Lamine Boukabour
Lamine Boukabour  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 13:15
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
Nov 28, 2023

Greetings, fellows,

Could you provide me with some insights on the pricing for Language Quality Assurance in translation?

Would it be more appropriate to set the price based on hours rather than the number of words? The effort involved depends on factors, with the amount of linguistic errors being the most prominent. This, in turn, affects the effort and time needed for correction, correct? What if the client asked for a word price?

Thank you!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lamine Nov 28, 2023

I haven’t done much LQA as it is much more time-consuming than editing or proofreading. I don’t accept being paid by word, only by hour. If the client doesn’t agree (as it happens often) I tell them as politely as I can to find someone else (I prefer translating by far…).

Thayenga
Endre Both
Christine Andersen
Dalia Nour
Walter Landesman
José Julián Díaz

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Maria Nov 28, 2023

Thank you for sharing your insights on LQA. I'm currently contemplating my pricing structure for it and leaning towards charging 3/4 of the price of translation. It seems to better capture the time and effort involved. Appreciate your thoughts!

Christine Andersen

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
All inclusive Nov 28, 2023

Lamine Boukabour wrote:

Greetings, fellows,

Could you provide me with some insights on the pricing for Language Quality Assurance in translation?

Would it be more appropriate to set the price based on hours rather than the number of words? The effort involved depends on factors, with the amount of linguistic errors being the most prominent. This, in turn, affects the effort and time needed for correction, correct? What if the client asked for a word price?

Thank you!

It's included in my rate. No extra charge. Language quality is the first thing a client should have the right to expect.

As for correcting the language quality of someone else's translation: I'd rather spend my time picking maggots out of rotten meat.

[Edited at 2023-11-28 18:21 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Walter Landesman

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Tom Nov 28, 2023

Thank you for your input; that's why I am contemplating charging 3/4 of the standard translation price.

Tom in London

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
30% Nov 28, 2023

Lamine Boukabour wrote:

Thank you for sharing your insights on LQA. I'm currently contemplating my pricing structure for it and leaning towards charging 3/4 of the price of translation. It seems to better capture the time and effort involved. Appreciate your thoughts!

Checking/proofreafing/editing is normally charged at about a third of the translation price.

You would want an hourly rate for it ideally but agencies generally want a word price, which should even out across jobs in the same way as with translation.

Lamine Boukabour

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Christopher Nov 28, 2023

In my experience, I typically charge half of the translation price for editing (which involves revising the translation while checking the source text) and one-fourth of the translation price for proofreading (revising the target text only). Your insights are appreciated.

Christopher Schröder
Esther Dodo

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
LQA Nov 28, 2023

It sounds as if LQA might be something different then…So what is it?

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
LQA Nov 28, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

It sounds as if LQA might be something different then…So what is it?

As far as I know, LQA means editing a translation and then log each error in a spreadsheet, explaining why the translation is wrong, the type of error, its severity and the recommended translation.

Lingua 5B
Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
Lamine Boukabour
Hauke Christian
Sebastian Witte
Rita Translator

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hourly then! Nov 28, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:
As far as I know, LQA means editing a translation and then log each error in a spreadsheet, explaining why the translation is wrong, the type of error, its severity and the recommended translation.

Ah, OK, I did that a couple of times under a different name. Took forever. Definitely by the hour!

Zea_Mays
Endre Both
Christine Andersen
Dalia Nour
Walter Landesman

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Maria Nov 29, 2023

Based on your definition of LQA, and assuming the client insists on paying by word, what are your thoughts on charging him 3/4 of the translation price (e.g., if the translation rate is 0.1 USD/word, it would be 0.075 USD/word for LQA service)?

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lamine Nov 29, 2023

It’s entirely up to you, as I said before I don’t accept being paid by word, only by hour.

P.S. LQA takes more time than translating...

[Edited at 2023-11-29 14:01 GMT]

David Fleming
Endre Both
Walter Landesman

David Fleming
David Fleming  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:15
Member (2023)
Japanese to English
Totally agree with the LQA comment Nov 30, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

It’s entirely up to you, as I said before I don’t accept being paid by word, only by hour.

P.S. LQA takes more time than translating...

[Edited at 2023-11-29 14:01 GMT]

I absolutely agree. The last time I was asked to "edit" a translation (that had been produced by the cheapest person that the client could find) was so full of errors that it was faster to redo it myself than to explain *why* everything was wrong. The words "horrifying incompetence" might have been involved... That client no longer uses translation checkers/editors at all. Because they think we cost too much.

Tom in London

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 14:15
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
These days LQA could be anything ... Nov 30, 2023

... from reviewing and/or rating the quality of someone else's work to correcting a horrible machine translation.

If you absolutely want to quote by word, identify the expectations of the client very well and get a sample of the translation before sending a quote.

I would charge per hour though, and I tend to keep away from funny acronyms, because many are just a fancy-sounding excuse to want to pay me less for my work.

Lamine Boukabour
Endre Both

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Anna Nov 30, 2023

Thanks for the valuable insights!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The price for Language Quality Assurance

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »