Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Catherine Sep 11, 2021

I apply a minimum surcharge of 25% to rush jobs, but I prefer to invoice those jobs on a case by case basis. I must say though that I do not charge extra for rush jobs from my long-standing customers, small assignments for next day are pretty much routine and most of my clients have reasonable requests.

Ester Vidal

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:19
French to English
. Sep 11, 2021

I told a client 30% extra, but then reduced it to 25% simply because I don't need a calculator for that!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Rush fees are a con… Sep 11, 2021

… unless they force you to work outside your normal working hours, for which I charge double.

But if they want something later today and I have nothing else on, why should I charge more?

IrinaN

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
In my experience Sep 11, 2021

There seems to be an odd psychological barrier to applying rush rates.

Clients will happily eat rate increases and high minimum fees, but will fight you on rush rates, even if they previously suggested and approved them.

I had a curious case of a major client that took great offense at several attempts to charge their own approved 30% rush rate, but when I just raised my base rates +50% instead, wasn't the least bit bothered.

I would guess that this is eith
... See more
There seems to be an odd psychological barrier to applying rush rates.

Clients will happily eat rate increases and high minimum fees, but will fight you on rush rates, even if they previously suggested and approved them.

I had a curious case of a major client that took great offense at several attempts to charge their own approved 30% rush rate, but when I just raised my base rates +50% instead, wasn't the least bit bothered.

I would guess that this is either due to internal processes (PMs forced to jump through hoops to approve additional expenses on an existing job or judged for attempting it) or simple laziness.

It's most certainly not actually about the money itself, the same client also regularly pays me $50 minimums for half-page revisions.
Collapse

Edward Potter

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same Sep 12, 2021

My rush rate is my regular rate.

If you start with a lower rate to be increased for rush jobs you are already on your back foot.

I do it the other way around. My regular rate is my rush rate, and perhaps I'll give a discount on special occasions.

Philip Lees
Batchimeg Sambalkhundev

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:19
Greek to English
None Sep 12, 2021

I don't have a rush rate because I don't accept rush jobs.

OK, occasionally, from long-standing clients. But I make it very clear that I don't like it and they had better not make a habit of it.

Nadja Balogh
Laurent Di Raimondo

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
0 Sep 13, 2021

Zero, that is. I'll charge my usual fee.

If something takes x days, my effort will be the same whether the deadline is x days or 10x days or x months from now.

To me, rush fees seem just a petty attempt to take advantage of an emergency.

Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:19
Member (2008)
Italian to English
50% Sep 14, 2021

I never charge a rush fee but if, by prior agreement with the client, a very urgent job requires me to work long hours, and/or to work through the weekend, I may add 50% to my usual rate.

Tomasz Sienicki
Laurent Di Raimondo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rush fee

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »