The price for Language Quality Assurance
Thread poster: Lamine Boukabour
Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 09:34
Italian to English
+ ...
Terms, terms, terms... Nov 30, 2023

Just to note that, as usual, terms like 'proofreading' are not being used here in accordance with the definitions of European Standard EN ISO 17100.

The usual reaction to this kind of objection is along the lines of 'Yes, but you KNOW what I mean!' or 'But Trados uses "proofreading" too.' These reactions fail to explain what we should call actual proofreading if we now use that word to describe revision.

It just seems to me that if translation is to be taken seriously
... See more
Just to note that, as usual, terms like 'proofreading' are not being used here in accordance with the definitions of European Standard EN ISO 17100.

The usual reaction to this kind of objection is along the lines of 'Yes, but you KNOW what I mean!' or 'But Trados uses "proofreading" too.' These reactions fail to explain what we should call actual proofreading if we now use that word to describe revision.

It just seems to me that if translation is to be taken seriously as a profession (before it's killed off - see almost all other forums), the relatively short list of services we provide should be given their standard names.

It's also worth noting LQA is not among the list of standard LSP services and neither is it listed in EN ISO 17100's Annex F on other value-added services (although the Annex's list is, wisely, non-exhaustive).

So I guess LQA, like Eminem/Marshall Mathers back in the day, is whatever you say it is.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
SchmISO Nov 30, 2023

Tony Keily wrote:

You’ll have to forgive me Tony for never having read that standard and having no intention of ever doing so because the ISO needs to butt out of translation. They lost me years ago when they invented ISO 9001(?) so that agencies could convince clients that two crappy translators do a better job than one good one.

I call it checking. You call it revision. Some call it proofreading. Like with me and ISO, I honestly don’t think anyone cares…

Lingua 5B
Christine Andersen
Anna Sarah Krämer
Jennifer Bovell

José Julián Díaz
José Julián Díaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Beware of “bastard translations” Dec 5, 2023

I’ve been entrusted with LQAE for a long time with the same outsourcer for several outstanding corporate customers, and we went through some surprising events of firms providing us with documents that they handed over as “translations”. As time went by, that awkward situation became a regular one with different important international firms.
The original deal, however, was the following: if the changes represented less than one-third of the total words, the rate was 1/3 of the normal
... See more
I’ve been entrusted with LQAE for a long time with the same outsourcer for several outstanding corporate customers, and we went through some surprising events of firms providing us with documents that they handed over as “translations”. As time went by, that awkward situation became a regular one with different important international firms.
The original deal, however, was the following: if the changes represented less than one-third of the total words, the rate was 1/3 of the normal rate; if the changes represented more than one-third and less than half of the total words, the rate was 1/2 of the normal rate, and if the changes represented more than half of the total words, the rate was 2/3 of the normal rate.
In practice, such a situation was initially fair for the three parties involved, i.e., the customer, the outsourcer, and me. As machine translation became more regularly used, we have come upon some awkward cases where it was crystal clear that the documents to be LQAEed were simply processed with some translation software with no human intervention whatsoever, which eventually led me to call these projects “bastard translations” since they were only created with a simple click.
I had some cases where my suggestion was to charge 100% of the normal rate, which was seldom approved, and the most common scenario in such unfortunate situations was to get 90% of the common rate.
Moreover, such projects usually have restrained TATs, and cumbersome projects naturally require more time, which brings about additional conflicts.
A similar situation happened with MTPE. Outsources often say these projects have good quality but you never know for sure what you are going to receive. Therefore, dear friends of mine, my humble suggestion is certainly to offer an hourly rate both for LQAE and MTPE, which being honestly seen by all three parties, happens to be the only fair situation.
Well, that’s it. Best regards!
JJ
Collapse

Lamine Boukabour
Zea_Mays

Lamine Boukabour
Lamine Boukabour  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 08:34
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
@José Dec 8, 2023

Thank you for sharing your experiences with LQAE and MTPE projects. Your suggestion of an hourly rate for transparency and fairness is thoughtful and pragmatic.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The price for Language Quality Assurance

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »