Searching in folder structure (xml files)
Thread poster: Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
Local time: 00:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 9, 2011

Hello,
I was wondering if there is any reliable tool for searching in xml files.
They are organized in a huge folder structure, and it is a pain opening them one by one.
Any proposal?
Thanks.

[Edited at 2011-11-09 18:54 GMT]

Szabolcs Király
Szabolcs Király  Identity Verified
Hungary
Portuguese to Hungarian
+ ...
there are some Nov 9, 2011

Hello,
Try Total Commander (shareware) or Notepad++ (freeware); both have excellent search capabilities.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Effective File Search Nov 9, 2011

I use Effective File Search and am very happy with it. I would download a trial and give it a go with your files to see how it fares. If you decide to buy it, US$ 29.95 for a perpetual license is very cost-effective I reckon.

Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 9, 2011

I have no idea but didn't know I could search in folders.
I will try the other tools.
Thank you Szabolcs and Tomás.

Szabolcs Király
Szabolcs Király  Identity Verified
Hungary
Portuguese to Hungarian
+ ...
You're quite welcome Nov 9, 2011

If you use Windows with indexing enabled you search within the docs' contents with a simple search also; however, I doubt that would be useful for you.
I suggest you search for *.xml at the top-level folder of the xml files, so you get a list of them. Then drag&drop everything to Notepad++ where you use the "search in all open files" function.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching in folder structure (xml files)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »