Thread poster: Nathanael Fourie
Nathanael Fourie
Nathanael Fourie  Identity Verified
Member (2015)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2021

Hi guys

Is there perhaps anyone who knows whether it's possible to configure Google Translate NMT to British English?

I'm using Trados Studio 2021 Pro with the MT Enhanced plugin into which I input my Google Translate API.

In general, I deal with projects into EN(GB), so work with TMs into British English, but when pre-translating I always end up having to make a lot of changes to the text in order to apply British spelling rules.

Is there any
... See more
Hi guys

Is there perhaps anyone who knows whether it's possible to configure Google Translate NMT to British English?

I'm using Trados Studio 2021 Pro with the MT Enhanced plugin into which I input my Google Translate API.

In general, I deal with projects into EN(GB), so work with TMs into British English, but when pre-translating I always end up having to make a lot of changes to the text in order to apply British spelling rules.

Is there any chance I wouldn't have to continue doing this "until my dying day" or is everyone who pre-translates into English forced to use American English until kingdom come?

If it's not possible, could anyone perhaps suggest any other MT solution that is either equivalent to or better than Google Translate that does allow one to pre-translate into EN(GB)?

[Edited at 2021-06-07 09:06 GMT]
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:31
English to Czech
Try Yandex Jun 7, 2021

Nathanael Fourie wrote:

other MT solution that is either equivalent to or better than Google Translate that does allow one to pre-translate into EN(GB)?

A ten years ago Yandex was using en_GB. Today I made a short test:

Czech - CS

Ahoj
na podzim padá listí
Listí padá na podzim
Na jaře prší
analýza činnosti výtahu
fráze v licenci
Se srdečným pozdravem

Google Translate - EN
Hello
Fall falls in the autumn
Leaves falls in autumn
It's raining in the spring
Analysis of the elevator activity
phrase in the license
Sincerely

Yandex - EN
Hi.
in autumn leaves fall
Leaves fall in autumn
In the spring it rains
analysis of elevator operation
license phrases
With warm regards

Milan

Nathanael Fourie
Nathanael Fourie  Identity Verified
Member (2015)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using Yandex MT in Trados Studio via Intento MT plugin Jun 7, 2021

Thanks Milan

I did some reading and it seems as though the only way to use Yandex with Trados is to bring it in via the Intento MT plugin.
However, when registering an Intento account I noticed that they force you to spend a minimum of $25 upfront to use the plugin.

That doesn't make sense to me, because the actual MT provider, e.g. Yandex in this case, is charging per character, so they would be charging you depending on how much you use the service and then Inte
... See more
Thanks Milan

I did some reading and it seems as though the only way to use Yandex with Trados is to bring it in via the Intento MT plugin.
However, when registering an Intento account I noticed that they force you to spend a minimum of $25 upfront to use the plugin.

That doesn't make sense to me, because the actual MT provider, e.g. Yandex in this case, is charging per character, so they would be charging you depending on how much you use the service and then Intento would be charging a flat fee of minimum $25 as well.

Am I understanding this correctly or not, because I wouldn't want to pay more money than necessary?

Yandex has given me a 60-day trial period. For me to use Yandex in Trados I'd have to do so via the Intento plugin.
That means I'd have to pay $50 for the "free" 60-day trial from Yandex (which doesn't make business sense at all).

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

[Edited at 2021-06-07 09:53 GMT]
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:31
English to Czech
I use free access and free CATs Jun 7, 2021

Nathanael Fourie wrote:

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

I am using OmegaT, DGT-OmegaT (or BasicCAT) and some on-line CATs. For short translation (a limit is one page) of text I use QTranslate (MS Windows application to access web-MT services).

There are another two free EU on-line services

* eTranslation
** EU Council Presidency Translator
--
* eTranslation (it is easy to get EU-Login) and results in TMX or XLIFF)

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/etranslation/translateDocument.html

(see more: http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-04/26/cs/01.html )

Example of a translation of the same text:

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/etranslation/translateTextSnippet.html

Hi. Hi.
in autumn, leaves fall
Leaves fall in autumn
It rains in the spring
analysis of lift activity
phrases in the license
Sincerely sincerely
----
** EU Council Presidency Translator (there are plugins for SDL Trados but for prominent users only).

For "text translation" is access here:

https://presidencymt.eu/#/text

Hello
leaves fall in autumn
Leaf falls in autumn
Spring
analysis of the operation of the lift
phrases in the licence
Yours sincerely,

Milan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

British English MT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »