Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What part of your translator qualifications do you think attracts the most clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 13:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word of Mouth Nov 13, 2007

Sandra Petch wrote:

... though if I could I would have said "doing a good job" as I believe this is what attracts and keeps customers!

I agree with Sandra, Amy, Henry, etc. I got a lot of work this past year from different university departments. The initial phone call or email usually included a mention of someone at the university who told them about the good job I did for them. I have a reputation now for nitpicking accuracy and dogged persistence, which seems to fit well with the clientele I'm developing.

Henry, I may have been mistaken, but I took "references" to mean "clients listed on the resumé." If your interpretation is correct, I should have chosen that instead of "other."

Jerzy and Lorenzo, I think Crystal really wanted answers that prioritized criteria. If she had included "All (or "some") of the above," most people would have chosen that and she wouldn't have gotten the information she wants.

Crystal, to answer the specific question that inspired the poll: if you can, do both. But study translation first, not just because it will provide you with a professional credential to attract clients, but also (mainly!) because of what you can learn! I thought I was a good translator before I went to school; in fact, I know I was already good. But I'm so much better now because of what I learned! And, studying translation gives you a chance to build a network of face-to-face translator friends (and professors) who can steer clients to you, give you references, and help you out with translation problems (both linguistic and business-related).

THEN, studying in a specialized field is extremely useful. In fact, keep studying all your life.

Welcome to ProZ (I see you're a new member) and best of luck!

Jane

Karen Tkaczyk
Karen Tkaczyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:10
French to English
+ ...
PhD Nov 13, 2007

Hi,
I voted for education, because I think my business would be in much poorer shape if I didn't have a PhD in my specialization. It's not that the other things don't matter, of course they do, but it seems to give potential clients peace of mind. They assume that because I have a PhD in my specilization I'm worth contacting and that I'll get it right for them.
I think it is the thing that has brought me most new work - more than word of mouth, for example, which is very important t
... See more
Hi,
I voted for education, because I think my business would be in much poorer shape if I didn't have a PhD in my specialization. It's not that the other things don't matter, of course they do, but it seems to give potential clients peace of mind. They assume that because I have a PhD in my specilization I'm worth contacting and that I'll get it right for them.
I think it is the thing that has brought me most new work - more than word of mouth, for example, which is very important too.
Karen
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good point Nov 13, 2007

[quote]JaneTranslates wrote:

I think Crystal really wanted answers that prioritized criteria. If she had included "All (or "some") of the above," most people would have chosen that and she wouldn't have gotten the information she wants.

That's what I thought. Too many "All of the aboves" or "Some combination of the above" blur the lines and water down the results, however unscientific they may be.

Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:10
French to English
+ ...
Thanks! Nov 13, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Jerzy and Lorenzo, I think Crystal really wanted answers that prioritized criteria. If she had included "All (or "some") of the above," most people would have chosen that and she wouldn't have gotten the information she wants.

Thank you, Jane. You understood my intentions perfectly. I thought about including a "combination of the above" option, but I was certain that's what most people would choose, and therefore my poll would be useless.

Also, thanks for the advice on furthering my studies. My main obstacles are time and financing, but where there's a will there's a way, right?

Crystal

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:10
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
A combination that includes KudoZ Nov 13, 2007

A complete profile is very important. Fields of speciality can be revealing - and if combined with KudoZ (and projects), the profile becomes especially attractive.
Users of ProZ get acquainted of the good level you have when answering KudoZ - and the good level of KudoZ asked as well. That's when users really see that you have used all the other means available to find the best solution for a complicated term; that you investigate a lot; that you are able to search - and that you are resp
... See more
A complete profile is very important. Fields of speciality can be revealing - and if combined with KudoZ (and projects), the profile becomes especially attractive.
Users of ProZ get acquainted of the good level you have when answering KudoZ - and the good level of KudoZ asked as well. That's when users really see that you have used all the other means available to find the best solution for a complicated term; that you investigate a lot; that you are able to search - and that you are responsible enough as to ask others, more expert than you, when a term to translate is too far-fetched or even unreachable for your own knowledge.
Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Education Nov 13, 2007

is what I picked. I joined proZ about 6 months ago, and have never been short of work since I did.
The reason for this, I think, is a fairly rare language pair, and a medical degree from an English-speaking country.
I have no formal training in translation.

Laura Tridico
Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
I voted for education Nov 14, 2007

Like Hilde, I'm sure that my degree (U.S. law degree) has been a huge help. I'm fairly new to the industry and have no translation degrees, but I'm sure my law degree and professional experience has made clients more willing to take a chance on me. It has certainly helped me build my business faster than I expected. After that, though, it's the quality of the work that keeps them coming back.

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Years of working experience Nov 14, 2007

Before becoming a full-time translator I worked in different companies in jobs related to my education (BS in Business Administration.) I think that is what attracts them, at least for the 1st contact. After that I guess they are just happy with the job done and that attracts them even more

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Personal relationship Nov 14, 2007

My experience is that building up a personal relationship with a client, is very good to convince someone and for customer loyalty. I have several clients who phone me every time they have a job, and that goes like: "I just sent you an email, but I thought I'd give you a ring as well, just to be sure." While they know I always reply to their emails and always cofirm whether or not I can do a job. To attract clients, my specializations and experience are important, but to koop clients, the person... See more
My experience is that building up a personal relationship with a client, is very good to convince someone and for customer loyalty. I have several clients who phone me every time they have a job, and that goes like: "I just sent you an email, but I thought I'd give you a ring as well, just to be sure." While they know I always reply to their emails and always cofirm whether or not I can do a job. To attract clients, my specializations and experience are important, but to koop clients, the personal relationship is a very strong weapon!

Joeri
Collapse

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Certifications Nov 14, 2007

Word of mouth is the best way to get new customers IF you don't have certifications.

Since my getting professional certifications, I am basically turning down work. (Which seems to be seconded by the two people who commented on listing their PhD in their tagline).

When you are certified, your certifying agency will list you, and the best clients will go directly there when looking for a translator.

I wonder how many people who answered this poll have cer
... See more
Word of mouth is the best way to get new customers IF you don't have certifications.

Since my getting professional certifications, I am basically turning down work. (Which seems to be seconded by the two people who commented on listing their PhD in their tagline).

When you are certified, your certifying agency will list you, and the best clients will go directly there when looking for a translator.

I wonder how many people who answered this poll have certifications?

[Edited at 2007-11-14 11:46]

Collapse

Karen Tkaczyk
Karen Tkaczyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:10
French to English
+ ...
No certification here. Nov 15, 2007

Heidi C wrote:

I wonder how many people who answered this poll have certifications?

I don't, and I think you're right that a certification from ATA, for example, or IOL, would bring me a lot of good quality offers. As I said before though, my PhD brings me plenty of new contacts. I turn work down all the time.
Karen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What part of your translator qualifications do you think attracts the most clients?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »