in order not to jump the gun: you need to communicate the amount you're owed and set a payment date for them.
If they don't meet it, or start dodging the issue again, send them a payment notice via registered mail - this is usually when when hardest cases
caved in and paid up.

If it looks like they're hell bent on not paying, you seek legal advice and take this to court.
Some of my colleagues had to go through this and say it's actually pretty straightforward, all handled through an e-court,
with no lawyers involved (though, again - different country so ymmv) as long as you have the materials I mentioned earlier.

Fingers crossed that you don't need to jump through hoops. I am in no position to give legal advice, but I've written the above
with the intention to tell you that stuff like this happens and it's not a lost cause.
Collapse

Tony Bennjamin
Tony Bennjamin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:32
Member (2013)
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Seek Name on Proz Blueboard Feb 2

Hi, try not hide this name, if possible, to let others know what the company is it to avoid, also, if you can find it in Proz Blueboard, try to give them 1 star, this is to lower their rating, and prevent Proz to allow them to post a similar job.

Keith Jackson
Rachel Waddington
philgoddard
Inge Schumacher
Peter Motte

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:32
Greek to English
Agreement Feb 2

What agreement did you come to with this company when you first started working for them, as regards payment terms and other obligations? If they are in breach of that agreement, then you can take whatever action is necessary.

If, on the other hand, you had no such agreement, then you should rectify that error as soon as possible.

Rachel Waddington

Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Spain
Member (2017)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Scam? Feb 2

Henrique Mariotto wrote:

Are you sure you are actually dealing with a serious company, not a scammer?

Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder
Joe France
Kay Denney
Nadia Silva Castro
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Keith Jackson
Keith Jackson  Identity Verified
France
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
seek legal advice Feb 2

Sometimes a letter from a lawyer suddenly unblocks things.
If they say they can't pay until they are paid, suggest a payment plan. Get it in writing.
Name them (if only for your fellow translators) and try and find out if anyone else is in the same situation. Doing that could help spread any up-front legal costs.
Stop working for them.

Rachel Waddington
Grace Anderson
Inge Schumacher

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Henrique Feb 2

Sorry to hear that! Over the years, I had a few ongoing projects (mostly huge reports and websites), but we agreed from the start that I would be paid in instalments, so as soon as I finished a piece I would invoice, they would pay and I would receive a new piece...

Angie Garbarino
Erwin van Wouw
Rachel Waddington
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 03:32
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Just ask them to update the PO... Feb 2

Just ask them a couple of times to update your PO so that you can issue an invoice.
Did you ever asked them any other time to do that, all these years?

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not a scammer Feb 2

Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer wrote:

Henrique Mariotto wrote:

Are you sure you are actually dealing with a serious company, not a scammer?

A scammer won't scam someone continuously for 3 years.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 08:32
Japanese to English
Time to get serious Feb 2

jyuan_us wrote:

A scammer won't scam someone continuously for 3 years.

Why not? It's the gift that keeps on giving.

To Henrique: Time to total all the invoices and stand firm until you are paid. If the company is one of the major players, they're making millions of dollars a month and can certainly afford to pay you.

"But what if I lose the client?"

You're not being paid anyway, so you have nothing to lose but your chains.

Lieven Malaise
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Rachel Waddington
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Frank van Overveld
Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
illegal Feb 3

It's illegal to not pay for so long.

But it's also quite irresponsible to allow it.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Philip Lees
Zea_Mays

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ongoing projects that never end and never get paid.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »