DeepL now translates complete MS Word files
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jul 18, 2018

DeepL now translates complete MS Word and PowerPoint files, and keeps the formatting:

https://www.deepl.com/blog/20180716.html

It has to be evaluated, how inter-segment terminological consistency is achieved. And how this feature can be used by CAT tools, in order to avoid manual tagging.

[Edited at 2018-07-18 05:58 GMT]

Elena Mordenti
Elena Mordenti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:49
German to Italian
+ ...
DeepL very useful! Jul 18, 2018

Thank you for sharing Hans, I found it when translating from German into Italian on Pons website. The meaning of texts translated sounds good.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Use alignement Jul 18, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:
DeepL now translates complete MS Word and PowerPoint files, and keeps the formatting:

https://www.deepl.com/blog/20180716.html

It has to be evaluated, how inter-segment terminological consistency is achieved.

It isn't (which is consistent with my previous tests with DeepL: they don't go beyond the sentence).
I just tried a French to English PowerPoint translation.
"balise" (tag) was translated correctly by "tag" in one segment, but by "beacon" in the segment just above.

And how this feature can be used by CAT tools, in order to avoid manual tagging.

At least in OmegaT, you just have to align the initial and translated documents. Apart from having to ignore the two lines at the beginning (Subscribe to DeepL Pro to edit this presentation. Visit www.DeepL.com/Pro for more information.), the alignment was perfect, including formatting.

Didier

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for verifying! Jul 18, 2018

Didier Briel wrote:

I just tried a French to English PowerPoint translation.
"balise" (tag) was translated correctly by "tag" in one segment, but by "beacon" in the segment just above.

Just as I expected. This makes us still useful .

the alignment was perfect, including formatting.

Expected that too. So, actually there isn't much benefit of using this procedure, when one already uses the API. Except for the formatting.

[Edited at 2018-07-18 08:18 GMT]

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Tested on 1 file Jul 18, 2018

Elena Mordenti wrote:

Thank you for sharing Hans, I found it when translating from German into Italian on Pons website. The meaning of texts translated sounds good.

I tested it on one file from Italian to English. Superficially it seemed OK but on closer inspection it required a complete rewrite, including corrections to a considerable number of glaring, unforgiveable errors and a general stylistic polishing-up.

May save some time at the "first hit" stage but no more than that. The quality may be OK for the casual user (exercising due caution) but is nowhere near good enough for serious work, e.g. official documents, texts intended for publication, or legal papers.

[Edited at 2018-07-18 13:57 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Need more proof? Jul 18, 2018

Untitled-1

"Means" evidently used as a noun, translated by Artificial Intelligence (?) as a verb. "Operated" just ignored. Mistakes my 8-old year niece probably wouldn't make.

Source: I took the abstract from a random patent found on the web, at https://patents.google.com/patent/US3780711 . It took like 40 seconds to find this further proof of deepLy sucking. I could give you 600 of these a day.

If you call yourself a professional, stay away from this s... uhm ... stuff. With the kind of clients I work with, one of these and you're done. And I totally agree with this philosophy.

[Edited at 2018-07-18 15:40 GMT]

Tom in London

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
I just did a little test Jul 19, 2018

When Deepl tranlates "Vor Zecken sollte eindringlich gewarnt werden" as "Ticks should be warned urgently" - which is the same translation Google Translate produces, I don't think I trust it too far.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL now translates complete MS Word files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »