Farshad Sadoughian
Farshad Sadoughian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:19
Member (2021)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Mar 14

3 years ago I started medical translation. I sent my resume to an established medical translation agency and then I started my work. At first, they didn't send me many projects, but gradually I became their main translator. Seemingly, they are very satisfied with my service.

My translation rate is 0.08 USD/w for them. Now I'm thinking of contacting with other medical translation agencies and get more projects. "Assuming that I provide a high-quality translation service", what do you
... See more
3 years ago I started medical translation. I sent my resume to an established medical translation agency and then I started my work. At first, they didn't send me many projects, but gradually I became their main translator. Seemingly, they are very satisfied with my service.

My translation rate is 0.08 USD/w for them. Now I'm thinking of contacting with other medical translation agencies and get more projects. "Assuming that I provide a high-quality translation service", what do you think about my rate? Should I increase it or is this a competitive rate?

Thanks!

[Edited at 2024-03-14 02:28 GMT]
Collapse

British Diana

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:19
German to English
+ ...
Hi Farshad, Mar 14

If you approach a company for work, don't you think the recipient might google your name? They might well find this very discussion, and that might not be in your interest.

Just a friendly word of advice.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Marijke Singer
Cetacea

Farshad Sadoughian
Canada
Member (2021)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi! Mar 14

I don't mind at all. I want to come up with a reasonable price and stick with it. If the agency accepts it, I'll work for them; otherwise not. Fortunately, my life doesn't depend on getting new projects.

[Edited at 2024-03-14 01:41 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Mar 14

Are you a translator or an interpreter? Both? The title of your thread says “interpreter rate” but all the text speaks of translation…

Anyway, $0.08/word for medicine seems very low. My rate EN/PT for medicine starts at €0.12/word.

Farshad Sadoughian
Liviu-Lee Roth
Luiza Tinetti

Farshad Sadoughian
Canada
Member (2021)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 14

Actually I'm both, but here I meant 'translation rate'! Thank for correcting me.

Ok, so I should consider raising my rate, thank you!

Liviu-Lee Roth

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:19
English to Swedish
+ ...
Compare with other similar profiles Mar 21

Looking at a the CVs and profiles pages of a few English>Persian medical translators here at proz.com, I get the impression most have their rates btw. 0.06 and 0.10 USD per word.

https://www.proz.com/translator-directory

Farshad Sadoughian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical translation rate: suggestions needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »