Only members can post in this forum

Proz.com is offering a new ‘AI-based translation tool’ with its Premium package? What is it exactly?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 31

I just stumbled across this page:

https://go.proz.com/premium

where I read:

"New premium monthly option with website hosting and AI

Unlock a world of possibilities with the new premium monthly membership option that includes all regular Plus membership benefits, plus personalized guidance with your online presence (including your own website and hosting) and
... See more

where I read:

"New premium monthly option with website hosting and AI

Unlock a world of possibilities with the new premium monthly membership option that includes all regular Plus membership benefits, plus personalized guidance with your online presence (including your own website and hosting) and an AI-based translation tool that comes with training and an exclusive user community.

[…]

AI tool, training and community
On average, 45% of linguists are using AI tools not just to complete projects, but also to generate glossaries, investigate terminology, generate their CVs and bios, and even for inspiration.*

This new Premium monthly option comes with an exclusive AI-based tool, together with training and a supporting community of users to help you boost your productivity."

What exactly is it? Is it any good?

2024-01-31_18-11-10

[Edited at 2024-02-01 11:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-02-01 11:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-02-01 11:20 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bold bug Jan 31

Not sure why when you click on "See more" in my original post, all the text turns bold. Looks like another

0b337ca83a8c7f436224dd21497e8187

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Zea_Mays
Philip Lees

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Jan 31

Michael Beijer wrote:
Is it any good?

Do you really need to ask that?

Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:14
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
As already mentioned, albeit in passing... Feb 1

here,
https://www.proz.com/forum/ai_for_translators_and_interpreters/364537-ai_apparent_consensus_among_freelancers_who_have_tried_it_it_can_be_really_useful_but_be_careful-page2.html

and here,
... See more
here,
https://www.proz.com/forum/ai_for_translators_and_interpreters/364537-ai_apparent_consensus_among_freelancers_who_have_tried_it_it_can_be_really_useful_but_be_careful-page2.html

and here,
https://www.proz.com/forum/ai_for_translators_and_interpreters/365794-prozgpt.html

And in this other forum thread, as you know,
https://www.proz.com/forum/ai_for_translators_and_interpreters/365872-why_cant_non_paying_members_post_in_or_reply_to_various_forum_subs_like_the_one_below.html

As I am sure you've noticed, there's even a 'Premium: AI-community forum, active since November 2023, with access restricted to Premium subscribers,
https://www.proz.com/forum/premium_ai_community_forum-2239.html
as well as a 'Premium: Website community forum'...

[Edited at 2024-02-01 06:08 GMT]
Collapse

Philip Lees
Michael Beijer

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
So Feb 1

Michael Beijer wrote:

I just stumbled across this page
:

"New" ---blah blah

"Unlock a world of possibilities"..... blah blah put me to sleep

...." even for inspiration." No thanks. I get my inspiration elsewhere.

"new" - again ?

" exclusive"--oooh ! I want it because nobody else will have it

" boost your productivity" I don't need to boost my productivity. And if I did, I wouldn't use this ***EXCITING NEW TOOL"""

[Edited at 2024-02-01 08:11 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
Joakim Braun

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
accessibility changed recently Feb 1

The accessibility must have been changed recently (by mistake?) as I was able to read the forums.
I think it is a good idea to let them accessible, as how should other than premium members have otherwise the chance to see if the offer could be of interest for them?

As for the AI thing, well, that's not really a big selling point, since probably all MT tools today are AI-driven. So the tool has to offer some real value in order to be attractive enough.

[Bea
... See more
The accessibility must have been changed recently (by mistake?) as I was able to read the forums.
I think it is a good idea to let them accessible, as how should other than premium members have otherwise the chance to see if the offer could be of interest for them?

As for the AI thing, well, that's not really a big selling point, since probably all MT tools today are AI-driven. So the tool has to offer some real value in order to be attractive enough.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-02-01 09:24 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wanted: any info on the elusive Pastey! Feb 1

Hmm, yeah, I read through all of them, but still very little actual info on what it is, this ‘Pastey’ thing. It is specifically this AI tool that I am interested in. Oddly, there seems to be very little information about it anywhere on the site. I was expecting there to be some more detailed information about it showing what it actually is. Screenshots, etc. People who might be interested in getting the Premium package would surely want to have a closer look at it before deciding to get the Premium package.

I'm actually working on my own little tool (Beijer.bot), which also includes quite a lot of AI powered functionality, which is why I am interested in what Proz has come up with and how it compares to my own tool. You can find some information about Beijer.bot @ https://beijer.bot/ .

When I first heard about the new Proz.com AI tool I was wondering whether it was a repackaged version of CotranslatorAI (https://cotranslatorai.com/).

I'm assuming no one reading my post has actually used it, otherwise we would have had a few screenshots or something by now, right?

Cartoon-on-AI-in-Africa-Source-Source-dreamstimecom-robot-cyborg-holding-planet

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ask the ProZ management Feb 1

Michael Beijer wrote:
...still very little actual info on what it is, this ‘Pastey’ thing. It is specifically this AI tool that I am interested in. Oddly, there seems to be very little information about it anywhere on the site. I was expecting there to be some more detailed information about it showing what it actually is. Screenshots, etc.

Why not ask Henry, or the tech team (or the 'development factory' as they seem to be called these days) back at ProZ HQ? They would be the ones in the know.

Also, in the thread preview list of the 'Premium: AI community forum', there's a post from Tanya Quintieri from staff, reading,
'Hello Premium Members! I look forward to introducing you to ProZ.com's new AI tool Pastey.
You can book your personal intro session with me here: https://calendar.app.google/ujF5AH...'
As a preview, the link is truncated, but perhaps you can contact Tanya and ask her directly? Just a thought

Edited to add some additional info.

[Edited at 2024-02-01 14:19 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yeah, I've asked Support Feb 1

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
...still very little actual info on what it is, this ‘Pastey’ thing. It is specifically this AI tool that I am interested in. Oddly, there seems to be very little information about it anywhere on the site. I was expecting there to be some more detailed information about it showing what it actually is. Screenshots, etc.

Why not ask Henry, or the tech team (or the 'development factory' as they seem to be called these days) back at ProZ HQ? They would be the ones in the know.

and will report back here if I hear anything interesting

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Feb 5

Michael Beijer wrote:
where I read:
"New premium monthly option..."

It's a new super ultra platinum option. You can now choose between paying $120 for regular platinum, $180 for plus platinum, or $480 for premium platinum. Premium platinum gets you everything in the plus package, plus real-human personal consultations with web site experts, plus access to ProZ.com's non-human AI system. At least, I'm guessing it's $480 (that's $180 + $25 x 12). I'm sure there is a market for such a service. I'm not that market.

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
IrinaN
Jorge Payan
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
uhm... Feb 5

"On-boarding calls are required to get your Premium membership started"

Creating buzz and interest by withholding info and making something sound "elite" are well known marketing tricks. But you also need substance.
(I think the 25$/month=300$/year include the Plus package, it's not on top)
Why should someone pay that much when they can get a website - the most expensive part of the package I think - from Yahoo (Turbify) starting at around 80$/year + little
... See more
"On-boarding calls are required to get your Premium membership started"

Creating buzz and interest by withholding info and making something sound "elite" are well known marketing tricks. But you also need substance.
(I think the 25$/month=300$/year include the Plus package, it's not on top)
Why should someone pay that much when they can get a website - the most expensive part of the package I think - from Yahoo (Turbify) starting at around 80$/year + little domain fee with a pretty well working website creator, email addresses, full control over your hosting, web stats and more?
So I can't see the actual added value in:

plus personalized guidance with your online presence (including your own website and hosting) and an AI-based translation tool that comes with training and an exclusive user community

unless the guys are well qualified career trainers. (The AI tool is the less interesting thing there if it is not better than already existing tools - and the speed at that it was developed gives cause to think it is not.)
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Jorge Payan

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
More insight on Pastey Feb 8

Michael Beijer wrote:
Yeah, I've asked Support and will report back here if I hear anything interesting

Hi, Michael.

Having not heard back from you, I suspect you've yet to receive a reply from Support.

In the meantime, I've inquired again about Pastey (yuck!) in another thread, and you can read the additional info yourself,
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/365878-in_case_youve_missed_it_survey_on_perceptions_and_experience_of_prozcom-page5.html
Scroll down the page to the last post from Tanya from the ProZ staff, published today, 8 Feb 2024, at 13:25.

Hope this helps.

Renate Radziwill-Rall
Renate Radziwill-Rall  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
proz job offers Feb 8

proz used to publish tens and tens of job offers every day. Where have they gone?

Anne Maclennan
Eric Azevedo

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great, thanks! Feb 8

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
Yeah, I've asked Support and will report back here if I hear anything interesting

Hi, Michael.

Having not heard back from you, I suspect you've yet to receive a reply from Support.

In the meantime, I've inquired again about Pastey (yuck!) in another thread, and you can read the additional info yourself,
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/365878-in_case_youve_missed_it_survey_on_perceptions_and_experience_of_prozcom-page5.html
Scroll down the page to the last post from Tanya from the ProZ staff, published today, 8 Feb 2024, at 13:25.

Hope this helps.

In fact, Henry himself emailed me personally offering to jump on a call to talk about Pastey, etc. But I've been so busy I clean forgot to reply to him!

Barbara Carrara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz.com is offering a new ‘AI-based translation tool’ with its Premium package? What is it exactly?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »