[Edited at 2008-01-11 11:01]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Local time: 00:34
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
I answered "still looking" Jan 11, 2008

because I took it to mean "looking for the secret of my success" (not for jobs. The jobs find me).

Then I saw -- after answering -- that that could mean "still looking for translation work".

It got me to thinking, though. I have no cut-and-dried formula. Just a willingness to share and implement what I know, and help when I can. I never thought about this as "added value", but a conversation with two clients yesterday put a name to it...

I don't back down f
... See more
because I took it to mean "looking for the secret of my success" (not for jobs. The jobs find me).

Then I saw -- after answering -- that that could mean "still looking for translation work".

It got me to thinking, though. I have no cut-and-dried formula. Just a willingness to share and implement what I know, and help when I can. I never thought about this as "added value", but a conversation with two clients yesterday put a name to it...

I don't back down from small extra efforts. When I have to refuse, I always have suggestions on where and how to find someone. PMs often call me for terminology help or to consult on organization. When I last raised my rates, some people said it was overdue. Some others said I had fallen out of the market, but later revised that because no one else gave them the same extras.

All this is hard to transmit because it's all been part of an organic growth, and I never set out to follow any "secrets" -- in fact, if I found some I'd probably share them (provided they don't fall under NDA)
Collapse

HelenG
HelenG  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 23:34
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
I agree with Dinny Jan 11, 2008

The quality of your work once someone actually tries you out is what guarantees success as a translator. I am sure that it is also useful to have a high number of kudoz points but if you have a lot of work, you often do not have time for Kudoz.

Dinny wrote:

It was not possible to click on THE one factor that is "the secret of my success"... in fact, it is not a kind of secret, it is just hard work and TIME. I actually missed the option "the quality of my work".
You start by contacting outsourcers, a lot of outsourcers, and eventually some of them will get back to you to have some work done. If you do that work well, they will get back to you.
This goes for each and every outsourcer that you work with. OK, some of them might need you only in this specific moment regardless of your rate being way over what they want to pay. If they need the job done and cannot find anybody else cheaper they will pay what you ask them to pay - but they might not come back if they have other and cheaper options in the future, regardless of your quality.
But "success" is IMHO working with a bunch of good outsourcers that pay the right rate and on time and keep coming back to you because you do a good job.
It DOES take some time to get there, but if you do a good job, there is NO doubt whatsoever that you will get there eventually.

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The secret of my success in finding translation work is:

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »