Forum email notifications seem to be working as expected
Thread poster: brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
Mar 8

Hello,

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
In your case, Novian, can you also check if you received the one that informed you that your post was approved?

To respect Christel Zipfel’s request to not post any more email notification reports in her thread, titled “Complaint about bugs at ProZ (Staff: Update on the software upgrade process)”, I created a new thread to write my report about the status of forum notification system. Details are described below. Please note that the timestamps are in GMT+7.

• I received an email notification for the approval of post #3034331 on March 6, 2024, at 11:09:30 PM

• I received an email notification for the approval of post #3034328 on March 6, 2024, at 11:24:13 PM

• I received an email notification for the approval of post #3034334 on March 7, 2024, at 06:20:02 PM

• I enabled the “email tracking” feature for the thread titled “Complaint about bugs at ProZ (Staff: Update on the software upgrade process)” on March 7, 2024, at 08:41:45 AM

• Post #3034556 in the thread mentioned above was published on March 7, 2024, at 03:07 PM (no data available for the time measurement unit in second). I received an email notification for this post on March 7, 2024, at 10:04:44 PM. Timestamp discrepancy was calculated to be approximately 6 hours and 57 minutes

• Post #3034607 in the thread mentioned above was published on March 7, 2024, at 06:34 PM (no data available for the time measurement unit in second). I received an email notification for this post on March 7, 2024, at 10:10:07 PM. Timestamp discrepancy was calculated to be approximately 3 hours and 36 minutes

• I received email notifications for post #3034618 and posts from #3034622 onward within approximately 1 to 2 minute(s) after the corresponding posts were published

• I disabled the “email tracking” feature for the thread titled “Complaint about bugs at ProZ (Staff: Update on the software upgrade process)” on March 8, 2024, at 08:44:50 AM. The “email tracking” feature was enabled for approximately 24 hours, 3 minutes, and 5 seconds

[Edited at 2024-03-08 11:21 GMT]

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 20:11
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you for your report. I'm sharing this information with the team investigating this issue. Mar 10

Dear Novian,

I hope you're having a good weekend!

Thank you so much for your detailed report. I'm sharing this information with the team investigating this issue —they have found the same delay of approximately six hours, and are looking into its cause.

Either I or a colleague will let you know in this thread once we have an update. Thank you for your pa
... See more
Dear Novian,

I hope you're having a good weekend!

Thank you so much for your detailed report. I'm sharing this information with the team investigating this issue —they have found the same delay of approximately six hours, and are looking into its cause.

Either I or a colleague will let you know in this thread once we have an update. Thank you for your patience!

Don't hesitate to submit a support request » if you need anything else.

Have a great Monday! Best,

Andrea
ProZ.com team
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
TOPIC STARTER
. Mar 11

Er, I believe there's been a misunderstanding. Please allow me to explain why I created this thread since the first place.

As regular visitors of ProZ.com may already know, there was an ongoing issue with the notification system. One of the most voiced concerns was about not receiving email notifications for translation jobs, KudoZ activities, and forum posts. Site staff informed that they were looking into the incident. When I made this post…

Novian Cahyadi wrote:
Commenting to test the forum notification system. My posts need to be approved before being published. If things are working well, I should receive an email notification when this goes live. I'll write several other posts as well, and shall report the result back here.

…my intention was to test whether the problem had been resolved. Due to my familiarity with professional IT sector, and my current involvements in FOSS communities, I adopted a mindset that users of digital products and services are the ideal co-developers. And because of that, I am in full agreement with what Lucia wrote below.

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
I only meant to check with all and each of you in a personalized way the status of notifications (i.e. whether you were receiving them or not after the latest adjustments applied by our developers.) […] This is the kind of information that will help me and the rest of the team working on this issue to fix what is not working and continue delivering on the site's mission.

I was about to give my feedback in the same thread, as promised. However, Christel Zipfel then requested us to stop posting about email notification reports in her thread. I respected her plea, so I opened a new thread to give an update on forum-related email notifications. The idea was to provide data to ProZ.com and confirming that, whatever they did, seemed to has ironed out the bug. Toward the end of my observation, the evidence validated my hypothesis. A one to two-minute deviation is negligible, so it's safe to assume that normal operation of the email notification system—at least for the forum section—has been restored. This data may let ProZ.com to replicate their fix to other sections of this website, in case they were hosted on separate web infrastructures.

So, I was a little perplexed when ProZ.com's site staff changed the title of this thread. To clarify, I'm not reporting a new issue. I'm merely providing data based on an experiment I did. For the record, I received an email notification for Andrea's post in this thread on March 10, 2024, at 12:53:29 AM (GMT+7). The timestamp is identical to when the post was published. If ProZ.com has resolved the problem, I sincerely thank you for all your efforts. I'm well aware that web and system administrations are tough duties to carry.

I hope I've clarified everything to not leave more room for misinterpretations. If my original post was ambiguous in any way, I can only apologize.

For anyone who is still experiencing troubles relating to email notifications, feel free to write them here. I, as the author of this thread, give an explicit permission to post your findings, as long as the discussion stays on the topic outlined above.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Cross-reference:
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/365302-complaint_about_bugs_at_proz_staff_update_on_the_software_upgrade_process-page4.html

Edited for grammar and rephrasing.

[Edited at 2024-03-12 09:28 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thank you, Novian Mar 11

Your post here has made a great difference in assessing results internally. On behalf of myself and the developers who have been tirelessly working on this issue, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to review notifications and publish such a detailed report here on the forum. We truly appreciate it.

We will continue doing our best to resolve all pending issues from the PHP upgrade Henry, the site's founder, has explained in det
... See more
Your post here has made a great difference in assessing results internally. On behalf of myself and the developers who have been tirelessly working on this issue, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to review notifications and publish such a detailed report here on the forum. We truly appreciate it.

We will continue doing our best to resolve all pending issues from the PHP upgrade Henry, the site's founder, has explained in detail here.

Thanks again and you too have a great day!

Lucia

P.S. (I have edited the title, I hope it makes sense now.)
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 00:11
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lucía Mar 12

I sent you an email.
It seems Kudoz's notifications are now working for me too. Thank you for your efforts.
I hope that the other colleagues who had the same issue as me are now also able to receive these notifications.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:11
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Not for me Mar 12

I am receiving closed jobs, just receved one closed yesterday, and also yesterday one closed 8 March

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
TOPIC STARTER
. Mar 12

@Site staff
Would it be possible for you to post a dummy English to Indonesian subtitling job? The job board is not a controlled environment, so I couldn't test it on my own. My specialization fields are “Cinema, Film, TV, Drama” and “Media / Multimedia”. I will report the status back here. Thank you for your cooperation.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thank you, expressisverbis! Let's check yours, Angie... Mar 12

Can you forward me the email notifications you received for the two jobs you mention? That will help me to look into it further. Please forward them to [email protected].

Thanks!

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Jobs send email alerts to all eligible providers Mar 12

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

@Site staff
Would it be possible for you to post a dummy English to Indonesian subtitling job? The job board is not a controlled environment, so I couldn't test it on my own. My specialization fields are “Cinema, Film, TV, Drama” and “Media / Multimedia”. I will report the status back here. Thank you for your cooperation.

I am afraid we cannot post dummy jobs in a language pairs with a high number of providers because this action triggers email notifications and, when testing, we try not to bother the community unnecessarily.

We do have some dummy profiles we use for testing in language pairs that have no representation at ProZ.com (Acoli to Achinese or Afar to Adangme for example). Thanks for your interest in helping us to test though! =)

Lucia

brovxidfmgan (X)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since over a week

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forum email notifications seem to be working as expected

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »