Thread poster: Clément Marquet
Renate Radziwill-Rall
Renate Radziwill-Rall  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:10
French to German
+ ...
shopping for rates Feb 19

Anyway, prospects / new clients start the conversation with « What rate do you apply nowadays in Covid times ? » If you indicate a rate, you can be sure, it is the last of what you will hear from them. They start shopping around based on your rate and always find someone asking for less and so on. Experience, knowledge, quality have no value anymore.

Christopher Schröder

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 03:10
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
It's above that Feb 19

patransword wrote: When I worked as a PM, we passed this discount on the final client.
Also, I know that many agencies simply get the text from the translator and then pass it on the final client. In that case, this would be 100% markup or more.

And you know very well as a former PM that the largest agencies do not pass this discount to their clients, and that their markup (expressed in their own PM platforms as an X.XX number) is from 150% (1.50) to... the sky is the limit. I have screenshots where this is from 340% to even one case of 477% (4.77), and I have negotiated contracts at 200% many times. How this is achieved, is through the so-called premium/package services: while the translator may still be paid about half, the proofreader and the QM are paid only 10-20% of what the client pays for these particular services.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates with LSPs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »