Unurbat Baljinnyam
Unurbat Baljinnyam  Identity Verified
Mongolia
Local time: 07:44
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2022

Hi everyone,

I have not used Trados studio before, only did the human translation. I am keen on trying Trados as I need to meet many of the new clients' requirements. Do any of you use Trados Studio Starter version? Is it suitable for a beginner, who has an occasional job offer?

Thank you for your advice.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Unurbat Aug 29, 2022

Unurbat Baljinnyam wrote:
I have not used [any CAT tools] before. I am keen on trying Trados [Studio Starter] as I need to meet many of the new clients' requirements.

I haven't used the Starter version of Trados, but it looks like it could be useful. See the comparison table here:
https://www.trados.com/products/trados-studio/starter/

Essentially:
1. Can translate only 1 file at a time.
2. Can't customize some types of projects settings.
3. TM is limited to 5000 segments.
4. No terminology support.
5. No machine translation support.
6. Can also work with SDLPPX files.

(If client sends an SDLPPX file, translator can use all functionality included in it, including e.g. machine translation, if the client had added it to the package... but I'm not sure if this also includes glossaries.)

If you've never used CAT tools before, then some of the information in the comparison table might not make much sense, so it's possible that a client might ask you to do something and the it turns out that the Starter version doesn't allow it.

Starter costs €110 per year. The full "Freelance Plus" version of Trados costs €700 for a 7-year license (the web site says €925 but there is a permanent "discount" on the Trados website, so it's always going to be about €700). And you may be able to get the full version some time during the year for an additional discount e.g. here or via a local reseller here.

If you think that you can spare €110, then I would recommend that you try the Starter version, and if you like it (and feel that it can make you money), buy the full version. It's actually cheaper to buy the full version outright than to use their "upgrade" option.

[Edited at 2022-08-29 10:38 GMT]

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio Starter version

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »