Thread poster: Sarah Appleby (X)
Sarah Appleby (X)
Sarah Appleby (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:23
German to English
Sep 1, 2010

Good afternoon,

I am currently a Trados 2007 user but a major client is switching to Transit NXT and has asked me to purchase it. The information on the STAR website seems quite superficial although they do mention "TMX compatibility with other translation memory (TM) systems". If that's the case, is there any reason I couldn't continue using Trados to translate and then deliver a TMX file with a cleaned up file to the client? My problem comes if they insist on "uncleaned" files or
... See more
Good afternoon,

I am currently a Trados 2007 user but a major client is switching to Transit NXT and has asked me to purchase it. The information on the STAR website seems quite superficial although they do mention "TMX compatibility with other translation memory (TM) systems". If that's the case, is there any reason I couldn't continue using Trados to translate and then deliver a TMX file with a cleaned up file to the client? My problem comes if they insist on "uncleaned" files or whatever these are called in Transit.

Tools like WordFast and MemoQ offer compatibility with Trados and Transit so would that be a workable/cheaper option for me? What features of Transit might I come unstuck with if I simply use a compatible tool instead?

Thanks for your comments. I thought it would be easier to ask you guys than continuing to trawl through sites and forums that don't seem to answer my question!

Sarah
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:23
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No compatibility to Trados 2007 Sep 1, 2010

You will NOT be able to work for this particular customer with T2007.
Transit NXT really forces you to either purchase NXT (ridiculous pricing, though) or to test MemoQ. This one should be compatible, however I did not test this myself.
But some experienced colleagues state this and I trust them. Nevertheless I would use the test version of MemoQ to translate a job for this customer and see, if it works.

Sarah Appleby (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Sep 1, 2010

Thanks Jerzy, that is what I feared. Found a good and helpful comparison of SDL Trados Studio 2009 (which I had contemplated upgrading to) and MemoQ on the Kilgray website
(http://kilgray.com/memoq/memoQvsTrados09.pdf). Couldn't find anything similar for Transit though.

If MemoQ is genuinely compatible with Star packages that could be the way forward and the best all-roun
... See more
Thanks Jerzy, that is what I feared. Found a good and helpful comparison of SDL Trados Studio 2009 (which I had contemplated upgrading to) and MemoQ on the Kilgray website
(http://kilgray.com/memoq/memoQvsTrados09.pdf). Couldn't find anything similar for Transit though.

If MemoQ is genuinely compatible with Star packages that could be the way forward and the best all-round solution for me. I really don't want to have to handle multiple software packages unless absolutely necessary. Will do some testing and more research!

[Edited at 2010-09-01 16:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-01 17:24 GMT]
Collapse

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
I use both Transit and Trados... Sep 1, 2010

Dear Sarah,

If you would receive regular projects in Transit, I would suggest you to purchase one license of NXT. I have been a Trados user for many years and I have one license of Transit NXT Freelance because I occasionally do some projects in it. In my view, this is a very good software (although more complicated) and their technical support is excellent. It will take you some time to learn its main features, but translating projects sent by your clients is not complicated. Their
... See more
Dear Sarah,

If you would receive regular projects in Transit, I would suggest you to purchase one license of NXT. I have been a Trados user for many years and I have one license of Transit NXT Freelance because I occasionally do some projects in it. In my view, this is a very good software (although more complicated) and their technical support is excellent. It will take you some time to learn its main features, but translating projects sent by your clients is not complicated. Their webinars are very good as well. The only disadvantage is that the license is more expensive (check with your Star representative) and it can only be installed on one computer. You can get a test version for a month or so and work in it for a while in order to decide if you like it or not. I tried workaround procedures with Transit files earlier, but honestly, it was a lot of hassle and a lot of lost time and in the end it simply did not work.

I do not have any experience with MemoQ, but I also heard that it supports multiple formats. Please, let us know your experience so that we can perhaps opt for that software if it really works with Transit or other formats.

I wish you a lot of success with your projects!

Best regards,

Ana

[Edited at 2010-09-01 17:42 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Appleby (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Planning to compare and contrast Sep 1, 2010

Thanks Ana for the useful information. I think I will try and test both products and will report back in due course.

Happy translating, Sarah

Roberto Bertuol
Roberto Bertuol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Transit vs Trados Sep 2, 2010

Hello,
you can now buy a time-limited licence from the Transit Nxt webshop (http://shop.star-group.net/) and test it out. A three-mopnth licence will set you back 75 euros and you can then possibily upgrade the type and length of the licence. My own experience of MemoQ is not very good....in the past I tried to import Transit pxf files in MemoQ, but unsuccessfully.
As to tmx compatibility, unfor
... See more
Hello,
you can now buy a time-limited licence from the Transit Nxt webshop (http://shop.star-group.net/) and test it out. A three-mopnth licence will set you back 75 euros and you can then possibily upgrade the type and length of the licence. My own experience of MemoQ is not very good....in the past I tried to import Transit pxf files in MemoQ, but unsuccessfully.
As to tmx compatibility, unfortunately, in some cases tmx files need some tweaking in order to be used without problems by other CAT tools, so this is why agencies want you to work with their own CAT tool. Plus when it comes to tags, each CAT tool has a different way of handling them...
Try and ask the agency you work for if they can sponsor part of the cost of your Transit licence if they really want you to work with them
Hope it was helpful.
Roberto
Collapse

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
memoQ - Transit compatibility Sep 2, 2010

Dear Sarah,

I used to have Transit NXT and used that program quite often in 2009. Then I switched to memoQ and have never faced any compatibility problems yet. Transit XV and NXT project files (including dictionaries and reference files) are opened seamlessly, and you can provide your customer with the outgoing package files the need. In January I sold my Transit NXT license but none of my Transit NXT customers have even noticed it.

If you are searching for an all-round
... See more
Dear Sarah,

I used to have Transit NXT and used that program quite often in 2009. Then I switched to memoQ and have never faced any compatibility problems yet. Transit XV and NXT project files (including dictionaries and reference files) are opened seamlessly, and you can provide your customer with the outgoing package files the need. In January I sold my Transit NXT license but none of my Transit NXT customers have even noticed it.

If you are searching for an all-round CAT tool that is able to handle both Trados and Transit projects, memoQ is definitely worth a try.

Cheers,

Gyula

[Módosítva: 2010-09-02 08:08 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados-Transit compatibility

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »