Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: Do you watch TV and movies in your source language(s) regularly?
Tópico cartaz: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 19:12
japonês para inglês
+ ...
source language Jun 30, 2023

I subscribe to half a dozen streaming services. Mainly I watch dramas from Taiwan, China, Spain, Mexico, Korea, France, Scandinavia, Turkey, Poland and India. There aren't many offerings from Russia on Netflix and the few Japanese offerings bore me. The British offerings are superb (Luther, Broadchurch, Line of Duty, etc.). It is sad that so many dramas from Latin America feature drug trafficking. The offerings from Mainland China are brilliant as they often deal with imperial China and the sets... See more
I subscribe to half a dozen streaming services. Mainly I watch dramas from Taiwan, China, Spain, Mexico, Korea, France, Scandinavia, Turkey, Poland and India. There aren't many offerings from Russia on Netflix and the few Japanese offerings bore me. The British offerings are superb (Luther, Broadchurch, Line of Duty, etc.). It is sad that so many dramas from Latin America feature drug trafficking. The offerings from Mainland China are brilliant as they often deal with imperial China and the sets are dazzling. It is also cool to see people who are originally from Africa, the Middle East and India speaking fluent Icelandic, Finnish and Danish. The Scandinavian offerings are particularly interesting. Scandinavian houses and coffee houses are supercool. It looks like the Turkish dizi and the
K-dramas have conquered the world. In "The Beauty Queen of Jerusalem", the dialog shifts between Yiddish, Hebrew, Ladino and German. "Midnight at the Peras Palace Hotel" gives you a chance to hear Ladino. All the more interesting as I have stayed at the legendary hotel. When you live in a country which is basically an open-air insane asylum and everybody is shooting each other, these dramas are a welcome respite.
Collapse

Liena Vijupe

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Turquia
Local time: 02:12
Membro
inglês para turco
Says the man Jun 30, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

I don’t watch much telly at all

Says the man who's secretly enjoying Love Island.

Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney
Liena Vijupe
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Reino Unido
Membro (2011)
sueco para inglês
+ ...
Busted Jun 30, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

I don’t watch much telly at all

Says the man who's secretly enjoying Love Island.

Literally!

Baran Keki
Liena Vijupe
expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
Membro (2003)
francês para italiano
+ ...
In my knowledge Jun 30, 2023

Alex Lichanow wrote:
And yet, German dubs still count as some of the best in the world, so I am kind of worried about the quality of dubs in other countries...

Don't worry, in my knowledge, Italian, Spanish and French dubs are ok

Tom in London
Tom in London
Reino Unido
Local time: 00:12
Membro (2008)
italiano para inglês
No dubbing Jun 30, 2023

I abhor dubbing and refuse to watch anything that's dubbed. Can you imagine anything more disgusting than (for example) Marlon Brando overdubbed in Italian? And yet Italians think overdubbing is great- they even have famous stars of overdubbing who are national heroes! Yuk!

Last night I searched for something to watch on RAIplay, skipped all the non-Italian films because they're all dubbed, explored a couple of recent Italian movies but rejected both of them after about 5 minutes, t
... See more
I abhor dubbing and refuse to watch anything that's dubbed. Can you imagine anything more disgusting than (for example) Marlon Brando overdubbed in Italian? And yet Italians think overdubbing is great- they even have famous stars of overdubbing who are national heroes! Yuk!

Last night I searched for something to watch on RAIplay, skipped all the non-Italian films because they're all dubbed, explored a couple of recent Italian movies but rejected both of them after about 5 minutes, then found a 2-part docudrama made for television, "Adriano Olivetti", watched the first 10 minutes, decided it was ridiculous cheesy dramatised nonsense, and gave up because I happen to be reading a serious book on the same subject:

Screenshot

[Edited at 2023-06-30 07:47 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Paul Lambert
ipv

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Membro (2015)
inglês para português
+ ...
Dubbing Jun 30, 2023

I don't like it at all. It sounds artificial.
I'm glad I only put up with it in the mid-90s by a certain Portuguese TV channel. I don't even need to mention what was dubbed...

[Edited at 2023-06-30 07:53 GMT]

Tom in London

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Membro (2003)
francês para italiano
+ ...
Dear Tom Jun 30, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
And yet Italians think overdubbing is great- they even have famous stars of overdubbing who are national heroes! Yuk!

Italy has very famous actors, who overdub regularly, Amendola for example (historical dubber of Stallone) was fantastic, i think you knew him in TV

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Membro (2007)
inglês para português
+ ...
Dubbing Jun 30, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

I'm glad I only put up with it in the mid-90s by a certain Portuguese TV channel. I don't even need to mention what was dubbed...

I don't like hearing my favourite actors and actresses with a different voice or, even worse, all with the same voice...

There’s a new phenomenon on a certain Portuguese channel: Spanish dubbed versions of Turkish series…

[Edited at 2023-06-30 08:51 GMT]

expressisverbis
Jaime Oriard
Patricia Prevost

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Alemanha
Membro (2020)
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Dubbing Jun 30, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

To be fair, there are some German dubbing artists that are actually "legendary", e.g. Manfred Lehmann, who has always dubbed Bruce Willis. I must admit, I was rather disappointed when I first heard Willis' actual voice. That said, those "legendary" artists are all aging, some of them even no longer active. The younger ones are completely interchangeable in my opinion.

[Edited at 2023-06-30 09:15 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
inglês para russo
+ ...
I quit Jun 30, 2023

I weaned myself off watching content in English (other than Youtube videos from selected creators who are working to educate rather than entertain). My ex-gf had a Beast List created by a guy I didn't know and containing titles of films every civilized person was supposed to watch. Of course, they weren't all in English, but all in all, we had great fun watching many of them together. I do share many posters' fierce hatred towards anything dubbed. Dubbing voices are something else. I still have ... See more
I weaned myself off watching content in English (other than Youtube videos from selected creators who are working to educate rather than entertain). My ex-gf had a Beast List created by a guy I didn't know and containing titles of films every civilized person was supposed to watch. Of course, they weren't all in English, but all in all, we had great fun watching many of them together. I do share many posters' fierce hatred towards anything dubbed. Dubbing voices are something else. I still have a bunch of cinematic oldies but goldies in English on my computer, and I know that whenever I decide to watch any of them, I'll do so with great pleasure, but somehow this decision doesn't want to come to me. Talking about modern productions, I just decided that they all should go to the bin (even the good ones: I don't claim they all suck). So, I'm totally out of context with anything that's being offered to viewers today. "Americans don't quote books—they quote movies," as our university teacher saidCollapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
Reino Unido
Membro (2008)
italiano para inglês
I rest my case Jun 30, 2023

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
And yet Italians think overdubbing is great- they even have famous stars of overdubbing who are national heroes! Yuk!

Italy has very famous actors, who overdub regularly, Amendola for example (historical dubber of Stallone) was fantastic, i think you knew him in TV

As I was saying.....

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bósnia-Herzegóvina
Membro (2009)
inglês para croata
+ ...
Dubbing is fun Jun 30, 2023

We used to do it at improv classes. One good way to use it is in parodies. We had a lot of fun with it.

For me the most difficult part was lip synching as it limits your creative span.

Aside from the cost factor, as dubbing is more expensive, not sure why some cultures have most movies dubbed while others mostly use subtitles. Need to take into consideration the deaf community as well, as they can benefit from subtitles, but can't from dubs.

Also dubbing
... See more
We used to do it at improv classes. One good way to use it is in parodies. We had a lot of fun with it.

For me the most difficult part was lip synching as it limits your creative span.

Aside from the cost factor, as dubbing is more expensive, not sure why some cultures have most movies dubbed while others mostly use subtitles. Need to take into consideration the deaf community as well, as they can benefit from subtitles, but can't from dubs.

Also dubbing is a must in cartoons, as little kids can't read or read slower. Just imagine the amount of imported cartoons around the world.

[Edited at 2023-06-30 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
italiano para inglês
+ ...
target language Jun 30, 2023

I'm not a fan of Italian TV or cinema, in addition our TV is so old it barely gets used and we don't miss it
As I'm living in Italy I prefer to catch stuff in my target language, English, to keep up with modern usage.
But don't get me started on certain American movies with incomprehensible slang ... in that case even the dubbed Italian version is preferable, at least I understand it!

Angie Garbarino

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Membro (2003)
dinamarquês para inglês
+ ...
Definitely Jun 30, 2023

I am very lucky - I can watch TV in most of the languages I understand in the original form, possibly with subtitles. I wish I could get more Italian with sottotitoli per non udenti. It would really help me learn it! Danish TV broadcasts an Italian classic now and then, but with Danish subtitles. Often the soundtrack is not clear, or the speech goes too fast for me to catch what is said, so it is not much use for learning the language.

By comparison, I enjoy listening to Germ
... See more
I am very lucky - I can watch TV in most of the languages I understand in the original form, possibly with subtitles. I wish I could get more Italian with sottotitoli per non udenti. It would really help me learn it! Danish TV broadcasts an Italian classic now and then, but with Danish subtitles. Often the soundtrack is not clear, or the speech goes too fast for me to catch what is said, so it is not much use for learning the language.

By comparison, I enjoy listening to German in lots of varieties and dialects, but I would not catch half of it without the visual help of subtitles in German. The explanations in more standard German help me make sense of what I hear and I learn something new now and then.

As far as working languages are concerned, I watch the Danish news most days, and usually something more. I watch Vetenskapens värld (the world of science) on Swedish TV when the subject interests me. Scientists from all over the world are interviewed, often in their own languages, with Swedish subtitles, and it is quite a sport to see how many I can understand without help! (I need the subtitles to understand Swedish most of the time, and it is quite a relief to hear English, Danish or German!)

As an ex-pat I have to keep in touch with English, but that is really a matter of finding something worthwhile. Reading is more profitable as a rule.

[Edited at 2023-06-30 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Letônia
Membro (2014)
francês para letão
+ ...
Dubbing Jun 30, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I abhor dubbing and refuse to watch anything that's dubbed. Can you imagine anything more disgusting than (for example) Marlon Brando overdubbed in Italian?

Yes, after hearing Lauren Bacall dubbed in Italian. I never imagined she, of all people, could sound so hysterical, it completely ruined the character...

Tom in London
expressisverbis

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you watch TV and movies in your source language(s) regularly?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »