Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 21, 2005

I recieved some documents, which are mainly English. However some sentences are already translated. I went through the text and declared the translated segments as the source language (German). Now I thought I would change automatically all German segments with attribute "Red marching ants" so that Wf would recognise them as not translatable. But the search and replace function does not recognise the German segments as German. It finds only such segments which I have translated myself with Wordf... See more
I recieved some documents, which are mainly English. However some sentences are already translated. I went through the text and declared the translated segments as the source language (German). Now I thought I would change automatically all German segments with attribute "Red marching ants" so that Wf would recognise them as not translatable. But the search and replace function does not recognise the German segments as German. It finds only such segments which I have translated myself with Wordfast, the target segments.
How do I get Word to format segments so that they are recognised by the search function als German? Do I have to apply a style? How does Wordfast mark the target segments, so that they are recognised properly?

Thanks for help!
Heinrich
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:32
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
SR Oct 21, 2005

If you choose search for format-language-german, and replace with format-font-text effects-red marching ants Word will find all the text marked as german, and put the red marching ant effect on that text. Put Wordfast to ignore this effect, translate and do a new SR to remove the MRA.

You might try to set Word to automatically find the correct language first.

Ivan

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word does not find the assigned German segments Oct 22, 2005

As I stated above.
Regards
Heinrich

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:32
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
MS Word version Oct 22, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

As I stated above.
Regards
Heinrich

It might depend of version of MS Word. Works fine in ver 9., service pack 3. I have picked up that ver 10 have more bugs than the average MS Word version, and that Word 97 (ver 8) is the most stable one beside 2003 (ver 11).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to format pretranslated segments?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »