Kristof Haavik
Kristof Haavik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:35
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 17, 2022

I bought Trados a while back but my computer died before I learned to use it, and somehow it didn't make the transfer of my files to a new computer, so I never became familiar with it. Right now I'm working on a PDF in Adobe and it's causing all kinds of problems. Can someone tell me: if I upgrade Trados (they tell me I still have the license so I don't have to buy it like a new customer), will it take a PDF and lay it out in columns, one for the original, one where I write translation, with al... See more
I bought Trados a while back but my computer died before I learned to use it, and somehow it didn't make the transfer of my files to a new computer, so I never became familiar with it. Right now I'm working on a PDF in Adobe and it's causing all kinds of problems. Can someone tell me: if I upgrade Trados (they tell me I still have the license so I don't have to buy it like a new customer), will it take a PDF and lay it out in columns, one for the original, one where I write translation, with all formatting (fonts, color, layout, etc.) taken care of for me, like when I've used programs like MemoQ? And then when I'm done, put it in a PDF I can deliver to the client? You can answer me here or directly to my email at [email protected]. Thanks. Merci.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Maybe Jul 17, 2022

Kristof Haavik wrote:
I bought Trados a while back...

Which version do you have? Some versions have very good PDF support. This page says that scanned PDFs can be handled by Trados 2015 and newer. Note that if you only have Trados 2015 (or earlier), you can't "upgrade" but you have to pay the full price. Of course, if you have Trados 2015 or newer, then you should be able to do this already.

Will it take a PDF and lay it out in columns, one for the original, one where I write translation, with all formatting (fonts, color, layout, etc.) taken care of for me, like when I've used programs like MemoQ?

Yes, the latest one works like that (but earlier ones also do, so check which version of Trados you have). However, how good the conversion is will depend on the complexity of the PDF file. Trados converts the PDF file into a Word file, and then translates the Word file.

And then when I'm done, put it in a PDF I can deliver to the client?

AFAIK Trados saves it as Word file only. You have to then use a separate (third-party) PDF conversion utility to convert the Word file back to a PDF file.

[Edited at 2022-07-17 08:30 GMT]

Kristof Haavik
United States
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 17, 2022

Thank you for the advice. I initially tried opening the PDF with Word and Wordperfect but neither of them gave me a version I could use. Will Trados do it better?
The other solution is of course to get the Adobe Indesign the document was created with, but the thing won't download. I don't know if the problem is on their end or mine, but it won't work, and of course no one is there for tech support.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kristof Jul 17, 2022

Kristof Haavik wrote:
Will Trados do it better?

I find that the Trados conversion is typically better for translation purposes (e.g. it doesn't split lines into separate paragraphs like some other PDF conversion software does). If you have Trados, try it. Which version of Trados do you have?

This video explains how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cg178rJY1o

Kristof Haavik
United States
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure Jul 17, 2022

Not sure but relatively recent.

Kristof Haavik
United States
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And as for Adobe... Jul 17, 2022

if anyone uses Adobe Cloud, maybe you can tell me: HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU SAVE ON IT???? I can find no save command anywhere, so the system just saves whenever it feels like it, often interrupting work, and takes so long that the only way you can get it to unfreeze is to reload the page, which means losing part of the work you just did. Is it really asking too much to be able to save a document when YOU want instead of leaving it to the random choice of a machine?

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
If your PDF still needs OCR... Jul 17, 2022

...and contains thousands of text fields, then forget it with Studio. But when you are able to copy all text and even tables you need and paste it anywhere easily, then Studio delivers good results. The PDF then will be saved as an MS Word file very similar to the source PDF. Maybe a friend or colleague could test it for you.

Stepan Konev

Kristof Haavik
United States
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
text I'm working on Jul 17, 2022

It is a government document composed of a mix of things: paragraphs of information, labels on charts and graphs that appear as little tiny boxes for editing, a lot of photos in between. Will Trados work for that?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:35
English to Russian
Trial version Jul 17, 2022

Even though Trados has never been an OCR software and you have to convert your pdf file into docx and tidy up the file if you really want a good layout comfortable for work, you still can download a 30-day trial version and see how it works with your file(s).
You can download it from this page.

[Edited at 2022-07-17 11:35 GMT]

Kristof Haavik
United States
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK. Jul 17, 2022

I'll see about it. Thank you.

Kristof Haavik
United States
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Meanwhile... Jul 17, 2022

until I get Trados working, what I need to know is something extremely simple: How do you save a document in Adobe Acrobat? The cloud-based version I am using has no save command (that I can find); the system just interrupts to save when it wants, often jamming so you have to reload the page and lose part of what you just did simply to get it to work again. Is someone really so ignorant he put out a program with no Save function?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need information on software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »